Question

Tutor
gingervitis89
Message 1 of 22 (8,830 Views)

no boot disk has been detected or has failed

so after the heroic fail of hp's customer service center of this 5 month old computer i bought a new hard drive to replace my faulty one. I installed it into the desktop itself and everything's plugged in and i can feel it spinning and working. 

when i try to boot the computer up it comes to a black screen and says " error no boot disk has been detected or has failed"  i can bring up the boot menu and it shows the new hard drive in there and it shows that it's being recognized and working and everything but 

i just did a hardware diagnostic and the hard drive connection test passed but the boot test did not, error code 3f0 saying boot sector corrupted/not found

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 22 (8,823 Views)

Re: no boot disk has been detected or has failed

Hi:

Did you reinstall the operating system using your recovery disks?

Paul

Tutor
gingervitis89
Message 3 of 22 (8,821 Views)

i don't have the discs for that, from what i remember this desktop didn't come with any but in either case i don't have them. is there a place i can order them or would it just be simpler to go to best buy or whatever to buy them

Tutor
gingervitis89
Message 4 of 22 (8,818 Views)

i didn't create any recovery disk because my computer had crashed but i have a roommate that can make one, what steps do i need to take to recover it once i put the disk in and boot the computer up
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 5 of 22 (8,807 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

What is the full model number of your PC?

Recovery disks are system-specific.

I also have some workarounds where you can make your own operating system installation DVD's if your PC came with Windows Vista or Windows 7, and you can read the 25 character Microsoft product key that is on the Microsoft COA sticker on the top or side of your PC's case.

If your PC came with XP, your only option would be to purchase a set of recovery CD's.

Paul

Tutor
gingervitis89
Message 6 of 22 (8,805 Views)

the model number is h8 1214, i had my roommate burn a recovery disc from her windows 7 computer so i put that into my computer and at least now i get the recovery manager from hp but the only 2 options i get are to do a computer checkup, when i click on that the only thing i can open is the command prompt, the other option is to contact hp
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 7 of 22 (8,799 Views)

Hi:

Below is the info on how to go about ordering recovery disks.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

In the meantime, try this workaround...temporary until your recovery disk set comes, or it can also be a permanent fix if you want...

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft windows 7 product key, you can download plain Windows 7 ISO files to burn to a DVD for the version of windows that came installed on your PC, and that is listed on the Microsoft COA sticker on your PC's case.

Burn the ISO using the Burn ISO option on your DVD burning program and burn at the slowest possible speed your program will allow. This will create a bootable DVD.

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

The key will activate either a 32 or 64 bit installation.

Then go to the PC's support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

Link to the W7 ISO file downloads is below.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Paul

Tutor
gingervitis89
Message 8 of 22 (8,792 Views)

i put the iso onto a disc and into my desktop however when i click next it is looking for drivers to install yet it's not finding any on the disc, was there something that wasn't downloaded or is there another place i can go for that
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 9 of 22 (8,788 Views)

Hi:

Are you sure you burned the ISO file as an ISO file?

Are you saying you can boot from it but then it says it needs DVD drivers?

If yes, that is a bad burn. There are no advance drivers that need to be installed when installing W7.

You can also try installing via a 4 GB or larger USB flash drive. Then you shouldn't get any install errors.

Here's how:

Download the MS W7 USB installation tool, and read the instructions on the page for use.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

You may also need to do this mod like I did if the flash tool errors out.

Download the bootsect file form http://www.everettsporting.com/bootsect.zip

You will need to go to the control panel, select the large icon view, go to the folder options icon, View tab, and select the show hidden files and folders option.

Once downloaded, copy the BootSect.exe file to the same folder that includes the installed Windows7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool.exe file. The default install directory of that file in Windows 7 is C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Apps\Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool\

Run the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool application as indicated on the Microsoft Store web site. The end result will give you a bootable USB flash drive that contains everything you need to install the 64-bit version of Windows 7.

Paul

Tutor
gingervitis89
Message 10 of 22 (8,784 Views)

it didn't completely download before, it was only about 2 gigs, but i downloaded and burned it again and it was the full 3 gig file, i did burn it as .iso and it comes up with the message saying it needs dvd drivers
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation