Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if the power supply on my hp is bad or not. The green light on back of the tower is flashing and the computer won't turn on. I've tried all of the preliminary things and nothing works -- the green light keeps blinking until I disconnect the large plug to the motherboard, then the light stays on and doesn't blink. Once I have the power cord disconnected and the main plug to the motherboard disconnected as well, I then have tried replugging the power cord and then replugging the main plug to the motherboard (kind of trying to jump start it), the fan tries to come one (but only for a second, then goes back off, so it won't boot).

Does anyone know if this means that the power supply is bad or if something else might be wrong? I'm wondering if the power supply would be bad when the computer is clearly trying to start, but not quite making it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If the PSU blinks it needs to be reset.

unplug the electrical cable from the wall and the PSU.

move the red voltage selector to the opposite position it is in and then slide it back. If you live in the USA 120Vac-->220Vac-->120Vac see the image below.

voltage selector switch.png

After you have done this you can plug the power cable back into the PSU.  Connect the power cable to the wall power. If the PSU is still serviceable it will no longer be blinking.

Best regards,

erico

Edited to fix the broken image link.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

81 REPLIES 81
HP Recommended

What model of HP do you have?

Here is the generic troubleshooter for HP PSU:http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph06788

If it's the PSU, let us know. I will gladly offer suggestions on a new PSU that fits your model.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

It's a Pavilion a6200n. There was a power outage and that's when the comp wouldn't start and the light starting blinking. I have disconnected the big plug on the motherboard and that makes the green light stay on without blinking. If I disconnect the same plug from the motherboard while the comp is plugged in, and  then replug it into the motherboard, the fan tries to come one most of the time, but it won't start. I've gone through these checks already, but haven't disconnected everything because the light comes on when you disconnect the big plug. Thanks for getting back to me. What do you think?

HP Recommended

You need to folow the steps exactly.

IMHO, I would try a new PSU,  as your old 250W is marginal. Dimensions: 140L x 150W x 86H mm (5.5" x 5.9" x 3.4")
Efficiency: 68% minimum at full load. When you pull it out, it probably states 200W on the 12v rail.

You can do better with a 80+ efficiency PSU in the 350-430W range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182202

This one will give you 396W on the 12v rail.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

My wife's computer has been having the same problem several times. One solution I found that worked before was to unplug the motherboard power cable and the PSU power cable from the back of the PC and then connect the power cable and connect the motherboard power cable while holding down the power button. Scary, to say the least, but it worked, until one day I accidentally flipped the wrong breaker and then spend two hours trying the same solution with no luck and Googling again. And here is what I found. This is the simplest yet crudest solution. It’s easy and non invasive and it doesn’t matter how tech savvy you are. Take a blow dryer and turn it on to blow air at the back of the power supply for a couple minutes. When you see the light turn green you’re all set. It's worked for me after it worked for a hundred others, maybe more. See the testimonials on this site: http://talk19.wordpress.com/2008/01/13/hp-m7088d-power-supply-led-blinks-green/. It’s a shame that nothing like this appears on any HP site. So don’t waste your money on a new MoBo or PSU. All you need is your wife’s hair drier.

HP Recommended

Thanks paulmar, I've also had to do the same procedure everytime the electicians come. I always forget to turn off this old HP Presario SR1103WM that I use as an ever-running server and end up with the green LED light flashing on the power switch. Anyway, as you said,

unplug the PS power cord,

unplug the Motherboard (MoBo) main connector,

reconnect the PS power cord,

hold down the power switch on the front of the desktop,

CAREFULLY (I know, scary),

reconnect the MoBo main connector while still holding the main power switch down.

btw. Wear some thin latex gloves if it makes you feel better.

What I can add to your comment is only that sometimes it takes SEVERAL times (10?) before the PC kicks in and the power really starts, so just keep keep plugging and unplugging that MoBo main power plug several times while holding the front PC switch until you hear the fans start to go. Of course there's always a possiblity that you really do have a bad PS, especially if it's over 8 years old or so in my experience. Good luck everyone.

CH-iao

HP Recommended

If the PSU blinks it needs to be reset.

unplug the electrical cable from the wall and the PSU.

move the red voltage selector to the opposite position it is in and then slide it back. If you live in the USA 120Vac-->220Vac-->120Vac see the image below.

voltage selector switch.png

After you have done this you can plug the power cable back into the PSU.  Connect the power cable to the wall power. If the PSU is still serviceable it will no longer be blinking.

Best regards,

erico

Edited to fix the broken image link.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
It worked it worked....thank u thank u thank u.....7 mos without a home computer because i thot it was my motherboard....
HP Recommended

@saltlife69 wrote:
It worked it worked....thank u thank u thank u.....7 mos without a home computer because i thot it was my motherboard....

You are quite welcome.

regards,

erico

HP Recommended

OMG, this idea was fabulous! At first I was worried because it was taking so long for the green light to become solid, but just when I almost gave up, it was solid... Who knew that a hair dryer (my wifes hair dryer) would work! The power of the internet with its search engines are the BOMB! Thanks guys. Like you said be patient, and it will get done...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.