Question

Top Student
smithdp
Message 1 of 3 (468 Views)
Accepted Solution

nvstor64 errors - HDD failure to read data

System Backup and Restore fails to complete -- upon investigation, about an hour into the backup operation the system event log records a large number of nvstor64 errors - "failure to read data from HDD" and the backup operation aborts.  Upon investigation, I found that the nvstor64 driver replaced the windows HDD drivers during a video card upgrade to the computer.  After numerous contacts with nvidia support and further investigation, the problem is narrowed down to apparent failure of the second backup harddrive (Seagate 1 TB Baraccuda - inservice since 2/2011).  When running the HP HDD diagnostic on this drive, it fails hard at the step "SMART short self test" with the error message "first fails LBA 45511183".

Here is my question.  Running the DOS chkdsk utility on this disk passes -- no bad sectors.   The HDD is visible in the operating system and appears to be fully accessable.  I have moved 100 GB of files off the disk to others in the network with no apparent problems.  What does the "SMART short self test" actually test?  Is this a "false positive" test failure??

Paul

Pavillion  p6210f

Windows 7 64 bit

6 GB system memory

C: HDD  WD 1 TB 7200 RPM

F: HDD  Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 2 of 3 (456 Views)

nvstor64 errors - HDD failure to read data

Hello smithdp,

The SMART test does extensive testing on the hard drive. Here is the Wikipedia insert for the short test (they can explain it better than me).
http://goo.gl/XYCvm.
Short
Checks the electrical and mechanical performance as well as the read performance of the disk. Electrical tests might include a test of buffer RAM, a read/write circuitry test, or a test of the read/write head elements. Mechanical test includes seeking and servo on data tracks. Scans small parts of the drive's surface (area is vendor-specific and there is a time limit on the test). Checks the list of Pending sectors that may have read errors. (Usually under two minutes.)

With that being said it's not perfect as no test is, it could be wrong or it could be spot on. Sometimes the SMART test can give a warning, but the drive not fail for another month+ it's just a "heads up"

Now with your error in particular LBA is the Logical Block Address. The error you are getting is that there was a block (45511183) that the test found an error on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Top Student
smithdp
Message 3 of 3 (446 Views)

Re: nvstor64 errors - HDD failure to read data

Guess I'll wait for a hard failure and move the rest of the data off the disk in the meantime. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation