Question

Tutor
Jerros
Message 1 of 15 (1,467 Views)
Accepted Solution

p6130nl Making noise after installing windows 7?

[ Edited ]

Hi, I've removed Windows vista and installed Windows 7 (using custom install, not 'upgrade', so the computer was cleaned) but now it makes a loud buzzing noise when switched on. It had always made this noise then booting up, but usually it became quiet after the booting had finished. Now, the noise persists. I've already opened it to check the fans, though they don't seem to be the problem; the noise persist even when I prevent the fans from spinning.

What's the problem, and how to fix this? It seems odd to me that something like cleaning the PC (removing all programs etc., not 'cleaning' the desktop itself) and installing Windows 7 can suddenly cause hardware problems...

Thank you in advance!

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 15 (1,442 Views)

Re: p6130nl Making noise after installing windows 7?

[ Edited ]

Jerros wrote: Hi, I've removed Windows vista and installed Windows 7 (using custom install, not 'upgrade', so the computer was cleaned) but now it makes a loud buzzing noise when switched on. It had always made this noise then booting up, but usually it became quiet after the booting had finished. Now, the noise persists. I've already opened it to check the fans, though they don't seem to be the problem; the noise persist even when I prevent the fans from spinning. What's the problem, and how to fix this? It seems odd to me that something like cleaning the PC (removing all programs etc., not 'cleaning' the desktop itself) and installing Windows 7 can suddenly cause hardware problems...

Thank you in advance!

Hello Jerros, Sometimes when a fresh install is performed, and the partition is not deleted and a new partition created, there may be some issues with the Master Boot Record (MBR). You may also need to see if a new BIOS release is available.

On many HP systems, the processor fan is controlled by the BIOS and when Windows loads, it is then controlled by the operating system. This would result in the fan running at the lower speed.

Here  is a link to a BIOS update. You may already have updated the BIOS, and it shows the BIOS update for Vista, and some of these BIOS updates want install when Vista is not the operating system being used for the BIOS update.

I would suggest that when performing a fresh install of the operating system, delete the exisitng partition and then create a new partition, format the new partition and continue with the install process.

This approach has saved me many times when issues resulted in a fresh install when the original partition was not deleted and a new partion created.

You might need to insure that all the drivers for the system are installed, especially the chipset drivers.

Just some thoughts.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Tutor
Jerros
Message 3 of 15 (1,420 Views)

[ Edited ]

It might have something to do with the BIOS, yes, since all drivers and BIOS updates have been removed as well. Though the link you provided only works for Vista; and the whole problem started when removing that OS and installing Windows 7 (the latter being the current OS). Are there similar updates for Windows 7 as well?

and regarding partitions - there are no partitions, and as far as I know there never were either, except for the factory image and c:/.

And the fan isn't the problem I think, since the noise persists when the fans are prevented from spinning for a couple (for a brief period of time of course).

So it might be the drivers or bios then that need to be updated. Any links for that too?

Thank you for the reply!

*EDIT* It seems that there are no updates for the BIOS for Windows 7 64-Bit at the moment, so that couldn't have been the problem. Also, I still don't get why updating drivers or anything would make the noise go away, but as long as it works I'll try anything!

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 15 (1,409 Views)

Hi Jerros,

Open up your PC and try to determine what is making the noise when you boot up.  It might be the video card.

The bios update referenced by HANS needs VISTA to be running before it will install.  There are ways of applying the update without VISTA running but process has more risk to it and it is not approved by HP.

Try this procedure:

Unplug the PC and open it up. Clean out all the dust. Carefully remove and replace all the cables going to the motherboard one at a time. Do the same for the memory dimms and the video and sound cards if you have any.  You might want to buy a can of compressed air to blow the dust out of the CPU heat sink.  Plug your PC back in and give it a go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Tutor
Jerros
Message 5 of 15 (1,397 Views)

[ Edited ]

Opened it and cleaned the lot already. That doesn't seem to be the problem. Also, the noise came after installing Windows 7, so it's quite unlikely that exactly during those ~20 minutes enough dust gathered to cause the noise.

And it always made this noise from the start, but ONLY when booting up, as soon as windows showed it went silent. The problem now is that even after windows shows, the boot-up buzz stays. I'll just open it up again, and clean it again like you said, though that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Thank you for the reply.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 15 (1,391 Views)

Jerros,

Leave you PC open during boot up and see if your can determine what is making the noise. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Tutor
Jerros
Message 7 of 15 (1,357 Views)

Okay, I'll try.

Though it might have something to do with the video card drivers not being updated. I'm getting all kinds of errors now, and the display got messed up. Unfortunately, the HP site doesnt offer downloads for the p6310nl. When I try the drivers from other p6310 computers listed, it states that the pc doesn't have the mininum capabilities (which I can hardly believe, since it's relatively new and quite a good pc).

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 8 of 15 (1,351 Views)

Jerros wrote: Okay, I'll try. Though it might have something to do with the video card drivers not being updated. I'm getting all kinds of errors now, and the display got messed up. Unfortunately, the HP site doesnt offer downloads for the p6310nl. When I try the drivers from other p6310 computers listed, it states that the pc doesn't have the mininum capabilities (which I can hardly believe, since it's relatively new and quite a good pc).

Hello Jerros, Here  is a link for the specifications for your system. It shows there is an option for an onboard Intel video device as well as an addon Nvidia video card.

Here  is the link to Nvidia where you should be able to locate and download the drivers for the Nvidia video card if you have this card installed in your system.

Here  is the link the Intel where you should be able to locate and download the drivers for the Intel onboard video device if this is the video device you are using.

Hope these drivers will install and help with your video issues.

Tutor
Jerros
Message 9 of 15 (1,334 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you. I've managed to install the drivers, though there's the last problem that wen I boot the PC, it gives an error message stating that the drivers can't be used untill the BIOS get's updated. I have no idea where or how to do that, though I'm searching on alot of forums now. All those 'spXXXXX' files from the HP site still state that the pc doesn't meet the minimum requirements (which is far from true).

Probably, once the bios is updated the origional problem (computer making noise, not being the fans) will stop too.

Once again, thank you for the reply, your help is greatly appreciated!

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 10 of 15 (1,315 Views)

[ Edited ]

Jerros wrote:

Thank you. I've managed to install the drivers, though there's the last problem that wen I boot the PC, it gives an error message stating that the drivers can't be used untill the BIOS get's updated. I have no idea where or how to do that, though I'm searching on alot of forums now. All those 'spXXXXX' files from the HP site still state that the pc doesn't meet the minimum requirements (which is far from true).

Probably, once the bios is updated the origional problem (computer making noise, not being the fans) will stop too.

Once again, thank you for the reply, your help is greatly appreciated!

Hello Jerros, Here  is the link for the BIOS update for your system. These BIOS updates usually run from within Windows and will reboot the system in the process.

The issue with this BIOS update is the BIOS seems to require Windows Vista to be installed in order to update this BIOS. It does address thermal issues, so it may resolve the issue you are experiencing.

As Big_Dave suggested, this Vista required BIOS update can be applied by other methods than reinstalling Vista just to accomplish the BIOS update, but it is a little more envolved and risky process than just a simple Desktop update.

It may be, that to get your system to work properly, Vista may need to be reinstalled, run the BIOS update and then reinstall Windows 7. This is a little extreme, but may be the only way to resolve all your issues.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation