Question
p6130nl Making noise after installing windows 7?
Replies (14)

Tutor
Jerros
Message 11 of 15 (597 Views)

Re: p6130nl Making noise after installing windows 7?

I'll try to do it within vista then, thank you. Though I don't have any CD containing Vista, and there's no recovery disk of the desktop; how to revert it back to the fabric configuration (or how to install Vista) without that?

Thanks once again, your help is really appreciated!

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 12 of 15 (590 Views)

[ Edited ]

Jerros wrote: I'll try to do it within vista then, thank you. Though I don't have any CD containing Vista, and there's no recovery disk of the desktop; how to revert it back to the fabric configuration (or how to install Vista) without that?

Thanks once again, your help is really appreciated!

Hello Jerros, Usually you can Tap the F-11 key when the system boots with the HP/Compaq Logo screen.

If the HP Recovery Restore partition is not corrupted and still intact, you should be able to access the HP Recovery Restore Utility, where you should select to perform a destructive recovery. This will wipe the hard drive clean and also create a new MBR.

This should get you back to how the system was shipped from HP.

You could then update the BIOS and then try to install Windows 7.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Tutor
Jerros
Message 13 of 15 (565 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the suggestion.

I believe the original partition is still intact (it shows HP-Factory image), though the odd thing is that when I boot the PC, it won't react to F11 at all. It shows "press F11 for system recovery", but even spamming the button wont do any good. All the other F-XX commands from the menu work fine though; only the system recovery one seems to ignore the buttonpress.

Hopefully I can find a copy of vista, though it's getting really annoying all in all by now.

Thanks once more for the helpful comments.

Tutor
Jerros
Message 14 of 15 (546 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've managed to pinpoint the source of the noise; it's a fan after all, but a third, smaller one which is in the center of the desktop, mounted on a printplate. It's in a small black box which is why I hadn't noticed it before.

The graphical driver issue is still unresolved, but at least it seems unrelated to the noise.

Which brings back a burning question: Why did that fan decide to make noise after installing windows 7? It used to go silent after Windows had booted, but now the fan keeps on buzzing where it used to go silent...

EDIT:

The noisy fan is the one on the NVIDIA GeForce GT220 thingy:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee492/Jerros666/c02086240.jpg

Plus it gives the error: "Unable to load NVIDIA Display Driver - You must update the video BIOS for the NVIDIA GeForce GT 220."

I'm running low on ideas....

Tutor
Jerros
Message 15 of 15 (520 Views)

I've managed to solve it after a night of messing around; installing new drivers didn't work whatsoever, since the problem stays that it doesn't load the driver until the Video Bios was updated. And installing other windows OS's didn't help either, or formatting the drive etc. etc. etc.

However, in the end I just set all disk partitions to non-active, rebooted the PC, and got into some weird menu (never saw that one before) that forced the desktop back to factory defaults (including the 'congratulations with and welcome to your brand-new purched desktop', lol), and after all was done the graphic card got recognized again and the errors stopped. Being curious, I installed Windows 7 again, and all the problems started once more. After another reset, I installed Windows 7 for a third time, but this time using 'update' rather than clean-install, and that seems to work fine so far.

So: set all partitions to non-active and reboot the PC. That did it for me in the end.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation