Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, I just buy a HP pc last month and now i try to install 2 pcie x1 card... one for HDTV input and the other card for 4 port USB 3.0 hub

none of these is detected by the pc... like all the pcie slot are desactivate...  but when i check in the bios they are all activate... i check on google for some solution and i try everything... nothing work...

i try to desactivate the video card, remove the video card x16 and select the onboard video card... 

i try to other free pcie x1 slot (i got 3 on my motherboard)

i try to update the latest bios version on the driver download page

i try to install windows 7 unstead of windows 8

nothing works!!

so what is the problem? the pcie x16 work fine because its the video card that is plugged in and it work... the probleme is with all the 3 pcie x1 slot

thx

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Here are the specs for your HP ENVY h8-1569 Desktop Computer and its IPMMB-FM (Formosa) motherboard. According to the specs this model supports SLOT SECURITY as follows;

Use the Slot Security screen to enable or disable the PCI Express Slots on the computer. To change the setting, use the up and down arrow keys to move to the slot. Then press the left or right arrow key to change the setting. Press F10 to accept the changes or ESC to cancel and return to the previous menu without saving.

Figure 20: Slot security
Slot security

Please see "BIOS Settings for the Formosa Motherboard" for all possible BIOS settings.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

thx for the reply... but this is the first thing i try to solve the problem... they are all enable.... i test to disable also all of these... and still not working.. so i let it to all enable

HP Recommended

Hi totallyfreak,

I have same issue with 2 differents TV cards (HP Elite 7500, mother board IPMMB-FM). Did you find a solution?

Thanks

Kdg35

HP Recommended

Random comments re HP PCIe Gen2 slots and older gen 1 cards

I purchased a HP Z230 Workstation, Intel i7,  computer on the 24th of January. It has 4 PCIe slots. I tried to install a new Hauppauge Win TV-HVR 1800 internal HDTV card (a x1 card) into the x1 slot and the computer would not recognize it, (failed to detect it).
Trouble Shooting: I tried a second identical (1800) new card, and it would not recognize it. I tried a third identical (1800) known working TV card (pulled from a HP DC7800 that I have) and it was not recognized. I tried a Avermedia AVERTV Bravo Hybrid PCI-E (model H788) and it was not recognized.  I tried a second a Avermedia AVERTV Bravo Hybrid PCI-E (model H788) and it was not detected.   Lastly I tried a Hauppauge WIN TV-HVR 1250 card and finally the computer  detected the card. This 1250 card was a pull from my HP DC7800 and I do not want to remove it from that machine on a permanent basis. Each of the cards get hot when they are in the machine, which I assume means that they are getting power. They do not show up in device manager as an installed device (problem device or otherwise). I have tried the cards in each of the PCI-E slots, obviously starting with the x1 slot first. I also put into the x16 slot a new Radeon HD5450 just to see if the slot was active and the OS recognized the card. I do recall that when I was trying each of the slots I received a two messages of a sucessful install but not of the TV cards, it was a sucessfull install of "Intel(R) 8 Series/c220 Series PCI Express Root Port #x-8Cxx installed" or a variation of the message. I then put the two new 1800 cards into two separate HP DC7800 computers and they both worked fine. So I am positive that the cards are OK, and the problem is that the Z230 will not recognize them. Is there a hotfix for this or some other solution. I bought these two Hauppauge 1800 cards new to go into this machine.
It is not an issue of drivers. Win TV can be found at http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr1800.html, and the Avermedia can be found at http://www.avermedia-usa.com/AVerTV/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=440
The problem is that the Hauppauge CARDS (the HVR 1800's) are not recognized or detected or enumerated, BY THE OPERATING SYSTEM, and if one tries to install the drivers and WinTV for an unrecognized card the install program says that no device can be found and quits the installation. I did not try the avermedia software. I did try to install the Hauppauge card as a legacy device, but when I ran the HAUPPAUGE SOFTWARE TO INSTALL THE DRIVERS, IT SAID THAT NO DEVICE COULD BE FOUND.
The Avermedia AVERTV card and the Hauppauge card that were in my HP DC7800, (the H788 AND hvr 1800) are both installed and running under Windows 7 Home premium. Both cards function perfectly in Windows Media Center and as standalone cards for their respective operating programs (WINTV for the Hauppauge, and AverMediaCenter for the Avermedia card).
Upon inserting one of the heretofore referenced cards into any of the PCIe stots, I see Nothing in the device manager. No bang, no exclamation point, no "other device", no problem device, nothing.  Unless there is something special about this machine, I expect that when a plug n play card is installed, and the machine is turned on, windows recognizes it and attempts to install software for it. If it fails the device ends up in the device manager as a problem device with a small exclamation point in a triangle. There is no recognition of the various cards that I have tried. There is no problem device. This is my first ownership of a machine with windows 7 Pro. I have two HP DC7800 CMT computers, one with windows 7 home premium and one with windows 8.1 with media center. These cards (the Hauppauge 1800's and the Avermedia Bravo (H788) all work in those machines. They installed in those machines without any problem. To the best of my information I have never had a computer not recognize a plug and play card. I have had trouble installing cards, but never a recognition problem.
In searching the internet I found this website that discussed the problem with my particular card, the 1800. The website is: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35163-Rampage- IV-Extreme-Issues-with-Hauppauge -HVR-1800-TV-Tuners
It says that the card is a v 1 card and will not be recognized in a PCIe v2 slot without a bios update or a way to change the slot to a v1.
I also found this information on a intel forum website:
https://communities.intel.com/message/162879
"The Hauppauge WINTV-HVR-1800 is among a group of TV tuner cards that use the Conexant CX23887-14Z. It was replaced by a newer part in September 2007 in order to correct a link training compatibility problem with PCIe 2.0 chipsets that prevents the CX23887-14Z from enumerating in a PCI Express 2.0 slot. The WinTV-HVR-1850 has the newer part."
The site goes on to say that a bios fix for the TV cards was in the works. My TVCard the Hauppauge has the conexant chip mentioned. My avermedia card does not.
Further Problems:   I borrowed a asus MyCinema ESS 100/naq/fm/av/rc TV PCIe card and inserted it into the X1 slot and the computer recognized the card. As I heretofore stated the cards that do not work in this computer (this z230) worked fine in two separate HP 7800 computers, one running windows 7 and the other running windows 8.1. It is ridiculous that they would not work in this computer. The bottom line is that the computer is defective. The failure to remedy the problem is a breach of warranty. I should not have to purchase two more brand new TV tuner cards when I already have two brand new TV tuner cards, that were purchased in August of 2013.
On the day that I purchased the Z230 I also purchased a Z220 (with a i7 processor), the z230 arrived first so it is the machine that into which I have been trying to install the TV Cards. The Z220 Serial number 2UA4060KVC. I have spent the past 6 hours or so trying to install any one of the my three Hauppauge HVR 1800 TV cards and my two Avermedia H788 cards in the Z220. Just like the Z230, they will not install. The Operating system does not recognize them as being in the machine. I would like for one of these machines to work for my intended purpose, which is primarily video capturing and rendering. I did not buy these high end machines to run office and surf the internet. They in essence were purchased to upgrade from two HP DC7800 core 2 duo 3 GHz machines. I have shelled out roughly $3600.00 to find out that they cannot run a $70 +/- video tv card manufactured by major brand manufacturers. I was in the process of buying two high end laptops, but I am now afraid to stick with HP. I know it does not matter but over the years I have owned probably 30 HP computers, many of which were still functioning up to the time of a fire last year when they were all destroyed. I am not replacing 30 but I am starting to replace what I really need, given the insurance proceeds available to me.
I guess that I did not mention this but after repeated failures of trying to install the Haupauge 1250 and the ASUS card I did disable the requirement thet the drivers be digitally signed.  This did not change anything.  I got exactly the same results.  It is not a matter of the driver, it is a matter of the PCIe slot, especially as to my three 1800's and my two avermedia cards.  In essence I have three 1800, tow h788 one 1250, and one asus ES3 100 which will not install, in either of my brand new HP computers (the Z220 and the z230)
    In all  candor I do not believe that the digital signature is a concern.  Please recall that the Hauppauge 1250 card was removed from a DC7800 running windows 8.1 64 bit (one of my DC7800's.
    In further surfing re PCIe v 1.x versus Gen 2 slot compatibility I came across the following concerning a problem installing a Hauppauge 2250 card into a dell Gen 2 PCIe slot.  Note this was in December 2013 (two months ago)
________________THIS IS THE START OF THE THREAD_______________
Inspiron 660 incompatible with internal TV Tuner cards and possibly many other PCIe cards
Eclectic-Dean    
Posted by Eclectic-Dean
on 9 Dec 2013 3:00 PM   
My brand new inspiron 660 desktop computer will not detect any of the PCIe TV Tuner cards that I have tried. This includes a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 card (which Dell recommended) and an AVerMedia model# A188 part# MTVHDDuet. The cards are all detected and work in an older e-machines computer but are NOT detected in any of the PCIe slots on the i660. The BIOS has been updated to version A11 and the Mother Board was replaced by a Dell field technician this morning. The TV Tuner cards do no show up in the Windows Device Manager list. If I install the 64-bit Windows-7 drivers manually then they report a code-10 indicating that the cards can not be detected and did not start. A old IEEE 1394 expansion card is detected in the PCIe slots so I am now pretty sure that the problem is some type of software compatibility issue and not two Motherboards with bad PCIe interfaces. I noticed that other people have reported the same problem with the HVR-2250 TV Tuner and the i660 desktop. I also found that the Dell XPS8500 had a problem detecting some PCIe cards which was resolved with version A09 if its BIOS (item #5 on the list of fixes). I have spent a significant amount of money and many hours (actually days worth) of time with Dell's technical support trying to get these cards to be detected and function. At this point, their best advice is to buy a USB TV Tuner card and try that. I was really hoping to get the dual TV Tuners cards to work. Unfortunately, I can no longer take back this computer to OfficeMax for a refund.
pcie, avermedia, not detected, TV tuner, Inspiron 660, hauppauge, desktop, A188, PCI Express, HVR-2250, MTVHDDUET
0    Reply
    Eclectic-Dean    
    Posted by Eclectic-Dean
    on 30 Dec 2013 10:03 PM
    Follow-up:
    Per Dell's technical support recommendation, I reformatted the hard-drive and re-installed the Windows 7 operating system.  Per their instructions, I only installed the LAN driver from the Dell driver disk.  I then downloaded and installed the latest Chipset drivers from the Dell website.  The HD reformatting was required because the latest Chipset drivers would not install in place of the existing older Chipset drivers.   This did NOT correct the problem.  I am now spending all of my time re-installing programs and backed-up files and trying to remember various software settings and configurations.
    Not giving up; I ordered a HVR-2250 TV Tuner card from Dell (after they assured me that it would work).  Thankfully, it was immediately detected and works great.  I did notice that the original HVR-2250 card was marked "REV C3F2" while the newest one from Dell is labeled "REV C4F2" (note 3 versus 4).  I contacted Hauppauge to ask them about the problem.  Their reply was: "The older revision will not be recognized on newer motherboards which use Gen2 or Gen3 PCIe slots."  I  have been unable to find anything related to the PCIe revision compatibility on the Hauppauge web site.
    I believe that the Dell Inspiron 660 has Gen2 PCIe slots (because it uses an Intel B75 Chipset).  I thought that the various PCIe revisions are supposed to be backward compatible so that older PCIe v1.x cards will still function in motherboards with later generation 2.0 slots.
    At this point I do not know if the problem is with the previous three TV Tuner cards (from two different manufacturers) or the Dell Motherboard hardware or the Intel Chipset or drivers.    0
    Eclectic-Dean    
    Posted by Eclectic-Dean
    on 31 Dec 2013 5:27 PM       
    This is the reply that I received from Hauppauge asking for more information about the defect in their product.  I do not know if this is the same issue with the two other AVerMedia TV Tuner cards that were also not detected....
    Hello,
    There is no revision information on the web site.  There was only a small run of HVR-2250 with this particular issue.  When it started to occur we simply swapped out the affected cards.  If you purchased the board within the last 2 years (the warranty period for the card) and can provide proof of purchase we can go ahead and swap the card out for you.

The problem occurs when the PCIe root complex (North bridge of the chipset on the motherboard) and the PCIe end point (in this particular case the NXP chip on our cards) do not finish the training sequence (TS1,TS2) and the bus traffic between the root complex and the end point are keeping busy in a retrain loop. This is caused by the  North Bridge register "Target Link Speed" (TLS ) setting not auto changing from 5Gb/s to 2.5Gb/s, which is required for 1.x backward compatibility.  When the problem cropped up a few years back some motherboard manufactures released new BIOS which corrected the problems but many didn’t bother since the older Gen1 PCIe chipsets were being phased out by manufacturers such as ourselves.    
    Regards,    Ray Rodriguez    Technical Support    Hauppauge Computer Works    New York
    http://www.hauppauge.com
        Reply    osprey4         Posted by osprey4    on 31 Dec 2013 7:26 PM     

Hi Eclectic-Dean,    Good to hear you've resolved it.    Happy New Year!    Please post back and let me know if you need more help.
    Osprey
        Osprey's Toolbox
        Osprey's optical drive troubleshooting guide
        MS CD/DVD fix (upper and lower filter trick)
        Operating system installation guides
        Reply    Eclectic-Dean    
    Posted by Eclectic-Dean
    on 13 Jan 2014 9:50 PM      
    Happy New Year, indeed.   Dell Technical Support called me again to follow up on the problem.
    They wanted the part number and revision code from the first Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 card.  During the conversation I learned some more information:
    * The BIOS (& Driver software) is unique to Dell and is NOT the same as the Motherboard's (or hardware) OEM software.
    * Only the products purchased from Dell are guaranteed to work with the Dell PCs.  Products from other vendors (even with the same model numbers) may not function properly.
    It is too bad that Dell paid to replace my motherboard (and I wasted several days of my time) since the cause of the problem appears to be an incompatibility with how the Dell BIOS handles some older PCIe-1.X cards.
    I must say that I am impressed with how much effort Dell has made to make sure that I am eventually satisfied with their product.  Hopefully Dell's Technical Support will use this experience to help other customers when they have problems moving their older PCIe TV Tuner cards to their new Dell PC.    0       
        Reply    RoHe         Posted by RoHe    on 13 Jan 2014 10:41 PM      
    Glad Dell was able to help you sort out this problem.
    And thanks for posting the details you learned while exploring the fix. Yes  Your info will certainly help other users who have reported issues with TV tuner cards.
    There seem to have been a number of issues with PCI-e cards, aside from tuner cards, when Intel switched to newer generation processors and chipsets.  Guess the PCi-e card manufacturers didn't keep up.
Link to intel site discussion re older TV cards not being recognized by newer boards and the bios fix.    I think the discussing located therein is extremely telling concerning 2nd generation PCIe slots and older TV cards.  As you can see the thread started in June or so and in November Intel had fixed the problem.  I cannot even get you to acknowledge that this is HP's problem.  I guess there has not been enough people to complain, or HP doe not care.
https://communities.intel.com/thread/29254?start=45&tstart=0

______________end of cut and paste  __________
    I firmly believe that I have the same problem that was discussed in the foregoing websites.  I have a problem with a HP newer generation board with newer generation slots, and the how bios handles  them.    There is a compatibility problem with the problem being the HP machine, and how they handle the older cards.  My 1250 card (which works fine in my DC7800) is out of warranty.  My avermedia cards (which also work fine in a windows 7 64 bit computer [the dc7800]) are also out of warranty.  If thenew machines functioned correctly (the slots were backward compatible) I would not be even discussing contacting  Hauppague and Avermedia or replacing the cards.  The computers need a bios that allows gen 1 cards to work in the gen 2 slot.

HP Recommended

Hi totallyfreak,

Remove both PCI-E addin cards. If the USB 3.0 card requires auxillary power the connect it up. If that doesn't solve the problem for theUSB 3.0 PCI-E x1 card then return the card and get the following HP card USB 3.0 PCI-E x1 card as it does indeed work on PCI-E version 2 slots.

HP 608151-001 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe x1 card

You will need a SATA Y splitter power cable.

The above card works for me but that doesn't mean it will work in every PC.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.