Question

Student
Fay-out-west
Message 1 of 2 (561 Views)

power supply - no connector for a video card?

My brand new HP Pavilion desktop computer, purchased May 2013 from Costco, is model p7-1597c.  It has no video card now, other than what's onboard its motherboard.

I am shocked to find out the psu (300watt, HP Part # 667893-002) has no connector to power a pci-e graphics card! The power supply has only wires coming from it going to the 24-pin connector on the mobo, the 4-pin connector to the mobo for the cpu, and one connector to the hard drive and one to the optical drive.

What gives?

Must I replace the power supply that came with my three week old new computer or am I missing something?? Yes, I have accounted for all wires coming out of the psu.

Thanks to all who chime in,

Fay

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 2 (556 Views)

Re: power supply - no connector for a video card?

[ Edited ]

A 300 watt power supply doesn't supply enough power to require having PCIe 4/6/8 pin connectors on it and most basic low-end cards don't require those extra power connectors. All but the most basic graphics cards will require a power supply rating of more than 300 watts. If you intend on installing an upgraded graphics card, you will need to replace the power supply with one rated according to the graphics card manufacturer's requirements. Typically, this is going to be 400, 500, or even 600 watts.

Please send KUDOs

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation