Question

Student
caliche111
Message 1 of 10 (712 Views)

power supply replacement

I ha a hp p6310y with a  pwr supply (300 watt ) want to replace it with a 500 watt pwr supply, so I can up grade with a better graphics card, which require 500 watt pwr supply would this work and would not  burn my PC and what would the 500 watts do in performance better or worse?

thank you for your help

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 2 of 10 (685 Views)

Re: power supply replacement

[ Edited ]

caliche,

The new PSU should meet the following requirements:

1) Same size cabinet.

2) Have the necessary connectors. Does your selected graphics card need power lead(s).

3) Single rail PSU with a sustained wattage than exceeds 500W.

(eg; A Rosewill 530W puts out only 498W on the 12V rail). Your original 300W only put out 250W sustained.

4) Higher efficiency rating.

Your other question: I would rather have a bit more wattage than less.

BTW: You have a problematic motherboard, the M2N78-LA.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/m8530f-desktop-PC-with-a-m2n78-la-mother-board-doesn-t...

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Both Customs use Rosewill Blackhawk case.
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Provost
old_geekster
Message 3 of 10 (681 Views)

caliche111 wrote:

I have a hp p6310y with a  pwr supply (300 watt ) want to replace it with a 500 watt pwr supply, so I can up grade with a better graphics card, which require 500 watt pwr supply would this work and would not  burn my PC and what would the 500 watts do in performance better or worse?

thank you for your help

Caliche, welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can upgrade the PSU.  It will not harm your computer.  The computer will only use the amount of wattage that it takes to run the computer.  The additional wattage is there for peak usage.

I suggest measuring the existing PSU and comparing the measurements to the one that you choose.  I like Corsair and OCZ.  They are manufacturers who cater to enthusiast/gamers.  The two PSU's in the links that I provided are 600W.  They will give you more wattage for future upgrades.  The OCZ is modular.  I suggest reading the customer reviews to see what users have to say about them.  I have a 700W OCZ PSU in my gaming machine.  It has been very reliable.  OCZ has extremely good customer service.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Pro

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 4 of 10 (674 Views)

Hello, This is the place i should have gone to FIRST b-4 making & waisting 2 40min trips back & forth to CompUSA. They were very friendly & helpful YET, I didn;t get a wokring version of a Thermaltake 550W PS to get my 2008 HP Multimedia to run !

Ok here's my info: HP Pavilion Media Center m8430f Desktop PC Product 

I'be upgraded to 8GB 800MHz Muskin Ram;  PNY GeForce GT 430 (just thos weekend after the OEM 8500GT died-RIP).

C:\ is 1TB I also need to use 2 more 1TB and ONE NEW 1.5TB.

I ave recently reformatted the HD BACK TO OEM Win Vista64 SP1 (yupper you read right Sp1).

I so wanted to upgrade to ALL  SATA connectors-BOUGHT THEM--then the thematake 550wt--it broke my heart--yet, I prayed I didnot blow my  MoBo.

So . . .I called Thematake's Tech support & they said that HP may(is) using propietary PS !  I don;t  wanna belive that.

Ok so here i sit, PC ALL APART w/ 1 drive workin (thank God.)  I jst wanted to breath new life into the machine thinking a NEW PS  woujld somehow make the great looking video card even better & the overall performance BETTER.

i HAVE A $50 budjet (well i just bought the 1.5TB HD a week ago.  I ahve 2 600Wt ps--but they each have only 20-pins to the MoBo.  :smileysad:(((((((((

FYI--I DO  LOVE MY HP Pavilion Media Center m8430f Desktop PC  !!!   i USE IT TO RENDER A LOT OF VIDEO  

AAS WELL AS MUSIC PRODUCTION.  plEASE, YOUR ANSWERS ARE APPRECIALTED-AS u can see i am fading out.

I don;t know the diff.  between one  or two 12V rails.  I love purchasing from NewEgg  yet, I think i need a stronger PS---yesterday.

Thanks ahead of time. Regards, Don from Fl. formerly Ct.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 5 of 10 (669 Views)

dont811:

It should not be a problem to find a new power supply to fit.  Assuming the old power supply is not an odd size, the only thing to cause a problem would be to make sure everything is connected again.  Especially the 4 pin ATX 12v plug to the left of the processor. Per this page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01324212&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3686668#N44...

Also, which you already know, the main connector is 24 pin.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
dont811
Message 6 of 10 (665 Views)

[ Edited ]

10:20am Sat: Hi T.O.M., tHANKS FOR THE REPLY.  I am now browsing the net (newegg & the local stores) to find somethng in the 80+ effi catagory AND priced for a budjet.  I have become very..paranoid  to attempt to run my new G-force430 video card along w/ 2-3 TB+HDs. Question to you and others--WHAT IS THE SUCCESS RATE OF THOSE 20-pin to 24-pin converters for use  w/a power supply??  That sell for under $9 @ both ComUSA & radioShack--but you have to mail out for them ???? let me locate the URLs: If it works-I'd simply get the Molex-to-Sata adaptors and save Big $$

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=bvre&cp=9&gs_id=10&xhr=t&q=20-pin&gs_upl=&bav=on...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=bvre&cp=9&gs_id=10&xhr=t&q=20-pin&gs_upl=&bav=on...

Anyway, replacing a PS  was NEVER an issue as long as i had my Scott Mueller "Reparing & Upgrading Pcs" but i haven't found that in a store in over 4+ years. Besides, as long as the darn PS works out of the box--it's almost a no-brainer for the install as long as yhou're not using a cell ph. or watching Gerry Springer (is he even still on TV ? )

I have just had 2 "pure-power 550W Themaltakes Not power up my PC !! Now i am back to the 300W & wondering snould i save the $$ & get that 20 to 24pin converter ??  ( I have a 600W ATX PS) all i'll need r those Molex to SATA connectores....?

Or do i bite the bullet (again) spendin $80-$100 board certifiable 80% PS ?  Sure i want to rest easy as I power up my HP Media center but right now, no kidding, $100 would be better spent on food & gas & coping w/ the heartburn I've gotten from being stressed out by this "PS-Situation."  Hell, I'm gettin'  too **bleep** old for this crap.  LOL. Regards, Don (I don;t know who added rthe bleep-I didn't think i cursed--though I felt like it Lol)

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 7 of 10 (659 Views)

I was in the same situation about whether to purchase an adapter vs getting a new power supply but ended up getting the new power supply.  I too was tempted with the adapter.  If you wish to try, go ahead and get one to is if they work as advertised.

I see no reason for the 550W Themaltakes to not have worked.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 8 of 10 (656 Views)

[ Edited ]

don,

The advice that T.O.M. gave you is concise, but I find some problems in your discriptions.

1) The Thermaltake 550 is a 20+4 main connector and a P4 4pin ATX connector. The PSU has an effc of only 70%.

2) Problem: the PSU only has 18A per 12V rail. The PNY GeForce430  requires 22 A. on the 12 V line.

3) I would recommend this PSU. It has 80%+ effc, 530W continous, with 492 W and 41 A.@ 12V. It exceeds all your requirements, and is $50 shipped to you. (BTW, I have it in my HPm8100CTO).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182199

About your connector problem. You kept referencing the 20pin. It is 20+4 for the main connector.

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Both Customs use Rosewill Blackhawk case.
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Honor Student
dont811
Message 9 of 10 (648 Views)

2:10PM EDT sat Re: power supply replacement

Web2001 & T.O.M., I don;t know what I'd do w/o your time to input such enriching information. That darn Roswell has FANS, the Thermal-something doesn't.  I had no idea the PNY requires more power ! I'm sitting here not only amazed but THANKFULL that I may have solved this issue w/o having to sell blood & donate another body part.

I'm sorry if I confused you about the 20pin to 24pin issue. I was confused AND TIRED, as i am now.

If either radio Shack or C-USA had that 7$ 20p to 24p adaptor i would have grabbed & nabbed it & run all the way to the bank w/ the savings. Yet, now that I'm thinking of it, the stores, ALL, wanna sell us a PS for big $ and NOT AN ADAPTOR for under $10.

UPDATE: As I've been sitting here reading newspapers as well as cking out the prices this & that--oh b-4 i forget...boy i need some more coffee . . .brb .  . .that's a little better I took a noDoze-it always worked faster than coffee in college. Sorry where was I ?....Oh yea, I  decided to retry the Thermaltake 550W  AFTER  i RESEEDED & cleaned w/ 91% ISO, my 8GB of Muskin Ram.

I really got brave and installed my BD burner, C & D drives-both being 1TB each. Then while I was rewiring, 1 of my SATA cables ripped open--so I need to get a few more.

OK,  INSERT A/C PLUG . . .viola--it's  alive....IT'S  ALIVE...(so said Dr. Frankenstein :smileyhappy:.   But now you got me worried about that rail w/ the undercurrent for my PNY.  hmmmmmmmmm.  I am going to return the Thema. PS and order the Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W .  For $50 delivered I mean, how the heck can i go wrong...and w/ a fellow HP owner enjoying the perks of it.    NOW wb2001: am i underpowering my PNY4300 w/ this so-called 550Wt PS ???

To me, the OEM 300WT would have, should have given 'her'  fits yet the picture is like WOW over the OEM G-force8500GT.

B-4 i go anyone know what the missing  "CIF driver" my windows VISTA SP1 keeps searching for ??

Also, back to the PS:  All i have my PNY430 is seeted into the PCI SLOT on the INTEL MoBo. Does it require another power cable of some sort ??

The Rosewell PS includes 'two 6pin PCI-e connectors for the most powerful video cards"  I don;t have to be concerned w/ those do I ???   Is the CUDA perk of this G-force 430  ALREADY IN PLACE & ON AUTOMATIC  ??

Or, do i have to do X amount of things in the program to ENJOY it's POWER when i finally reload my Pinnacle Studio Video Program and need to render my shot.  Sorry for being so l-o-n-g winded,  I just wanna finally be able to not only put a cap on my PS issues but be able to put the covers back on my PC knowing my data won;t get  lost in a crash caused by an under-powered PS.

OH, do i really need to upgrade to WinVista64 SP2 ??? (I also read someplace there's an sevice pack 3 ?) how will my wonderful machine benefit ??

OK time's up, my weekend pass from the assylum needs to again be stamped. I appreciate your answers folks. next time, if you at all interested allow me to share how I saved $$ after I cut the cable to Direct TV after the College  football season.

Another couple stoys for another time over coffee.  Later, Don

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 10 of 10 (643 Views)

Re: 2:10PM EDT sat Re: power supply replacement

Hi,

VISTA service pack 3?  There is no such update.  See this link.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation