Question

Honor Student
The_Cheese
Message 1 of 8 (14,788 Views)

"CPU fan failure, system will shutdown now"

I have an M8200n that has the MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2) motherboard.  I just swapped out the HP case with a much nicer Antec 900.  I also changed out the CPU heatsink with a GlacialTech Igloo 5750.

When I connect this cooler to the CPU fan power supply on the motherboard it gives me the "CPU fan failure" notice and shuts down my computer.  The fan is working properly.  the only way around this that I have found is to connect small fans to the CPU fan power supply and to the System fan power supply.

Does anyone know a work around this? I can't even disable it in the bios. Is there a way to jumper the three pins on the connector on the motherboard?

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 8 (14,756 Views)

Re: "CPU fan failure, system will shutdown now"

If your going to rid yourself of the case,You might as well do the same with the motheboard. The bios is locked and there's no real workaround for the fan. You'll have to use the fan due to the settings from HP.

Oh. I'll take the case if you no longer need it.:smileywink:

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 3 of 8 (14,764 Views)

What is happening, more than likely, is the new cooler fan does not draw enough power from the terminals that supply the CPU fan.  The motherboard is looking for a specific amount of power from the terminal and gives a warning of a failure when the current drawn is different from the specs.  You could look at the old cooler to see if the current requirements are marked on it and then match that current with additional fans ETC to the cooler you are wanting to use.  Seems that you are not permitted to change the cooler from what it is (built in product protection).
{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
The_Cheese
Message 4 of 8 (14,746 Views)

Yes I believe your right.  the OEM fan was much smaller and the new fan is bigger but lower RPM's drawing less current.  Right now I have two small 80mm fans hooked up to the power connectors but they are just hanging in the case.  It makes the motherboard think it's OK and I guess it moves more air around.

I guess I'll just have to leave it this way.

Thanks 

Provost
erico
Message 5 of 8 (14,679 Views)

Leaving the fans hanging is not such a great idea. You should consider putting the old cooler back in or replacing the one you bought with one that has a single fan. Sometimes exotic or "cool looking" is not good. That appears to be the case here as your motherboard's BIOS is not happy with your CPU cooler's fan setup.
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
herbie29
Message 6 of 8 (9,096 Views)

I am getting this same error intermittently on a p6120t tha's about 18 months old.  Suggestions please?

Herb.

Student
crispasigui
Message 7 of 8 (7,667 Views)

hi, im encountering same problem like this, hope you can give me ryt process how to troubleshoot, does this have something to do with my board or just a cpu fan

Honor Student
herbie29
Message 8 of 8 (7,654 Views)

My fan wasn't bad, as it would start and run OK as long as I, or a program,  didn't do a restart or shut-down.  I exposed the various wire connections so I could plug/unplug, do the last resort 'wiggle-invert-bang  'em'  tricks, etc.  It worked for a few months until a neighborhood blackout finally foiled all tricks.  I bought a p7-1080t and like it.

I suspect it was a board problem re whatever was sensing danger rather than the fan itself.

FWIW, the HP salesman was excellent.  Spent a long time dicussing  my operating envrionment, use pattern, etc. to try to find possible failure causes.  He knew computers and was very well trained in eletrical/electronic theory.  Three phone calls and about an hour of friendly and patient help.

Herb

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation