Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
My wireless capability is "Disabled".  I have looked through all of the manuals I can find online to find the mysterious "wireless button", push it, and turn it on so that my computer will once again connect to the internet.  I could have sworn I found this mysterious button, because there is a little black cover that pops off next to the wireless sign on the front.  I pushed it and nothing happened.  I still have no access.  Can someone please help so I can finish my homework and go to bed already?!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
No it doesn't delete any files. That was my main concern as I homeschool my children and was worried I would lose everything and I have no way to back up my files.. I used this process I pressed f10 when my computer was going to start(while screen was black)it took me to BIOS MODE I then pressed f9 to reset default settings, confirmed change by pressing the enter button then pressed f10 to save and exit BIOS MODE my computer then booted up normally and the blue wireless connectivity light popped on immediately and I didn't lose a single file. I couldn't believe HP WAS GOING TO CHARGE ME $49.99 to fix this so called software problem. THANK GOD FOR BLIGGERS,!

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50
HP Recommended
Hey Cowgirl... I had the same problem this morning.  My laptop is new, and it has a lit-up touch volume control on top of the keyboard... the wireless button is to the right of the volume control, and is also lit up.  This morning, it was red.  I touched it, and it turned blue.. and now my wireless is back up.  Hope this helps... and hope you get your homework done! 
HP Recommended
Hey thank you!  I ended up having to chat with one of the HP advisors (Sebastian you rock!)  I found the wireless button, but when I pressed it the wireless status went from "disabled" to "off" with no ON!  Turns out I had to restore the default setting on the computer to get it to turn back on--just press f10 as the notebook is booting up (so before the desktop is loaded after you restart) and then press f9 and then YES to restore default settings.  Boy was that frustrating!  Simple fix though so I hope anyone else with the same problem reads this!
HP Recommended

I have never commented online but after working on this problem for 3 hours to find a stupid wireless button--I figured I owed it to the person that suggested using the F10 and F9 keys. Ok--got out every HP manual I had in the house--the manual told me to go to the HP support screen which talked at length about why there is a wireless "assistant" available. Friend suggested I go online to search out problem---duh-well see only had one laptop at the time (WHICH COULD NOT FIND ANY NETWORKS BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL DISABLED !!!--hence no wireless/no google.....)

So called Concierge service for Costco (certainly quicker than calling out to India for HP assistance..) then Unfortunately got the TV department..But was nice enough to speak with a manager. While I was on hold waiting---read the suggestion above and Hallelujah---same info--restart and use F10, F9, F10. Now--it took 3 steps (versus my 3+ hrs....). I'm pissed that I wasted so much time on something so simple...

However--I didnt realize that F10 took you to a bios screen---u don't have to wait but can push F10 again to close it ....after pushing f9. Im not a technical person but just want to attest that thank goodness for GOOD advice over the internet....Thanks for sharing your wisdom...

HP Recommended

The light at the top of the keyboard is the button.  It does not look like a button.  Press it and wait as much as two seconds for the color to change.  You will then need to re-establish a connection to the wireless router.  Click on the wireless icon next to  or near the clock in the task tray of your screen.  Choose a connection from the list that appears.

HP Recommended

I bothered to get a user name and password just so I could thank you guys for going through the trouble of explaining this "fix." 

For those of you who have commented that the button above the key board is the button, I can understand why you think this is true, but its not.  That button enables or disables the wireless.  The "button" we are needing (which does not exist), turns wireless on or off.  As frustrating as it is, there is a difference with this computer.

The f10, f9, f10 is the fix.  Thankfully, I had access to another computer that I could use to search for the owners manual for the computer. Instead of finding the manual, this was the first hit on my search. Just what needed!

HP Recommended

Like CMfox, I joined up just so I could reinforce that the f10, f9, f10 (resets BIOS defaults) WILL work to re-enable a dead WI-FI connection fro HP Pavillion dv6000 machines. I came across a number of threads which suggested flashing the BIOS to fix the problem. It sounds like updating the BIOS will fix the WI-FI issue, but resetting the defaults is a lot less nerve wracking, and as long as all other components are operating properly,  should work just as well. 

Thanks to previous posters for the great advice.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much !! this really helped. My dad had just come home from Brisbane with the same problem and was getting really fustrated, so your posted really helped me keep him happy :generic: thanks

HP Recommended

Does this process delete any files, like a "full system restore"?

HP Recommended
How do you do this...do you hold down all the buttons ? Can someone explain to me before I go to best buy and pay a fortune
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.