slimline motherboard replacement (1390 Views)
Honor Student
bamoore
Message 1 of 4 (1,390 Views)

slimline motherboard replacement

I have the slimline s5350z with the phenomII x4 processor and the motherboard needs to be replaced. The original is the infamous

Pegatron M2N78-LA Violet6-GL8E.

These boards have an extremely high failure rate so buying another at $300 is just stupid. There are other inexpensive boards out there that will work well but I am concerned about them fitting in the slimline case. Has anyone done a motherboard replacement in a slimline without any fitting issues? Was the original mobo manufactured for HP with a low profile so it would fit in the small case. Am I better off just scavenging the slimline for components and building them into a normal sized desktop shell?  My son used it for school and really liked the small case but if it has to go it will. If anyone has actually performed the mobo replacement your response is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 4 (1,375 Views)

Re: slimline motherboard replacement

The Pegatron M2N78-LA Violet6-GL8E motherboard is manufactured specifically for HP, however it is not built with a low profile or any other major change. Infact, the Pegatron M2N78-LA Violet6-GL8E motherboard is used in many of HP's full-sized desktops as well. Here are the specs for the M2N78-LA (Violet6) motherboard. It is, for the most part, a standard sized micro-ATX motherboard. You may have issues with the rear I/O plate and the mounting screw pattern. You will have issues with HP OEM Windows install on the hard drive and your HP Recovery discset will no longer function.

Frank

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
bamoore
Message 3 of 4 (1,359 Views)

Thanks Frank. I have a new windows7 disk so that is not an issue and a new mobo should come with a backplate that i'll make fit. From the research I have done it looks like the usual mobo that people used as a replacement is no longer available so I am thinking of going with this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131657

It is the exact same size and the mounting holes look the same and it is also made by Asus so there may be enough consistency for a fairly smooth fit. I think it supports all the components I have now but unfortunately it does not have usb3.0.  I was hoping for an upgrade but may have to settle. any thoughts on the new mobo?

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 4 of 4 (1,353 Views)

ASUS is usually a solid motherboard maker. Everything thing should transfer over without issue.

Good luck,

Frank

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation