Re: system wont recognize pcie video card (4473 Views)
Honor Student
Texas_mike_b
Message 1 of 10 (4,608 Views)

system wont recognize pcie video card

I'm using a pavillion fq606aa system and am tring to upgrade to a pcie video card, a nvidia/pny xlr8 card and I cant get the system to recognize the card. I installed the new bios update, but it still doesnt give me an option to disable the onboard video. Windows cant see the pcie card either. the card is seated securely in the socket and the extrnal power supply is connected- the cards fan come on when I boot the system, but nothing els seems to be able to detect the card. Do I need to activate the pcie slot somehow?
Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 10 (4,605 Views)

Re: system wont recognize pcie video card

Please explain the external power supply?
Honor Student
Texas_mike_b
Message 3 of 10 (4,601 Views)

the video card needs a pcie power plug, not just though the pcie slot. I had to buy a new power supply just to install the card. Everything else works fine, so the power supply cant be the problem.
Professor
1badGuard
Message 4 of 10 (4,595 Views)

We had someone else with the same issue. If you look real close I will guess your video card is actually not seated all the way. If it is the it's probably hitting something like a contact or capacitor. That's causing the video issue. Try removing the card and then try looking in the bios for turning off the onboard video. The installation of the video card should automatically set it but since it didn't you'll have to troubleshoot a little more.

Top Student
UNSATISFIED
Message 5 of 10 (4,565 Views)

Re: system wont recognize pcie video card because HP's are JUNK

HP's are JUNK. i installed a nvidia vcard in mine too but mine worked somewhat, with the exception of the incompatable display driver error we got everytime we turned it on and the monitor would get blurry from time to time. the nvidia box said it was perfect for windows vista and the games that wouldnt run with the on board grapics were working, but the on board graphics driver wouldnt stay disabled. i would recommend trashing it now before you waste your time and money like i did. im stuck with a $1100 paper wieght.
Intern
Kantucki
Message 6 of 10 (4,534 Views)

If you've not done this already, lay the pc on it's side so that you can get better leverage when inserting the card. Sometimes it requires a little bit of muscle. After that I've been known to give it 2 or 3 light taps with the end of the handle of my screw driver.
Professor
1badGuard
Message 7 of 10 (4,517 Views)

Kan? little bit of muscle? Taps with a screwdriver? You can't use the old adage, "If it don't fit force it". They can ruin a perfectly good video card or the motherboard.
Intern
Kantucki
Message 8 of 10 (4,510 Views)

LOL:smileyhappy:. I understand what you're saying dmhoo29. But if they don't understand what "little bit" or "tap lightly", then they shouldn't be doing it anyway. But I understand your concern. A rookie could take that advice to an extreme...hence, they shouldn't be doing it.

Truely though, laying the pc down on it's side is the best way to install any add on card, or memory for that matter. And giving an extra push or a couple of light taps won't hurt anything either. Now if I were to say "PUSH THE CARD IN WITH ALL YOU CAN MUSTER AND THEN GIVE IT 2 OR 3 HARDS LICKS WITH YOUR HAMMER"......that would be a problem. :smileyhappy:

Professor
1badGuard
Message 9 of 10 (4,493 Views)

What the issue is those video cards are huge and take up 2 slots. They're also known to come in contact with components on the motherboard and short them out.
Intern
Kantucki
Message 10 of 10 (4,473 Views)

Yeah, I've heard of that happening. I've been lucky I guess on that account.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation