Question
wireless keyboard not working
Replies (54)

Student
Nadeenhughes
Message 31 of 55 (3,716 Views)

Re: wireless keyboard not working

Same problem.....wireless keyboard not working. What is the problem?
Student
fwellborn
Message 32 of 55 (3,696 Views)

The P/N is 480974-001 and the wireless USB is BM82136342 Rev.1.0. What is the connect sequence?

Honor Student
RomanaKamila
Message 33 of 55 (3,635 Views)

After spending a total of 6 hours on the phone with HP support over several phone calls I could not believe that they couldn't help me with me problem which is the same as everyone elses - my wireless mouse continued to function perfectly, but my wireless keyboard just died after having problems with it on and off ever since I bought my M9790a Pavillion Elite several years ago.  After reading all the posts - it occurred to me that although I had changed batteries, I should try a different type of battery.  So I changed from a Duracell to an Everyeady - and guess what - the keyboard is working again!  I cannot believe that just changing the type of battery can make a difference.  I guess it might be a case of trial and error judging from the posts - maybe it is also a case of using a different battery in the keyboard to the one in the mouse.  Who knows.  But thank you everyone for posting.  I'm just glad that I decided to google the problem! 

Student
azurelady
Message 34 of 55 (3,286 Views)

my keyboard was working one second, the next it was not. I put in brand new batteries and that did not fix the program. I then went to system restore to a later date, thinking this might fix it, no luck! I could really use your help.

Cordilly,

Jolene McKee

Honor Student
RomanaKamila
Message 35 of 55 (3,285 Views)

Hi There - I tried new batteries too with no result.  It was only by accident that I then tried a different brand of new battery and all of a sudden the keyborad worked. 

I have no idea why.  Maybe the type of battery in the keyboard has to be different to the type of battery in the mouse.  Who the heck knows.  Just keep trying whatever you can think of.  Seems like different things work for different people.  Good lucke!

Honor Student
ScottStevens
Message 36 of 55 (3,282 Views)

Most here (including myself) have found that the type of batteries make a HUGE difference.  Alkaline batteries seem to work best.

So many of the batteries today are made for digital devices, and I had to look specifically for the Alkaline, making sure not to get a NiMh or Lithium Ion battery.

Student
mahopk
Message 37 of 55 (3,199 Views)

my wireless keyboard to my pavilion pc quit working.  i put in new batteries 2 times and rebooted several times.  the blue light on bottom when pushed does not light up.

Student
EricUrban
Message 38 of 55 (2,605 Views)

PROBLEM SOLVED!  IT IS THE BATTERIES.  I HAVE BEEN USING A SEPERATE WIRLESS ROLLERBALL MOUSE AND IT HAS NEVER HAD AN ISSUE.  WHEN I BOUGHT THE "ONN MOUSE/KEYBOARD WIRELESS COMBO" IT WORKED FINE IN THE BEGINING.  OTHER THAN THE LAG.  WELL ONE DAY MY KEYBOARD STOPPED WORKING AND I THOUGHT CHANGING THE BATTERIES WOULD FIX THE PROBLEM.  NOPE.  TRIED EVERYTHING.  NOTHING WORKED. WELL THEN IT DAWNED ON ME THAT I WASNT USING THE MOUSE BECAUSE I HAD A DIFFERENT ROLLERBALL WIRELESS MOUSE, SO I TOOK THE BATTERIES, WHICH WHERE STILL NEW AND CAME WITH THE PRODUCT AND PUT THEM IN THE KEYBOARD.  WALAAA,  LIKE BRAND NEW.  HAS BEEN WORKING SINCE.  YOU HAVE TO USE ENERGIZER BATTERIES.  DURACELL DOESNT WORK.  I GUESS MY KEYBOARD IS ALLERGIC TO THE COPPER TOP :smileysad:  DURACELL,  YOU SUCK.  HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!    YOUR WELCOME

Student
zarti
Message 39 of 55 (2,547 Views)

Goto Device manager renew driver for keyboard + usb transmitter. It worked on my HP PAVILLION dv7 Notebook PC

Kind regards

Zarti

Student
JubileeGirl
Message 40 of 55 (2,460 Views)

I know this thread has been going for a long time, and I'm quite disappointed that no official HP representative has responded to the issue.  However, I believe I have solved it, and I found the answer while reading through reviews of similar wireless keyboards from other companies.

There is an issue with the wireless transmitter receiving the signal from your keyboard THROUGH your tower.  This is an issue with most low end wireless keyboards, and for some reason, it only affects the keyboard.

Just for reference, I bought the HP Wireless Keyboard + Mouse combo (the extreme low end one) and had the transmitter issue while the transmitter was hooked into the back of my tower.  The second I hooked the wireless transmitter into the front of my tower, the issues stopped.

If you have a USB port in the front of your tower, USE IT.

If you do not have a USB port in the front of your tower, you need to find a way to turn the tower so the wireless transmitter is FACING THE KEYBOARD.

If there is no way to do that, either you need to buy a lined keyboard or find a keyboard with a stronger wireless transmitter.

Hopefully that helps you guys!  Sucks that the transmitters are so weak, no?  You would think they would be built to withstand and power through interference from the same computers they're plugged into, right?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation