Question

Tutor
Austin623
Message 1 of 5 (149 Views)

would this processor work with my pc?

Hello let me start off by saying i had a hp pavillion slimline s5-1224 pc.

What i did was upgraid the case/power supply/added ram/ and a new graphics card. So the only thing thats stayed the same was the motherboard, the processor, and the harddrive.   

Specs:

RAM: 12GB

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620

Harddrive: Hitachi HDS721010CLA630

Motherboard: H-Joshua-H61-uATX (Joshua)

CPU: Intel pentium G640 2.80GHz

I was wondering if i would be able to run a Intel Core i7 3770K Boxed 3.5GHz Unlocked 3rd Generation Processor or if maybe you know something that is better (willing to spend around $300) or just as good if i cant run it.

Thanks so much for you time and your help.

Intern
hibiscusguy
Message 2 of 5 (137 Views)

Re: would this processor work with my pc?

[ Edited ]

Well.... it doesn't officially support it, but the support list is very strange. The i7 is supported but only a 2xxx series and not the 3xxx series. Even tho it officially support Ivy bridge on the i5's....

HP is always very unreliable as far as what GPU's, CPU's memory can be supported. Here's a perfect example for you:

The HP Slimline S5-1554 (same board as yours,  H-Joshua-H61-uATX (Joshua)) comes with an Ivy Bridge Pentium G2020 CPU stock. Yet... if you look at the CPU support list, you'll find the G2020 is not anywhere on the support list.

*Note, the G2020 (Gxxxx - 4 x's) is an Ivy Bridge 22nm core. The only Pentium CPU's on the support list are 32nm Sandy Bridge Pentium Gxxx series (Gxxx 3x's). 

My money would be on the i7 3770K working perfectly fine.  Being an H61 (and an HP) your not going to do ANY overclocking at all. Even tho it's an unlocked CPU. You'll need a P67 / Z68 or Z77 board to overclock with.

If you do not plan on overclocking your CPU or upgrading to a NON HP motherboard, I would suggest an i3 3250 or if you want a little more power / longevity I would suggest the i5 3570 (Non-K). 

Tutor
Austin623
Message 3 of 5 (121 Views)

Well this computer is for gaming
And both my motherboard and the processor have the same port
Intern
hibiscusguy
Message 4 of 5 (107 Views)

[ Edited ]

I know, both are 1155 socket. Like I said above, I personally think it will work without issues. If you were to ask an HP rep or call HP they would more than likely tell you that it would not work because they only look at the CPU support list. And like I posted above, that list is very awkward and doesn't represent what CPU's will actually work.

IMO, your good to go. :smileywink:

I can however tell you from experince tho, going from a G640 to a 3770K would be a huge upgrade, but if your gaming I would skip the CPU and go with a better GPU. I was able to run Wolfenstein: The New Order with just a Pentium G2020 and an HD7770. It ran perfectly fine at  1080p with medium settings. 

If this is a just a gaming computer, I would suggest spending that $300 on a good GPU or splitting it up and grabbing a decent GPU with a CPU upgrade. 

An i3 3250 and an HD7870 can be had shipped to your door (brand new) for about $310 from newegg. Since your not going to be overclocking on an H61 board anyways, the i3 and 7870 guarantee a solid gaming expereince.

Tutor
Austin623
Message 5 of 5 (76 Views)

Thanks so much for the help I ordered the i3 3250 today should get here in a few days and I think I'm going to get a nvidia gtx 760 graphics card
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation