Question

Honor Student
munder
Message 1 of 4 (149 Views)

xw6400 fails to detect SSD

Hello

I fitted a Samsung SSD to my xw6400, after updating the BIOS and applying the BIOS settings outlined elsewhere. I never did manage to get AHCI Mode actuivated, even after doing a complete reinstall of Windows 8 and 8.1, but the performance boost is quite good enough without it.

My concern is that sometimes when I restart the machine from Windows, it will fail to detect the SSD, which is the system drive. It doesn't happen often and it's not a big deal anyway, since, if I switch off and on again, it does always discover it at power-on. This may prove to be a problem, though, if I'm away from home and need to access the machine remotely. Of course, I could avoid it by switching off Windows automatic updates before I leave home, but the problem is being old, so I will probably forget.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can remedy this?

Thanks in advance.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (135 Views)

Re: xw6400 fails to detect SSD

Hi:

If you are using a SATA III SSD, this may be the problem...

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?javax.portlet.begCach...

I had the same thing happen to me on my dc7800 CMT when I installed a SATA III WD mechanical hard drive.

When I put the HP 1 TB Seagate hard drive from my HP 8200 Elite into the dc7800, it worked just fine as did the WD SATA III drive in my 8200 Elite.

Honor Student
munder
Message 3 of 4 (115 Views)

Hmm. Iteresting, Paul. Thank you. So I need to buy a drive from HP. As my only concern is that the machine may not detect the drive on a restart while I'm away from home, I guess I'll just switch off Windows updates and then it won't have a reason to restart - the cheapskate fix.

Thanks again.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (110 Views)

You're very welcome.

You don't have to necessarily buy a drive from HP.

You just have to know what model Seagate drives they use.

Since they didn't use any SATA III SSD's in your model and I don't know which ones they use, I can't help you with that.

Of course, you can use a SATA II SSD in your model with no problem if you can still find one.

The 1 TB Seagate 7,200 RPM drive that came in my 8200 Elite that is now happily working in my dc7800 is ST31000524AS.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation