Question

Honor Student
ConfusedComp
Message 1 of 10 (46,249 Views)

Boots in Safe Mode - but not normal mode! Please help

I have had my HP TouchSmart for some time now, but recently there was a storm.  Me, being stupid, I forget to turn off my 

computer and while the storm is going it hits and knocks out the power once and instantly restarts and while my computer is

booting up it hit again.  I don't know where it hit my computer during start-up but I know it did.

Ever since then, whenever I try to load up my computer when I get to the HP "Welcome" screen after signing in normal mode

my computer will freeze and I have to shut it down manually by holding the button.  I have tried  letting  it stay and nothing happened.

Also, there are lucky occasions when my computer will boot up in normal mode but never get farther than loading up my icons on the

start menu.  My computer starts just fine in "Safe Mode" (with networking, command prompt, and safe mode).  

Any ideas?? 

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 10 (46,230 Views)

Re: Boots in Safe Mode - but not normal mode! Please help

Tap the  F-11 key at bootup and try to perform a recovery. You will most likely lose any files, photos, etc. It may be the only alternative left.
Teacher
Tech_Rain
Message 3 of 10 (46,222 Views)

now on the safe mode, click on start, on the search field, type in msconfig and hit enter, on the msconfig window, choose selective start-up and uncheck load start up items, now click on the services tab, put a check on the "hide all microsoft services", then click on disable all, click ok and restart the pc, then tell me what happens next..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SIGNATURE:
..don't get angry with Technical Phone Support Respresentatives personally, we're just following the process. It's our job.
While I'm on this forum, I'm not speaking for HP, I'm speaking for myself.. XD
Honor Student
ConfusedComp
Message 4 of 10 (46,193 Views)

Nothing :smileysad: Any other ideas?
Teacher
Tech_Rain
Message 5 of 10 (46,192 Views)

you cannot go to safe mode?
SIGNATURE:
..don't get angry with Technical Phone Support Respresentatives personally, we're just following the process. It's our job.
Honor Student
ConfusedComp
Message 6 of 10 (46,189 Views)

I can boot it in safe mode just fine, but it won't boot up in normal mode.  I did what you said and it still froze at the HP "Welcome"

sign after you sign in.  Sometimes it goes further and starts to load up applications and then freezes though.  Any ideas? 

Teacher
Tech_Rain
Message 7 of 10 (46,176 Views)

hmm, if you want, you can try doing system recovery, F11 on start-up to access recovery manager..wait, have you tried doing hardware diagnosis?F9 on start up
SIGNATURE:
Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 8 of 10 (46,164 Views)

While in Safe Mode , can you access the internet?

Try going to safer-networking.org and install Spybot Search and Destroy in safe mode (will work, i tried it before many times) and run a scan in safe mode.

You normally can't install/uninstall programs in safe mode but i know you can with spybot.

Hopefully that will help.

Remember to uncheck Tea Timer when you install Spybot.

Also as suggested, try going to start, run or start, start search, type msconfig, press enter, and when the msconfig window comes up make sure in the middle that Normal Startup is checked.

Also, if the above steps don't work try opening System Restore and restore the pac to a week ago or so. Is restore works and fixes it, remember to install spybot and run a spywware scan on the pc. Same with your antivirus program. If you don't have an antivirus program, go to free.grisoft.com and get AVG for free. Keep in mind that you should never have or install more than 1 antivirus program so AVG if more than enough along with Spybot. Both programs together is all you need. If you currently have norton, or mcafee or any other virus scanner then i recommend trying to remove that. You may not be able to do it in Safe Mode because the installer service doesn't run in safe mode, only normal mode.

If none of the steps above work, then I recommend backing up ur documents to a disc, or flash drive and run a System Recovery. 

Student
iamdiem
Message 9 of 10 (36,741 Views)

Msconfig worked but now my internet takes forever to load and when it does, it takes forever to perform a simple task.... Basically moving too slow. How do I fix?
Tutor
christech
Message 10 of 10 (36,734 Views)

HI

Try going to internet options under tools(in internet explorer) & go to the advanced tab & do a reset & check

--

IF that doesnt work try downloading Malwarebytes & run a scan on the comp

--

try downloading google chrome & check if its the same contact ISP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation