Question

Honor Student
itfcfans
Message 1 of 6 (13,851 Views)

CPU Fan Has Failed! PC will automatically power down

CPU Fan Has Failed! PC will automatically power down

HP Pavilion Slimline s3714uk Desktop PC, running windows 7.

I started to get CPU fan failure message  and the PC would not boot, I opened up the case and the CPU fan seems to be connected and working.

Error message is “"ERROR: CPU Fan Has Failed! PC will automatically power down in a few seconds. Service the PC immediately to prevent damage to the PC."

I have found the following advice:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00013522&cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3876701

However the bios version I have does not have the option to switch off the fan monitor. How can I fix this issue please: many thanks

Student
mikedaul
Message 2 of 6 (13,817 Views)

Re: CPU Fan Has Failed! PC will automatically power down

I have the same problem with my A6130N and like you there's no option in the bios for fans, etc.

This isn't a real fix, but you can hit the F2 key when you see the message (at least on my machine) to bypass the warning and continue booting...

Student
michelcve
Message 3 of 6 (13,500 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Elite m9660be Desktop PC CPU Fan Has Failed! PC will automatically power down

HP Pavilion Elite m9660be Desktop PC:

After replacing the fan we always receive the message when starting, and within a few seconds the PC shuts down.

ERROR: CPU Fan Has Failed! PC will automatically power down in a few seconds. Service the PC immediately to prevent damage to the PC.

PC works fine with new fan.

Suggested solution is not showing the option from HP. What can we do to fix this? Any suggestions (beside typing F2 at startup?)

Student
ioniapcwizard
Message 4 of 6 (13,337 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Elite m9660be Desktop PC CPU Fan Has Failed! PC will automatically power down

Does the fan work? If so, you may want to replace the CMOS Battery.

IoniaPCWizard "Your personal GuRu next to you!"
Honor Student
takedaily
Message 5 of 6 (3,640 Views)

with all due respect what does the cmos battery have with the inability to monitor the cpu fan from the bios? I am a technicinan and I have one of these models in my possession. The fan is working fine but the bios on post gives a cpu fan error. hitting f2 bypasses the error and the machine runs fine. What is the real fix for this issue HP? thanks btw I have replaced the cmos batter with no affect..

Top Student
Susielee
Message 6 of 6 (2,548 Views)

After leaving my computer on standby for over two years, my tech finally found that the speed of the fan which was always running when it "failed" at startup test, was too slow.  He checked all the fan parameters, and found that it was just not fast enough at startup, so installed a better fan and larger heat sink.  No problems with cold startup since!  Not an expensive fix for a very annoying problem!  When I accidently powered off, or lost electricity, it would take five to fifteen "trys" to finally start up the computer.  Now, simply starts on first try.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation