Question

Tutor
darrenover
Message 1 of 68 (7,875 Views)

Cannot boot if HP ENVY Bios Virtualization enabled for Win8 Pro Hyper-V

HP Envy H8-1414 desktop machine (just bought last week)

Upgraded from Win8 to Win8 Pro

Win8 Pro has Hyper-V just like a Server OS, so I

- enabled Virtualizaiton in the Bios

- in Win8 Pro, Control Panel, Programs and Features, Add/Remove Windows Software

- enabled Hyper-V

- reboot

- won't get past Window logo with rotating "busy" circle underneath

Power off, into BIOS, disable Virtualization

Machine now boots, but Hyper-V won't work.

So, looks like the BIOD supports virtualization, but not for Windows 8. 

Honor Student
rlc54
Message 2 of 68 (7,788 Views)

Re: Cannot boot if HP ENVY Bios Virtualization enabled for Win8 Pro Hyper-V

I have the same problem.  I believe it is a BIOS problem related to the APCI chip.  I just bought my system and HP wants to send out a tech and charge me $200 to make it work, but the guarantee it will work when they leave. Probably not likely.  Customer support on this is terrible.

Tutor
darrenover
Message 3 of 68 (7,778 Views)

Agreed Crap hp support. I'm working with Microsoft on this issue and I'll let you know what happens.
Tutor
darrenover
Message 4 of 68 (7,770 Views)

To add some more details....

The HP specs for this machine say Gigabyte motherboard, but you can't find the model on Gigabyte's web site, and Gigabyte won't support it (I tried, they said it is not theirs - great). Anyway, some Gigabyte boards show a similar problem and the workaround is to disable USB 3 host in the bios, but this machine's BIOS does not show this option.

When I spoke with HP, they very quickly told me that I needed to call Microsoft. They would not provide support for this BIOS issue. Microsoft seemed pretty surprised that they would pass the buck so quickly and I can at least say that they are being very attentive to the problem.

With Microsoft support, they had me recreate the problem and wanted me to let it hang on the Windows logo screen for one hour. Then, they had me run a tool which dumps a bunch of logs and diagnostics to some files which I have sent to them.  That's the most recent step so I'm waiting to hear back from them. 

I've used Hyper-V on a buch of HP machines with no problems, but none of them with Windows 8. I'm tempted to put in another drive and install Windows 2008 R2 or 2012 and see if Hyper-V works. 

I've typically purchased HP machines (for work, so more than an individual woudl buy) because they have been reliable but I've never attempted to use HP support. I was surprised how poor it was. I would think that this would be an issue they would want to resolve and I expect it may be possible with a BIOS update. 

Honor Student
JustinCX
Message 5 of 68 (7,742 Views)

I'm trying to run the windows phone 8 emulator with the HP Envy h8 1414 and get the dreaded "NEED TO turn on Hardware-assisted virtualization in BIOS."

Problem is that when trying to launch windows 8 PRO I get the same spinning circle issue after I enable virtualization in the BIOS.

I also called HP support and after 45 min. was told that it's a microsoft issue. I asked them "How do I enable Hardware-assisted virtualization in BIOS?" Again, they say to contact Microsoft. HOW FRUSTRATING!!!

Honor Student
rlc54
Message 6 of 68 (7,727 Views)

I ended up returning my system to Best Buy for a return and aparently HP decided NOT to bill me the $200 for sending the tech out, who of course was not able to fix the problem.

Tutor
darrenover
Message 7 of 68 (7,726 Views)

I'm still working with Microsoft, but the holiday put things on hold till next week.

I had previously submitted an online HP support ticket and received an email asking me to ship the machine back to them so that they could fix it. I replied that it was not broken in need of return and that I just needed a bios update to fix their issue and that I was working with Microsoft who is actually listening (and quite surprised that HP won't help).

I then got an email from HP saying that the case was escalated and I would be contacted. I now received a voicemail and email from someone at HP who I plan to call back on Monday.

I don't want to return the machine, and I'd like to see the problem fixed, not ignored. I already spent a bunch of time installing a software which I don't want to repeat. The machine is actually pretty nice, so if they fix the virtualization issue I'll end up with a nice machine. Worth the work? Probably not but I like the technical challenge and Hyper-V is needed but not requried right now. I did install Oracle VirtualBox and it runs fine but does not require the BIOS virtualization.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 8 of 68 (7,712 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Review this MS Windows 8 article posted on Hyper-V.

Take special note of the yellow highlighted boxes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Tutor
darrenover
Message 9 of 68 (7,705 Views)

I know that the BIOS change requires a complete power off, but I'm not sure if I tried a complete power off after installing Hyper-V. I can try, but I don't think this is the issue. I've installed Hyper-V on other machines (including Server 2012) without any problems. 

I think it is related to the motherboard (Gigabyte) and similar problems have been resolved with BIOS changes.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/tristank/archive/2012/09/07/windows-server-2012-hyper-v-hanging-on-boot.a...

I appreciate the tip. I'll be at the machine tomorrow and will let you know if this works.

Tutor
darrenover
Message 10 of 68 (7,695 Views)

Tried to power off the machine for 30 seconds after Hyper-V installed but it did not fix the issue of hanging at the Windows Logo

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation