Question
Cannot boot if HP ENVY Bios Virtualization enabled for Win8 Pro Hyper-V
Replies (72)

Honor Student
Gizmo0001
Message 51 of 73 (6,213 Views)

Re: Cannot boot if HP ENVY Bios Virtualization enabled for Win8 Pro Hyper-V

[ Edited ]

My very first problem was that i couldn't install Hyper-V-Platform in Windows Setup because it was greyed out. So i went to bios and enabled virtualization options. Then I was able to install the Hyper-V Platform component but after reboot my Windows 8 (and 8.1) Boot-Screen was hanging / locked /frozen endlessly / no longer booting at all. So i disabled bios virtualization and ended up with installed Hyper-V *but* i could not run any Hyper-V virtual machine because the following error occurs:

virtual machine could not be started because the hypervisor is not running

(my German system reports "Der virtuelle Computer konnte nicht gestartet werden, da der Hypervisor nicht ausgeführt wird")

I wish I had found this earlier on Google! Recent research led me to MS Technet and others which told me

- to enable DEP

- to disable USB 3.0

- to set bcdedit hypervisor=auto

- to enable/disable virtualization in bios using a cold boot

- to change partitions

- to install a ms kb hotfix for amd cpus

- etc....

- about this post on HP forums blaming the Ralink Bluetooth Driver causing that virtualization issue !

Like the guys using a HP Envy I do have a EXTRAComputer Exone AIO which is a simple barebone (by Mitac) that also encorporates a Ralink Bluetooth Adapter.

Though i recently updated from Windows 8.0 Pro to 8.1 Developer Preview and lately to Windows 8.1 Pro my system is still on Bluetooth Filter Driver Version 9.2.10.4. Others here reported that their windows does no longer boot with virtualization and hyper-v role / hypervisor enabled using this specific bt driver.

Watch out for Ralink RT3290 or RT3290LE drivers 9.2.10.10 or higher! 

As of now I am downloading the latest (?) 9.2.10.24 which can be found at

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?lang=en&cc=US&swItem...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=de&lc=de&dlc=de&softwareitem=ob-121882-1

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=de&lc=de&dlc=de&softwareitem=ob-119299-1

Will report back... :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
Gizmo0001
Message 52 of 73 (6,185 Views)

ok, 9.2.10.24 and Hyper-V virtual machines work like a charm. thx for you sharing this

Honor Student
bitsnbytes
Message 53 of 73 (5,999 Views)

Surprisngly enough, this seems to have done the trick. I was having the exact same problem described in this thread but the steps that Snerd took solved my issue. Now I have Hyper-V platform feature enabled on my HP Envy 810-170st desktop and seems like I can create VMs. I am yet to spin up one VM to confirm that this works.

Thanks Snerd for your post.

Student
CodeMaster
Message 54 of 73 (5,863 Views)

I too was having this issue with my newly purchased (12/2013) HP Envy Phoenix 810st.  Following Gizmo001's advice I installed the the latest RALink Bluetooth driver and was able to boot up and create VM's.

I first tried the 9.2.10.10 driver but that did not work, the latest using the links provided by Gizmo001 worked.  I also noticed that Bluetooth does not appear in my hardware list anymore.  I don't use it anyway so it's not an issue for me.

Thanks again to everyone that has contributed solutions and helping the rest of us out!

Honor Student
Gizmo0001
Message 55 of 73 (5,851 Views)

Congratulations :smileywink:

I recently ran into problems with all (even the latest) mediatek/ralink 3290 drivers. Since last week any version of the bluetooth driver caused either endless boot or bluescreen (bsod) on my computer. I am not sure if this was caused by MS Update (they provided an updated Intel HD graphics wddm1.2) or an erronoues bluetooth audio device...Anyway this is annoying.

Fortunately booting to safe mode allowed me to remove all bluetooth drivers from device manager (view/show all devices), so that i could get into Windows again. Since then i disabled that bad rtl3290 device and use a real old generic bluetooth radio usb stick (Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.) which runs on Microsoft drivers dated back to 21.06.2006... this setup runs flawlessly :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
bitsnbytes
Message 56 of 73 (5,841 Views)

I decided to completely remove the bluetooth driver. From control panel - add remove programs, I un-installed ralink bluth software and from control panel - device manager I remove the bluetooth controller..

You also need to remove the actual files for the bluetooth drivers software otherwise when you restart your computer, he bluetooth controller will show up again. So far I am running hyper-v without any issues even after I check for updates from HP and Micjrosoft. Will see if any issues arise in the future.

Student
dimes007
Message 57 of 73 (5,757 Views)

Another success:

In my new HP Envy 700 (700-230qe to be specific)

Enabled VT in BIOS.

Hyper-V installed reboot.

Circle dots stuck on boot in Win 8.1 Pro cold boot to get unstuck.

Disabled VT in BIOS.

Booted OK & found this thread.

Download and install RA Link Bluetooth 9.2.10.24.

Shutdown and enable VT in BIOS.

All good...

Thanks,

Student
tdb68
Message 58 of 73 (5,612 Views)

I sent mine into HP as they requested so they could fix the fact that it will not boot with virtulization and Hyper-V enabled. I just got it back.  All they did was replace the motherboard with the exact same one.  No change in the issue at all.  Call them back to report that it still has the same problem and they want me to send it back again.

Honor Student
JRHelgeson
Message 59 of 73 (5,532 Views)

I have solved this for my installation on my HP EliteBook 850, purchased 2/3/2014.  I nuked the default instlall of Windows 7 x64 to install 2008 R2 - need to set this up as a demo machine.  Well - installed Hyper-V, rebooted.  Shut down windows to enable virtualization in the bios, and the machine would no longer boot.

My solution was to boot windows with VTx/VTd disabled, run the SYSPREP utility (without generalize) and had it shutdown.  Sysprep 'reseals' the OS and puts it back into fresh install state. It will not kill any apps you have installed.

I powered up the machine, went into the BIOS and enabled VTx & VTd, rebooted and it started the windows setup screen... then asked me to set up my administrator account password.  Machine was back up and running with VT enabled and working.

IT has nothing to do with the drivers, as none of those drivers have been installed on my clean OS (yet).

(Sysprep is located in C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe)

I hope this helps.

Joel Helgeson

Honor Student
Runner73
Message 60 of 73 (5,265 Views)

Hi all

seems to be the same problem on my new Envy hp 15-j103el.

Have try also with windows 8 pro and windows 8.1 pro.

I add all drivers, also bluetooth, last bios version, but nothig.

When enable Hyper-v and and put on vitualization in bios, the notebbok remain in idle on HP boot screen.

Hi open a ticket to HP, but they answer me that the original OS windows 8 function correctly.

Please can anyone help me? It's very important for me to obtain Hyper-v on the machine.

Obviously without virtualization enbled on bios, the notebook works perfectly.

Thanks in advanced

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation