Computer not keeping up with keystrokes (570 Views)
Student
melgraham1
Message 1 of 3 (570 Views)

Computer not keeping up with keystrokes

I bought this computer a few months ago from Best Buy....it does not type the letters as I type them, sometimes there is a delay and sometimes it doesn't seem to recognize my keystrokes at all.   Please help!

Thank you!

melgraham1

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 2 of 3 (559 Views)

Re: Computer not keeping up with keystrokes

Hi melgraham1,

I have a few questions for you:

What is the PC model number?

Have you changed the keyboard batteries (I'm assuming this is a wireless keyboard)?

Does this happen when you type in every application (Internet Explorer, Microsoft Word, Notepad, etc.)?

I have seen issues in the past where keyboards type just fine in Notepad or Word, but then have issues like you describe when typing in a chat or wall post on Facebook or something like that.

Any futher insights you can provide will help us in helping you :smileyhappy:

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 3 of 3 (559 Views)

Re: Computer not keeping up with keystrokes

Need model number, keyboard type.

Generally though, your keyboard presses are stored in a memory and updated to the screen as Windows tasks for that operation. If Windows is under a heavy load and/or there are other software tasks going on your PC that have higher priority, you will see your text popping into whatever you are typing in later than when yo typed them.

This is the most common cause and is resolved by preventing software from starting and making sure that your computer is free from viruses. Unsintall software that you do not use that starts with Windows. Another quick test is to disconnect from the Internet - if things get better - some software is agressively pinging the Internet (virus?) and using up resources.

Another cause is wireless keyboards. If you have a wireless keyboard and the reception is bad or the battery is getting low, the same thing will happen. Correction is to improve reception and use fresh batteries.

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation