Question

Top Student
hilo
Message 1 of 24 (34,874 Views)

Computer stuck on the HP invent boot up menu

[ Edited ]

i have an HP Pavilion Elite m9600t and it's stuck on the menu where at the bottom says to press esc for the boot menu, f9 for the diagnostic, f10 for setup and f11 for system restore. The computer won't go past there and when i press something on the keyboard nothing happens only a very small to hear beep sound (I put my ear really close to my computer to be able to tell it was the computer). when i shut down the computer and restart it i can press one of the f buttons and it says enter ____ but won't load it. i tried disconnecting and reconnecting external things such as usb ports, power and so on.

Then tried the clear cmos. still have the problem also I have been cleaning the pc regularary.

Also i'm able to type this to you because i have another HP pc that's been working fine since 2006

edit: ok so now i just spammed my keyboard with f10 and it said the same thing entering setup but i also tried spamming other keys then. the prt scr/sysrq button makes a big sounding beep than the other ones the num lock, cpas lock, scroll lock, esc, ,f10 and f11 doesn't make a beep but f9 does. i spammed the keyboard and i think i got to my f9 diagnostic somehow and it told me all my pc stuff like the Bios i have, installed drive, processor and stuff and i get stuck there.

Tutor
hp22222
Message 2 of 24 (34,818 Views)

Re: Computer stuck on the HP invent boot up menu

I have the same problem man, I tried nearly everything and doesn't work. So I switched to Mac, anyway if you are able to fix it please let me know because I have some important documents in my **bleep**ty HP.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 3 of 24 (34,814 Views)

hilo,

If your PC is still under warranty, then contact HP Support.  You may have a defective motherboard.

HP's support number is 800-474-6836 or 800-HPINVENT or online here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
hilo
Message 4 of 24 (34,808 Views)

sadly i believe my pc is out of warranty and i hear that if it's out of warranty hp won't look at it but i can try

Top Student
hilo
Message 5 of 24 (34,795 Views)

which is what they did didn't help

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 24 (34,787 Views)

[ Edited ]

hilo,

Disconnect everything but the keyboard, mouse and monitor.  Try getting into the bios and run some diagnostics.

HP BIOS beep codes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
blazer999
Message 7 of 24 (34,654 Views)

Not sure this will help but my HP Invent gets stuck (version 3.28), occasionally, since I plugged in an external HD......

So, when I'm booting up, I anticipate that this will one of those times and wait with my finger on the ESC key......if it doesn't move past the Invent screen within a few seconds, I know it will be one of those times, and I hit the ESC key several times......

(I should mention here that my boot order is CD drive first).......

Now, it won't happen immediately, (requires a minute or two wait) but I watch the DVD and CD drives, and once it tries to boot from the CD drive, I will receive a prompt to choose which drive I wish to boot from......instead of choosing the internal HD, there's an option to boot using defaults, F4........I choose this and it goes on its way.......why F4? Because this sometimes resets the boot process somehow and I don't have boot problems for a couple of times and then it will return.......

Seems like it has something to do with the BIOS but as long as this manual process works, I will use it and continue to pursue a solution......

Hope this helps.........blazer

Top Student
blazer999
Message 8 of 24 (34,511 Views)

Well, I've even found something that works all of the time now for the last four days....... I have this USB plug for the external HD, a USB plug for my cellphone, and one for the all-in-one printer........ When I start up my system, the only one of the three that I have plugged in, is my printer and it's in the back USB........ Alas, my system barely shows the HP Invent screen and then it's on its way to booting up......... I do the same thing when I'm shutting down and it also goes about its business in a normal way....... You guys are on the right track with that front panel.........it works for me!! Thanks, Blazer
Student
feuerball
Message 9 of 24 (34,374 Views)

Same problem here. I have a 5003 (?)  HP desktop, purchased in 2008. I recently purchased a external USB hardrive and that is when the boot problems began (in retrospect). As appears to be the default, the BIOS is set to boot from CD ROm first and internal HD next. if the external HD is connected to the USB port in  the back, the bootup hangs at the blue HP screen. if I happen to hit the <Esc> first it will eventually going into the boot menue and any of the 3 bootup options (DVD, if a boot disk is in, internal HD and external HD will work) but if I don't hit <ESC> it will hang. Self tests using the PC doctor revealed nothing.

Now when I disconnect the external HD is seems to work again but it's a little inconvenient. Now I connected the external HD drive to a  Belkin multi USB port and the problem seems to be gone as well. I am not sure this will hold up, as I am trying this just today (2 tests so far).

Anyways, I am reasonably sure that the bootup problem is related to the external HD drive. FWI my external HD drive is a Western Digital Elements 2TB

Honor Student
Ondeado32
Message 10 of 24 (28,270 Views)

I had that **bleep** issue as well... Well let me tell u I strted messing around I took it all apart and put it bak on still the same ...but the main problem to ur guyses problem is not the motherboard....! Its the hard drive wat wrong.well thats all to it I got that laptop brand new for twenty bucks dumbas thought it was unfixable well he hadnt met me lmfao! Ps-out.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation