Question

Intern
Cee-Cee
Message 1 of 3,999 (43,343 Views)

Elite e9150t Feezes/Locks up

I received my new e9150t directly from HP on July 10 (9 days ago) and since then it has locked up about 10 times.  I could be doing anything, looking at files on Windows Explorer, on the web with Internet Explorer, even shutting down the system.  Sometimes I have gotten the blue screen, other times the arrow just feezes and it does not respond.  The only solution has been to turn it off.  When I get an error message, I have gotten errors like DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (twice), HARDWARE MANFUNCTION, NMI: PARITY CHECK/MEMORY PARITY ERROR.  Each at different times it has failed.

I have twin Seagate ST3500620AS Barracuda Drives on RAID1 (mirroring), so every time it fails, after I boot-up and log-in it automatically runs the Intel Matrix Storage Console to verify that my twin drives are in sync.  This takes over 1 hour.  They have always turned out to be fine.  I have 12GB memory (all six slots are full) on a PEGATRON IPMTB-K (HP: UL83) motherboard.  I have American Megatrends BIOS 5.13 and according to the HP website, there is no BIOS update available for mine.  The disk controller is a Intel ICHR8/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller.

HP Support has had me use PC Doctor (that came with the computer) do a Memory Test, Drive Test and a System Test and a System Stress Test.  It always passes.

Anybody out there with same or similar problem?  Any ideas?  Thank you.

Tutor
new_e9150t
Message 2 of 3,999 (43,303 Views)

Re: Elite e9150t Feezes/Locks up

I bought a E9150t with 8Gb , 1Tb HDD , 1Gb ATI HD4650 card and TV tuner card around the same time as you. I had been having lockups and freezes since the days I received my PC. I spent 10 days updating all the drivers and reading forums to find a solution but nothing helped. Finally I called HP support and they were just blindly trying to make me do some regular stuff which they always do. After an hour of that execise I told the tech that I want this escalated but he suggested that he will arrange to bench test the system for which I have to send it to them. I asked him to escalate since this is a brand new PC and I don't want to do any testing on this hardware. Instead I asked them to replace me with a new system which doesn't have this problem. He had a manager walk me through the steps for the new PC. I am waiting for the new equipment and hoping that the new one doesn't have that problem. I will keep you guys posted on the progress.
Intern
Cee-Cee
Message 3 of 3,999 (43,256 Views)

Thanks for your response.  I also finally got HP to allow me to send back my "lemon" in exchange for an identical model.  They should complete the replacement e9150t by 7/31.  It is a bit disheartening to know that someone like you has had the same problem, because it makes me wonder if the replacement e9150t will have the same problem.  Perhaps it is the motherboard?  I have wasted many, many hours and effort on the original one when I should have been enjoying what I paid a lot of money for.  There are are 5 evaluations of the e9150t on HP's product page, 1 of them has run into the freeze problem also.  I submitted my candid evaluation of the e9150t yesterday (to make it 6 evaluations), but so far today they have not published it on their web's product page.

They now have offered the e9180t model on their website.  It appears to be the same as the e9150t, but with the base model a bit more souped-up.  But, it does not say if it is the same motherboard (Pegatron IPMTB-K) or BIOS (American Megatrends 5.13) as that of the e9150t.

Do you have RAID1 (data mirroring) 500GB Seagate Barracuda drives like I do?

I will also keep everyone informed as to how my story turns out.  Good luck to you!

Honor Student
PhotoDave
Message 4 of 3,999 (43,246 Views)

Happening to me too.  I got my e9150t a week ago, and I've had 4 system hangs.

I thought it might be drivers because I flattened the machine to install Win7, and wasn't sure I had all the latest.  I just found the latest ATI4850 driver and installed it, so I hope that's the root problem.  But since others are having the same issue it sounds like it is likely hardware related.   Maybe because the CPU heatsink doesn't have a fan?  Has anyone been finding overheating to be a problem?

Intern
Cee-Cee
Message 5 of 3,999 (43,214 Views)

I do not believe that the problem with the e9150t lock-up is a overheating problem because I have had it freeze/lock-up not long after turning it on in the morning (after having completely shut it down the night before).  With you it makes 4, as to the number of KNOWN people that are having this problem.  I was supposed to get the replacement on 7/31, but I just got a notice that the replacement e9150t was being shipped yesterday (7/24) and that I might get it by 7/28.  Still keeping my fingers crossed.  You might consider asking for a replacement or your money back.

What hardware do you have on yours?  I am trying to see if I find a common denominator as to the problem or if it is just the motherboard or BIOS.  Keep us posted.

Honor Student
MMaziarz97
Message 6 of 3,999 (43,097 Views)

OK, this is too funny.... well, not really, but...

I was just in the middle of responding to this thread, saying that I just received this computer on July 16th, and have already had 4 freeze issues, and guess what?    It froze in the middle of typing the message !!!

So, now it's 5.   I don't know what caused it this time, although I tried loading a CD into the computer INSTEAD of doing the usual hard shut down and that caused the computer to reboot itself, without me having to do the hard shut down.   No error messages appeared, other than the usual "Windows did not shut down properly" message.

So, if anyone finds out, for sure, what is causing this problem, please post it.    I'm not liking the fact that my brand new computer is giving me more troubles than the 9 year old computer I just got rid of.

Intern
Cee-Cee
Message 7 of 3,999 (43,087 Views)

If it freezes, call Tech Support so they can do their ritualistic thing which determines nothing.  If they cannot help you, ask for an exchange or a refund as you have 21 days per their warranty.  So, do not wait to call them so that you they can give up before the 21 days.  My replacement is on its way, but I am hoping that this one is a lucky one and not one of the apparantly many e9150t "lemons" out there.
Top Student
Godzilla442003
Message 8 of 3,999 (43,107 Views)

Hey guys, it IS an overheating problem. These computers they sent out are all trash, (I have one also), and if you take the cover off your tower you will feel that you can basically burn your hand feeling the heatsinks and graphics card. This is what is happening to almost everyone who is buying this model.
Top Student
Godzilla442003
Message 9 of 3,999 (43,095 Views)

I just dicovered to that anyone with this problem should open up their PC and find where the fan is plugged in. There will be an identical plug right next to it, of different color. This plug will run your fan faster as a temporary fix. Be sure your fan is blowing INTO the computer, I'm not sure whether or not you should leave your panel off. But I'm keeping mine off. Hope this helps a little.
Intern
Cee-Cee
Message 10 of 3,999 (43,041 Views)

Godzilla442003, as I stated in today's post, 5:50am PST, I do not believe that the main problem is overheating because it has locked-up on me just after turning it on in the morning (after having shut it down the night before).  However, if it runs as hot as you experienced, then that is certainly a problem also.  It is amazing how these huge companies make junk to save a few pennies on proper cooling and ruin someone's $1,000 - 2,000 investment and/or waste their time.

I certainly did not pay big money to run my computer with the cover off, nor should you.  We need a permanent fix to this problem, not a temporary one.  Thanks for the info.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation