Question
Elite e9150t Feezes/Locks up
Replies (3997)

Honor Student
thardy711
Message 91 of 3,998 (4,552 Views)

Re: Elite e9150t Feezes/Locks up

cee cee:  thank you I just got off the phone with them and they have escalated (whatever that means) the call.  I will patiently (not really) wait for this call. 
Honor Student
thardy711
Message 92 of 3,998 (4,546 Views)

Just curious!!! When my computer freezes the screen appears to melt. In other words it looks like your Satellite television when  you are in a really bad storm. Have you all experienced this or is every situation different?
Intern
eots
Message 93 of 3,998 (4,534 Views)

[ Edited ]

When mine freezes the screen looks completely normal.  Perhaps you also have other issues with your computer on top of the flakey 1.03 motherboard.  What you describe sounds like bad RAM on the video card.

Join the no return call club.  I've been told twice now that at case manager would call me back within 48 hours and I haven't received a call either time.  I think HP is now using this as an excuse to get customers off the phone.

Message Edited by eots on 08-06-2009 03:54 PM
Tutor
new_e9150t
Message 94 of 3,998 (4,525 Views)

It is going to be 6 days since I received my replacement, so far I didn't have any problem. I have installed all my pc games, app s/w , vmware server, etc on my system and everything is working perfect,

When my replacement was processed they didn't wait for me to send my old PC . I got the replacement the same day I was returning my old pc. They sent me prepaid shipping lable for my return.

I would also like to respond to Cee-Cee on his comments about outsouced customer support and jobs shipped abroad. I am working in the IT industry for the last 17yrs. I started off as a PC tech but today I support some very critical and important IT infrastructure products. I have noticed that most of the time my team had more than 50% of the techs from asia and always they were the best in the team. I am not saying that we don't have such people from here but I can for sure say that there are not that many. Everytime we had a major problem at our site the support call was escalated to asia . These are not small IT companies which outsource first level tech support, instead these large IT companies have their first level team here and dial in their best from asia. I would definetly agree with you on some aspects were outsourced support can be annoying especially when the communication is not as smooth as we would expect.

About jobs going out I would say that globalization is a two way street were you have to give something to get something. Our economy here is a consumer economy and our companies need more consumers to keep them growing. What other place in the world other than asia has 2 billion prospective new consumers?  We export very expensive weapons to 3rd world countries, this actually indirectly takes food off the tables of the poor people there which is much worse than we losing jobs here.

Intern
Cee-Cee
Message 95 of 3,998 (4,509 Views)

Thardy711, that sounds pretty much like what happened to my computer the first few times it crashed, the screen got jittery and the if froze.  Later I got blue screens, errors during shutdowns, and plain frozen mouse, screen, keyboard (paralyzed from the keyboard down).  Join the club.  The computer replacement with the new v1.04 motherboard solved it.  However, the new computer also had a new (same model nVidia GT220) Graphics Card.
Intern
Cee-Cee
Message 96 of 3,998 (4,505 Views)

new9150t:  This global economy thing is like a very rich person marrying a very poor one.  One has everything to lose, and the other everything to gain (especially in case of divorce).  The problem with the U.S. workforce is that our academic standards are very low from Grammar School all the way to College.  We live in a culture where any dum to mediocre person can go to some college, and worse yet graduate.  Then you have so-called college graduates who were never intelligent to begin with, are not competent in their field of study, and can barely read, write and do arithmetic.  Many colleges and universities are simply businesses trying to build a bigger and bigger empire for its administrators while filling a huge demand from parents who need to be able to say that their inept kids are in college.  That is one of the excuses for having to outsource.  But to answer a telephone and read from a script you do not need a rocket scientist.  And that is what HP and other companies have in their support line.  Have any of these people actually solved our problem thru their technical expertise?  No, they wasted your time doing things that led to no solution.  Meanwhile they hoped to wear us out and hopefully we would go away.  The unfortunately too few competent people in the U.S. pay the consequences by having to compete with employees willing to take abuse, low pay, humiliation and long hours with no life.

I agree that we are a consumer economy whose populace does not pay attention to what their congressmen are doing, mostly because they are too busy trying to see what to buy next and planning the next garage sale to sell what they bought last month to make room for the new junk.  They cry a lot when Michael Jackson dies, but not when a famous scientist or war hero dies.

I guess this belongs in a different board, but there is a relationship between what we have experienced with HP and what is going on in our country.

I respect your point of view, but I mostly disagree.

Top Student
HP-Let-Me-Down
Message 97 of 3,998 (4,457 Views)

[ Edited ]

Although, this ranting is not entirely E9150T prone, it still ties to HP CUSTOMER SUPPORT. I will agree slightly with new9150t only on professional courteousness of these overseas helpers.... but on the contrary, CEE-CEE nailed it. I am also in the technical support field and was on the phone for 2 hours just to have someone tell me to unplug my mouse and keyboard from the frozen computer then tell me to press the CAPS and NUM key to see if the green indicator light turns on, how outrageous!!!, I felt so stupid, that is the mean trick you play on kids and baby boomers who have no technical know-hows. This individual, while sounding very respectful and professional, was seriously doing everything in his power to to piss me off so i can hang up. I can bet a million dollars that some of these technicians whether foreign or local are taught to stall you and send you on any goose chase till you eventually hang up because apparently it's cheaper than fixing your problems right away which mostly consist replacements and returns. 

Who is dumb enough to believe that when they unplug a non-battery powered mouse or keyboard from the computer that it will light up? At first i thought he meant to unplug and plug back in but he insisted that i unplug it off the computer and then he proceeded to have me push the caps and numlock, even an orangutan would be offended by this idiocy, so question, does this mean that the technician doesnt know his job or that he was just following proper procedure? If unhappiness can be converted to money i think I've lost 5 times more money than i paid for that system. They ask the dumbest question and periodically put you on hold to "do research".

My bleeping systems is still crashing, I'm pissed that i may have to send the system back with the original hard drives intact, with all the information i put on it which by the way could still be recovered with a recovery software or cd even after format/reformats. And everyday i call, i wait, and wait some more. No escalation, never the same person you spoke to last time and you are back to square one because they will ask you the same DARNED stupid question you've been asked before even though they can look at the case number (CSO #) and see notes from other technicians. I've never been so denied.

Message Edited by HP-Let-Me-Down on 08-07-2009 06:44 AM
Honor Student
hpuser_919
Message 98 of 3,998 (4,426 Views)

I've been monitoring this thread for the last few days since I've also purchased a HP e9150t that is freezing / locking up.

It sounds like the consensus here related to what fixes the freezing problem is getting replacement unit with a v1.04 motherboard. Well the unit I received that is freezing currently has a v1.04 motherboard so maybe there is something else going on and just having a v1.04 motherboard does not mean your unit won't freeze anymore.

XStan mentioned, in their post on 8/6/2009 @ 10:20am, that the tech they talked to said there was a timing issue which requires a CPU BIOS update to fix. Granted the CPU itself does not have any sort of flashable BIOS that I'm aware of (I could be wrong, I don't design CPUs) but they can get reprogrammed during boot using microcode updates.

I've actually found a Microsoft Knowledge Base article talking about a microcode update to improve reliability of systems with Intel processors that was released on May 15, 2008, so maybe a new update is needed now if the freezing problems are related to a timing issues with the i7 CPU. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936357

Any ways, I’m currently waiting for a call back, which I should have received last night, to setup my exchange. 

I did allow HP support to try to debug the problem the first day which resulted in them having me pull the CMOS/BIOS battery on the motherboard, then having them remote control my desktop which they then downloaded and installing VLC Media Player. They told me to use VLC to play my media files as a “fix” for my freezing problem even though I told them the computer freezes no mater what I’m doing, which includes watching videos. It even locked up after a fresh boot and it just sitting at Vista login screen.

Intern
Cee-Cee
Message 99 of 3,998 (4,409 Views)

hpuser_919, it is interesting that you are the first v1.04 motherboard owner to get freezes/lock-ups, and I just got (after 10 days of no problems) a blue screen on my v1.04 MOBO replacement computer.  The computer was sitting there doing nothing for about 1 hour (lunch time) and when I returned I found that the on/off switch on the top, which is normally light blue, was amber in color.  Then I pressed the F2/wake-up key and noticed that the computer was totally dead.  I pressed the on/off switch and it started to revive as it turned blue and then I got the blue screen "A problem was been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer . . . (followed by a bunch of the usual gobble-dee-**bleep**)".  This is ridiculous!

From your description I think that they are just wasting your time by having you jump through frivolous hoops just to wear you out, just like they have done to the rest of us.  I read the Microsoft microcode article by clicking on the url that you provided.  However, it does not seem to apply to our Intel Core i7 processor as it explicit states in its Q&A that it applies to the intel Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad and Core 2 Extreme processors.  Perhaps they need to come up with a microcode solution to our Core i7 processor.  HP needs to step up and tell us exactly what is going on and what and when is the intended solution.  They are looking to face a Class Action lawsuit from the number of customers that are facing this problem that does not make the use of their computer practical.  There is an implied warranty of mercantibility in any product, plus the explicit warranty that they provide.

Intern
eots
Message 100 of 3,998 (4,349 Views)

[ Edited ]

That's not news we wanted to hear.  This is greatly concerning if the 1.04 motherboard still doesn't completely resolve this freezing issue.  These HP systems are looking more and more like total lemons and HP needs to get off their asses and take responsibility for this outrage.

After contacting HP again and being told yet again I would receive a call from a case manager it still hasn't happend.  This is now 2 different 48 hour wait times for a call and still nothing.  HP clearly does not want to deal with customers complainging about this motherboard issue.

Message Edited by eots on 08-07-2009 06:07 PM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation