Question

Honor Student
RioBill
Message 1 of 3 (3,016 Views)

Fails to Boot: Error 0xc0000428

I have a HP Desktop P6620F Windows 7 64bit.  Have had no problems until turning on computer this afternoon.  Failed to boot. 

Come up with error "a recent hardware or Software change might have installed a file that is incorrectly signed etc.   File: \windows\system32\winload.exe.

Tried recovery disks.  Tried restore, repair and restore to factory defaults.  Nothing has worked.

Under details of the failed WIndows repair it shows

Problem signature      0x800700B7

Problem signature  2      No OS installed.

Was going to try a MBR repair but unable to get to command Prompt

Need some Ideas here....

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 3 (2,978 Views)

Re: Fails to Boot: Error 0xc0000428

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Boot in the bios (f10 setup) and go to the Boot selection and enable the boot time diagnostics. Then reboot and run the diagnostics.

Download Ubuntu 11.10 and run it from a CD. Then copy your data to externeal media if you can.

Did you boot up the HP Recovery Disk and do a full factory restore?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
RioBill
Message 3 of 3 (2,967 Views)

Re: Fails to Boot: Error 0xc0000428

I had attempted to use Restore, Repair, and Restore to factory all with no success.  Was stuck in a loop and always resulted in the same errors.  Even the factory restore did not work.  Factory restore ran through the whole setup and failed to boot into Windows at completion and returned the same error.  Yesterday evening just before I called HP Technical Support I attempted to run another repair from the recovery disks.  The repair fail again, but after the fail I recieved a different screen that said something to effect that some form of redirect had happened with WInLoad.exe.

I attempted to boot again and recieved the same errors again, at which time I called HP tech Support.  The Tech walked me through all the same things I had done and nothing changed.  Before I called Tech Support I had downloaded and ran HP Vision Diagnostic program, which I ran and everything pass.  But, the tech had me run restore to Factory one more time and this time it took, booted into WIndows 7.  

Problem solved.  Damned if we know what fixed what.   Thank you for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation