Question

Honor Student
Datsma
Message 1 of 4 (192 Views)

Freeze on HP Pavilion a6551nl with Seagate Barracuda harddisks

I have a HP Pavilion a6551nl. I have a problem with 2 Seagate Barracuda harddisks causing the system to freeze without any error message. First with 1 harddisk (1,5 TB). Because I thought the harddisk was bad a purchased a new harddisk, also a Seagate Barracuda (3 TB) but encountered the same problem. Running the HP diagnostics both disks gave an error BIOHD-8. Other disks I have are OK (Samsung and WD).

On the HP support page for my PC I found a tool that would fix issues with Seagate SATA drives: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-64493-1&cc=nl&dlc=nl&lc=nl&...=. However this tool supports only Windows Vista and not my Windows 7. Is there a tool or solution for Windows 7?

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 4 (161 Views)

Re: Freeze on HP Pavilion a6551nl with Seagate Barracuda harddisks

Hi,

Review this posted HP article on Seagate hard drives.  You can create a bootable CD.

This entire thread is about Seagate hard drive issues.

Be sure to backup your system and data before using the update.

Try using the bootable CD. If you have more than one Seaate hard drive, then unplug the other drive and then try updating just one drive. Then use the same process on the other drive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
Datsma
Message 3 of 4 (140 Views)

Hi, this tool also does not support Windows 7 so I created the boot CD. It gives the error "Not specified disk or no seagate disk" which makes sense: the tool supports disks of max 1 TB and mine are both larger.

I converted the disks to GPT but that does not make a difference.

Then I put in an old good working disk as bootdisk and the seagates as data disks and found out that the freeze problem is solved. Running PC Diagnostics still gives BIOHD errors on the seagates but now 1 and 4.

This means that I have to keep running the old boot disk just to avoid the freeze problem.

Intern
BizkitsNGravy81
Message 4 of 4 (132 Views)

You can install a PCI or PCIe SATA card and run the Seagates from that. The old Intel storage controller on your board - same one I am using FYI - has issues with a lot of newer HDDs. Replace the old boot drive with a Crucial M4 SSD and you'd have a nice speedy system.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation