Question

Honor Student
cdnpisces
Message 1 of 7 (8,906 Views)

Freezes during start up - won't go past the HP blue start screen

[ Edited ]
When I turn on my computer, it freezes at the HP blue screen and won't do anything. Can't even run recovery disks that were provided at purchase.  I believe the hard drive is not functioning.

I'm ok with replacing the hard drive with a new one if necessary but do you have any solution to recover the files (email files, photos) from the system?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 
I have an HP Pavilion a6000 desktop with windows vista
Master's Graduate
Comptronic
Message 2 of 7 (8,902 Views)

Re: Freezes during start up - won't go past the HP blue start screen

Take a look at the link below and let me know if this helps.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/194981/how_to_fix_anything.html?tk=rss_howto

Honor Student
cdnpisces
Message 3 of 7 (8,898 Views)

Thanks but F8 did nothing on the HP screen ESC = boot menu so we pushed that.  Message stated "loading boot menu..." but did do anything else.  Can't seem to get it read any disks - freezes too quickly maybe?

HP advised to hook the computer up to a functioning pc so it acts as an additional storage drive from 'my computer' . We do have another older computer that works but not sure how to connect them. Any advice.

Thanks for posting that link I'll be bookmarking for future reference.

Honor Student
gschiede
Message 4 of 7 (8,682 Views)

i have the exact same problem and there has been nothing that has worked for me. So if there still are any solutions out there let me know. Also scene reading this i have reset the BIOS and still nothing, well maybe something when i push esc. it will say entering into set-up but still goes no where. so any help please.

Student
rupanagudivijay
Message 5 of 7 (8,579 Views)

I have similar problem. Screen is frozen with blue color. And none of the buttons work. Esc, f10, f9, f5 buttons does not do anything.

I have pavilion m9300t series.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 7 (8,570 Views)

Unplug the PC and open it up. Clean out all the dust. Now carefully remove and replace all the cables one at a time going to the motherboard.  Do the same for the memory dimms and any cards such as sound and video.  If you can't boot a CD or get into the bios to run diagnostics then it's time for the local PC repair shop.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Intern
QuarkCharm
Message 7 of 7 (8,462 Views)

[ Edited ]

If the above useful suggestions do not work.....

Are there any beep's which could be used to diagnose the issue, unfortunately It could be a number of things really, usually in order

Memory -or-

HDD

PSU

Graphics Card [if applicable]

Motherboard/CPU

Assuming you new PC has a SATA HDD, and your older PC IDE drives and also assuming the older PC does not have SATA ports, nor a LAN port, then I think probably the best way would be to buy an external UBS Hard drive enclosure.  Then remove the drive from the defunct system, put it in the enclosure and connect via USB [assuming you older PC has USB ports, they have been around a far while so I guess it will have].  However the HP Blue screen freeze may actually imply the HDD is faulty.  You could first of all download using you older PC diagnostic tools from the drive manufactures web site Western Digital, or Seagate [I assume ?].  I usually use the floppy version. You may be able to do this but it really depends upon the point at which the system freezes as to whether it gets to the point to be able to boot from floppy.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation