Question

Student
JCraig
Message 1 of 2 (857 Views)

HP 8000 Elite SFF will not post

I have an HP 8000 Elite SFF that will not boot. When powering on the power LED lights up and the DVD rom spins. There is no HDD activity and the display never comes on. After 30 seconds the DVD Rom will stop and the power supply fan will rev up very high. It will stay in that state until powered off.

The motherboard has already been replaced, that did not resolve. I have since gone thru and swapped part by part (memory, processor, power supply) and cannot isolate the problem. The CMOS battery was pulled to reset the BIOS, that did not help.

Starting to suspect I got a DOA board. Before I order another board I am looking to see if anyone has seen this?

Student
Boomer63
Message 2 of 2 (837 Views)

Re: HP 8000 Elite SFF will not post

Have you tried pulling the power cable for an hour or so? I had a coworker with a very similar problem except for fan reving up. Installed a spare and brought the failed unit to the shop. It was unplugged for 2-3 hours before it was setup on the bench. It has booted fine several times now. I will allow to run some more and see what happens.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation