HP Compaq 6200 long startup time (1733 Views)
Honor Student
lismajli
Message 1 of 10 (1,733 Views)

HP Compaq 6200 long startup time

Hi All,

I have a 30 computers HP Compaq 6200 Pro SFF that are installed with WindowsXP Professional, all of them it's taking a long time to start up,.The computer shows "Windows XP loading" then the black screen  appears for about 20 min until the logon screen appears. In two of them i have installed the Windows 7 Professional, and everything is working ok.

Can someone suggest me what schould i do in this case to avoid installing Windows 7, couse we need XP for our working enviroinment.

Thank You,

Liridon

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 10 (1,731 Views)

Re: HP Compaq 6200 long startup time

Hi. Liridon:

Do you have Microsoft Net Framework 4 on the XP PC's?

I have found that MS NF 4 slows down the boot up process considerably on XP, where it has no effect on Vista or W7 PC's.

I keep my XP PC's at Net Framework 3.5.

Did you change the controller setting to IDE or did you leave it on AHCI?

Paul

Honor Student
lismajli
Message 3 of 10 (1,717 Views)

Hi Paul:

Thank you for your quick replay.

The controller settings have been changed to IDE when i've installed the operating system. I have installed Net Framework 3.5 and  still have the  same problem. 

Thank you,

Liridon

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 10 (1,708 Views)

Hi, Liridon:

Try changing the SATA controller setting back to AHCI in the BIOS, after you install the SATA AHCI driver using this step by step procedure:

1. Install the chipset driver first & reboot:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=1....

The following steps are used for installing AHCI drivers in Windows XP operating system installed using the IDE mode.

2. Download AHCI driver from downloadcenter.intel.com (second download listed 32 bit) then extract the files to a folder you name. Put the folder on your C: drive and remember where you put it so you can browse to it .

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3151&DwnldID=20625&ProductFamily=Chip....

3. Right-click the My Computer icon, click Manage, select Device Manager

4. Click the + symbol beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers , this would show the devices under this category.

5. You will find the Intel native SATA storage controller driver installed.

6. Right-click  the Serial ATA storage 4 Port controller listed, and click Update Driver .

7. In Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard, select No, not this time. Click Next .

8. Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) . Click Next

9. Select Don't search I will choose the driver to install . Click Next

10. Click Have Disk

11. Click Browse

12. Select location: c:\folder you saved ACHI drivers to.

13. Select iaAHCI.inf

14. Click Open

15. This will list several SATA AHCI Controllers. From this list, select the Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller. Click Next.

16. The Update Driver Warning will be shown. Click Yes

17. The driver will install, and completing the Hardware update Wizard appears. Click Finish

18. You can find the updated controller in the device manager.

19. During restart, press the F10 key and boot to BIOS setup utility . Go back to your device configurations sub menu and change the SATA Mode back to AHCI, save settings there (F10) and upon exit, save changes and reboot.

Now, the SATA driver is successfully installed and the desktop will boot into Windows with SATA Device Mode set to AHCI.

Best Regards,

Paul

Student
Eddie_Konczal
Message 5 of 10 (1,643 Views)

I am experiencing the same issues as the initial poster.  The startup and shutdown times were about 11 minutes.

Uninstalling .NET4 made no difference.

I tried to follow the directions for installing the AHCI driver in the above post.  The link to the drivers is broken.  I found  (what I believe to be ) the correct driver here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21408&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20XP...

(If this is not the correct driver, please let me know!)

I downloaded the second driver listed at the above page.  I followed the directions to install it and to change the BIOS to AHCI mode for SATA operation.  Unfortuantely, my boot time is actually longer now - close to 12 minutes.

Did I miss something?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 10 (1,641 Views)

Hi:

Those were the right drivers and you must have done it right or the PC wouldn't boot.

Don't know why your PC is taking so long to boot.

I have an 8200 Eltie which is basically the same PC as the 6200 Pro.

I tested XP on mine and it had no problems running at all.  Boot up time was fast as expected.

I used an XP Pro install disk from an HP nc6400 notebook PC.

I installed the AHCI driver at the F6 prompt using a USB FDD.

Paul

Honor Student
tukangdownload
Message 7 of 10 (1,216 Views)

[ Edited ]

Paul

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 10 (1,207 Views)

You're very welcome.

Honor Student
tukangdownload
Message 9 of 10 (1,198 Views)

[ Edited ]

paul

my friend have the same PC. his problems  are corrupted of the sound card driver and the booting time

if he install the AHCI driver in his computer, will the problem solved (the sound card driver problem) ?

there is no virus detected in his PC. and all the hardwares are in a good condition

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 10 of 10 (1,186 Views)

Hi:

It would be impossible for me to say.

The first thing you should check is if the BIOS is already set to AHCI. If it is, then that isn't the issue.

If it isn't, then I suggest he install the AHCI driver, change the BIOS setting to AHCI and see if that helps.

The default BIOS setting is AHCI so I don't know why it was changed if it is not on AHCI.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation