Question

Top Student
SoMuchRage
Message 1 of 11 (659 Views)

HP Compaq Elite 8200 - Keyboard and Mouse freezing/locking up constantly

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

I am desperately needing help.

This is a work computer. It was purchased around 2 years ago and still under warranty. 

It came with a brand new HP keyboard and mouse.

In the past 4-5 months my mouse and keyboard started locking up or freezing. At first it happened once or twice a day, and only a few days per week. However, now it freezes up every day and up to 30 times, imagine my frustration.

Tests/scans/fixes myself and our IT techies have done:

-Disk defragmentation

-Disk Cleanup

-Chkdsk /F

-Applied Windows updates

-Downloaded the Microsoft Fixit tool (to fix freezing problems and lockups)

-Torture test

-Memory test

-Malware scan - negative 

-Virus scan - no infected files

-VC Redist 2010

-DX

-Java

-Flash

-Firefox

-Win Update:

-          Network Adapter Driver

-          Video Driver

-          LMS SOL Driver

-          Set power saving off

-Prime 95 - passed

Then a couple of weeks ago (January 10th 2014), my IT guy came back in and rebuilt the machine. But the problem persists.

We escalated it to HP who sent someone in to replace the motherboard. But the problem persists.

They came back and ran a BIOS update. But the problem persists.

They have escalated it and I am still waiting for a reply.

Some other information:

- I have been checking the event log and can see many errors and warnings but the IT guy as well as the HP technician has had a looked and not used any of the information which I presume is because they do not think they are related, or because they have no idea what they mean and therefore dismiss it.

The main ones that keep coming up around the times that the PC freezes are Source: e1cexpress, Time-Service, Security-Kerberos, Group Policy, Outlook. There are more.

-Windows 7 has a hotfix that is meant to cause lockups/freezes but our IT guy said that it wouldn't fix ours after reading the details.

- To fix this, I turn the PC to sleep mode (my power button is set to sleep by pressing the power button once). After logging back in (entering my username and password) it takes me back to the app's I had open to continue, but the fustrating thing is when I log ack in, sometimes it freezes straight away! 

- No consistency when it locks up - sometimes there's many app's open and other times there's nothing open. There is not one app that is always open when it freezes.

- Sometimes I can unfreeze it by changing the USB port of the keyboard and mouse, but this only works once, if it freezes again and I change the usb port back, it does not unfreeze.  

Is anyone having the same problem? Can anyone help me? 

HP guys if you are reading this, please for the love of God help me! We don’t want to buy a new computer when this one is still under warranty!!

If you need more information, just ask!

(Fingers crossed/praying for problem to be solved)

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 11 (637 Views)

Re: HP Compaq Elite 8200 - Keyboard and Mouse freezing/locking up constantly

Hi:

The one thing I don't see or that I missed, is that I don't see where you tried a different KB or mouse?

I would try resetting the CMOS and see if that fixes the problem.

In order to clear the CMOS, do the following...

Shut down and unplug the PC.

Press the power button to drain any residual power.

Disconnect everything attached to the PC -- monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, usb stuff -- everything.

Open the case and find the little yellow clear CMOS button on the motherboard--it is near the coin cell battery.

Press and hold the little yellow button for 15 - 20 seconds.

Shut the case, hook everything back up and turn on the PC.

You will have to reset the time and date after the PC relearns all of the hardware.

I also have an 8200 Elite CMT (running Windows 8.1 Pro), and the only issue I have had with it is the darn thing keeps turning itself back on after I select sleep from the shut down options.

It did that on Windows 7 Pro too, so Windows 8 isn't the problem.

I often have to repeat the process twice to get it to stay asleep.

Other than that, it has worked just fine for me so far.  I've tried all kinds of things to no avail.

Mine also is about to go off warranty (in May).

Top Student
SoMuchRage
Message 3 of 11 (634 Views)

Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I have tried a different mouse and keyboard and it I freezes but after a few minutes it freezes again. And if I switch back to old mouse and keyboard, nothing happens, or if I change USB ports with the new set. Although I have not tried a brand new kb and mouse...I don't think this would solve it though.
I will try your solution this morning and see of it helps. Will I lose any data in doing so though?
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 11 (628 Views)

You're very welcome.

You shouldn't lose any data or have any issues by resetting the cmos.

I never have on any of the HP business PC's I've ever owned.

All it does is clear the BIOS memory of all hardware and settings, makes the BIOS relearn all of the hardware and returns the BIOS settings to their factory defaults.

Top Student
SoMuchRage
Message 5 of 11 (626 Views)

Ok have just reset the CMOS as instructed and restarting the PC! Fingers crossed this is all that it needed! Will let you know soon!
Top Student
SoMuchRage
Message 6 of 11 (625 Views)

Okie dokie, computer turned on (took longer than usual) and within 2secs it froze. Not the actual PC because it still loading the apps I clicked on but the mouse and keyboard only!
:smileysad:
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 7 of 11 (623 Views)

That stinks!

I would call HP again before the warranty runs out and you can add these things you did to the list of troubleshooting steps.

It is not out of the question that they replaced one bad motherboard with another bad motherboard.

Top Student
SoMuchRage
Message 8 of 11 (622 Views)

Ok thanks! Hopefully I will be able to post a solution one day.
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 9 of 11 (618 Views)

Good luck!

Makes the little issue I have with my 8200 insignificant!

Top Student
SoMuchRage
Message 10 of 11 (525 Views)

Hello,

Just an update. I fixed the freezing problem by reverting to a very old keyboard that uses the round port i.e. not USB port, and moved the mouse from the usb port at the back of the workstation to the front. If I use the usb ports at the back, it continues to freeze.

But the better news is that HP are going to replace the desktop (not monitor), keyboard and mouse next week.

Cheers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation