HP Compaq dc7800 blue screen issue (143 Views)
Top Student
banichi
Message 1 of 2 (143 Views)

HP Compaq dc7800 blue screen issue

[ Edited ]

For several years my dc7800 periodically 'blue screens' with a message that says:

*** Hardware Malfunction

Call your hardware vendor for support

NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

*** The system has halted ***

Operating System: Vista Business 32bit

HP Compaq dc7800 2.66 ghz S#:[Personal Information Removed]

I bought this system new some years ago. The system had 8GB of RAM, 4x2GB modules, which I upgraded to from the original 2GB that the system came with (I think). It was Corsair XMS2 DHX Dual-Path DDR2 PC6400 memory, 5-5-5-18.  This 'blue screen' message occurred periodically. Recently I changed the mother board, the video card (EVGA 6800) and the memory, one at a time to see if it would make any difference. It has not, the computer still blue-screens at unpredictable intervals, sometimes hours, sometimes days before next occurrence.  I don't know what to try next. I can upgrade it to Win7Pro 32bit, but will this cure the issue?

I now suspect the OS, because I bought a dc7900 3.0 ghz machine on eBay recently, and cloned the boot drive from the dc7800, and it now blue-screens periodically as well, no matter what memory is in it.

Question is, 1) is there a fix for the dc7800? A patch for Vista? It is updated with Microsoft updates to current, and I recently updated the bios to v1.32 revA, but still blue-screens!

Any help would be appreciated!

Grad Student
ChrisT
Message 2 of 2 (135 Views)

Re: HP Compaq dc7800 blue screen issue

Hello,
Typically, this type of error is due to the RAM memory modules being used. There is more information here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/101272

I suggest cleaning out your system with compressed air to ensure that the RAM is properly making contact with the system board.
-Chris

I work for HP.

Support Forums are now on your mobile phone: http://m.hp.com/supportforum
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation