Question

Student
ScytheWP
Message 1 of 9 (3,943 Views)

HP Firebird 802 won't start

At first, I believed it was a pretty bad virus. my computer was shutting off unexpectantly. I reformated my hard drive, and brought the pc back to factory settings. about twenty minutes of finishing updating and such, the computer begins to shut off again. It finally died, and i'm no longer able to power it back on. I am sure it is under warranty, but I would rather get it solved quickly. My guess is it overheated, and one of the few selling points was the liquid cooling. It might be a ram problem...but I really don't know. I hope someone has some advice
Top Student
VoodooDan
Message 2 of 9 (3,879 Views)

Re: HP Firebird 802 won't start

Hi ScytheWP,

VoodooDan here from HP. Give the Firebird support line a call and they will help you work through this issue. The number is 1-866-408-5408.

Cheers,

VoodooDan

wal Student
Student
wal
Message 3 of 9 (3,784 Views)

any luck?

Mine crashed periodically for a couple of days and now is intransigent, recalcitrant, unresponsive. 

Student
CGRumler
Message 4 of 9 (3,746 Views)

I am also having these random shutdown issues with my Firebird.  However, I have come to believe that the source of my problem is my external power supply.

About half the time that my computer randomly shuts down, I noticed that the light-powered logo on my power supply unit is not lit.  And that light is ALWAYS on if you have it plugged into an electrical socket.  Therefore, I believe that my power supply is going/gone out.  I'm in the middle of looking to see how I can go about getting a replacement external power supply.

Honor Student
VoodooGrrl
Message 5 of 9 (3,528 Views)

Mine started doing that today.  I too thought it was a virus.  Then, after checking event viewer (vista 64), I thought that perhaps I'd gotten something corrupted in the WMI file...a known issue in V64.  But, it kept happening even after I used an Ubunto LiveCD boot...so it wasn't a windows/software issue.  After finally exhausting all the various options I could think of, I called support and they're sending me a new power adapter/transformer brick thingy. 

The support guy said that it was their first "go-to" solution for this problem, which has apparently been cropping up with some regularity.  

Tutor
Frosty
Message 6 of 9 (3,412 Views)

It sounds like it may be the power supply. For Firebird support, please go to The Next Bench

In particular please see this thread:

http://www.thenextbench.com/t5/Support/Firebird-802-Failure/td-p/39319

Community Manager for The Next Bench
http://www.TheNextBench.com
Honor Student
Andrew1119
Message 7 of 9 (3,403 Views)

Yes I agree double check the power supply for your HP Firebird 802.  Hope this works.
Student
k246k
Message 8 of 9 (2,874 Views)

I leave my HP Firebird 802 with Vista 64 bit on all the time.  Started having issue last Sunday- starting shutting off about 3 times a day.  Called HP on Tues afternoon after I ran complete diagnostics from boot menu and some Windows utilities to see if it was OS or maybe a drive issue.  After level one tried unsuccessfully to remote in and check some things, he said a manager would call back.   He called me back Tues night, checked the version of the power supply.  Confirmed what this board had posted and sent new power brick.  By Friday afternoon, had power supply swapped out and it has been working ever since.  I was very happy that HP answered the phone within 2 minutes each time I called and level 1 escalated issue without a lot of hassle and is standing behind their products.  I do not work for them but would have to recommend them just on the basis of this issue getting resolved in a timely manner.

Student
felliloss
Message 9 of 9 (2,557 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yeah had same prob recently, I found out they had a recall on the PSU (Power Supply) my power supply is revision S4/A; I don't know if that has any meaning but they asked which REV I had.  They sending a new one; only takes 4-5 business days to get it; but you do have to ship them the old one...  If they don't receive it they'll charge you $275 :smileysurprised: They also told me the new one looks different physically :/ Hope it's not something hideus...  Anyways call their support number 1-866-408-5408; very friendly and helpful people.  Probably best tech support I came by.

Felli.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation