HP P6310f Hangs at Startup, Won't Recognize (2258 Views)
Honor Student
maxnc
Message 1 of 11 (2,258 Views)

HP P6310f Hangs at Startup, Won't Recognize

Yesterday my HP p6310f running Windows 7 froze up.  I had no choice but to power it off.  When I powered it back on, it hung at the Start Up screen and none of the F keys would work to get into set up, boot menu, diags, etc.

I opened the case and moved the jumper to reset the CMOS.  This time when I booted it up, it came up to a repair screen.  I tried to run repair, which it said would take over an hour.  I left it running all night and this morning it had not finished and I powered it off again.  Now when it boots up it doesn't recongize any hard drive, any CD drive, nothing.  Sometimes it will let me in setup, sometime not, but when it does it does not recognize hard drive or CD drive so I can't use my restore discks.  I've reseated all the cables to no avail.  I'm suspecting a bad motherboard (Pegatron M2N78-LA), but before I shell out some big bucks to replace the motherboard was wondering if there are other troubleshooting tips I can try?  At least I want to make sure it is the motherbord before ordering.  Thanks for any help. 

Top Student
suiramix
Message 2 of 11 (2,198 Views)

Re: HP P6310f Hangs at Startup, Won't Recognize

Today, I had  the same symptoms with HP P6310F desktop (14 months old), it will not pass HP splash screen ...tried reset CMOS, removed RAM, changed SATA cables and power supply ..Nothing except removing SATA cables from hard drive and DVD drive , the computer will boot normally and press F10 goes to BIOS setup. Connected external DVD drive using USB and boot up Linux Live CD without any problem !!!

At this point  I suspect a faulty SATA Controller (MCP 78S GeForce 8200 -AHCI rev.a2).

I will try to upgrade the BIOS from 5.14 to  5.16 !!

Any suggestions ???

Student
ComputerDen
Message 3 of 11 (2,088 Views)

suiramix wrote:

Today, I had  the same symptoms with HP P6310F desktop (14 months old), it will not pass HP splash screen ...tried reset CMOS, removed RAM, changed SATA cables and power supply ..Nothing except removing SATA cables from hard drive and DVD drive , the computer will boot normally and press F10 goes to BIOS setup. Connected external DVD drive using USB and boot up Linux Live CD without any problem !!!

At this point  I suspect a faulty SATA Controller (MCP 78S GeForce 8200 -AHCI rev.a2).

I will try to upgrade the BIOS from 5.14 to  5.16 !!

Any suggestions ???

I have 2 Hp P6310f  right now!! Both seem to have similar problems with start up!!

Unable to find Hard Drive or Boots fine then Freezes!!

I ran the diagnostic's tools (F9) an all pass!! Only after letting the system cool down though!

After a little more troubleshooting!!!  I have found that the south bridge gets extremely hot!!

If I then run the diagnostic's tools (F9)  i get an error (Unable to find boot device)!!

If I let systems cool for awhile and then reboot They fire right up But then freeze up again when the chip gets hot.

I removed the heatsync an cleaned a reapplied some Artic Silver Didn't seem to help at all!!

The heat syncs are still extremely hot!!

So i don't know if this is the same problem others are having But this is what i have found so far!

Seems to be a problem with the Motherboard!!!

Student
b2walkfam
Message 4 of 11 (1,888 Views)

ComputerDen and suiramix I FEEL YOUR PAIN. Having the exact same issue with my HP P6310. I have two of these machines; fortunately only one is acting up. I have swapped out nearly all components as well except for the MB. I even removed CPU Heatsink and reapplied a high quality thermal grease. Diagnostic software said all temps were fine. I read one post that thought the high temp on the Northbridge was causing the SATA controller to mess up which in turn would cause the SMART HD diagnostics to report errors. I'm to the point now that it is worth the $60 bucks to buy another Micro ATX AM3 MB.

Top Student
suiramix
Message 5 of 11 (1,841 Views)

After weeks of troubleshooting , I gave up and bought a brand new Asus M5A88-M motherboard and reuse the all components from old HP P6310 computer, reinstalled W7 pro... it is running really smooth with no problems !!!

Cheers!

Honor Student
maxnc
Message 6 of 11 (1,839 Views)

I posted the original message.  I ended up buying a new motherboard.  I'm a big fan of HP, but it seems they didn't live up to their usual standard of quality with this particular machine.

Honor Student
tsals
Message 7 of 11 (1,569 Views)

how did you setup the power button cable? i have the same m5a88-m and theres no plug that corresponds with the power button.

Top Student
suiramix
Message 8 of 11 (1,561 Views)

Hi tsals ,

You have to remove the PWR wires (red +black) from original connector plug and add a new connector plug see attached photo:

DSCN0896.JPG

Honor Student
tsals
Message 9 of 11 (1,559 Views)

[ Edited ]

the picture didnt load. can you email it to me at [Personal Information Removed]

Honor Student
redcard1998
Message 10 of 11 (703 Views)

Hi folks,

I have a P6310f that appears to have similar syptoms to those described in this thread.  I've replaced the HD, power supply and reset the CMOS - with no improved response.   BSOD, freezing up at various points in the boot process, unable to get past the HP welcome screen at times, etc...    I have a system recovery disk in hand and complete system image disks ... these do not seem to help.  I was able to get partway through reloading the system image on a couple of occasions but then comes the freeze once again.   I must have rebooted at least 50 times now with varying degrees of failure each time.

I've given up and assuming the MotherBoard must have tanked.   Is there anything else anyone can think of to help with this situation, aside from replacing the motherboard?   If I do need to replace the motherboard, is there a recommended replacement, or guide on how best to perform?   Chaning our power pins as described above does not sound positive.   I'd be hard pressed to purchase another HP with my experience on this one ...

Appreciate your advise.

Regards,

~ JR

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation