Question

Student
BRWeigle
Message 1 of 1 (287 Views)

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-450f CPU idle temp between 60-70c. Monitor goes to sleep after playing game.

Hey all, and thanks in advance for the replies and for taking the time to read this!

I own an HP Pavilion Elite HP-450f, I'll post a Speccy summary of my system below:

Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
    Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz    53 °C
    Lynnfield 45nm Technology
RAM
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
    MSI 2A9C (CPU 1)    44 °C
Graphics
    HP 2210 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 (HP)
Hard Drives
    932GB Seagate ST31000528AS (RAID)    38 °C
Optical Drives
    hp BDDVDRW CH20L
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Last night, I started playing Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning again after not having played for a few months. Everything was fine for the three or four hours I played, then I shut the game off, turned on Netflix and went to bed. Came back to my PC this afternoon and it still seemed fine. However, after playing Reckoning for another hour or so, my monitor shut off with the message "Monitor is going to sleep". I fiddled with the cables a bit, even plugged some new ones in, wiggled the mouse, pressed some keys, nothing worked. I also noticed at this time that my computer was really roaring, the fans sounded like they were about to fly off! I shut my PC down via the power button, rebooted and went back to playing Reckoning. Sure enough, an hour later the same thing happened. This time I just shut it right down and rebooted.

I spent a little while on Google trying to find an answer to my problem, and during that time I had Speccy running so I could monitor my CPU temp. During this time period it was running hot and fluctuating pretty wildly. I closed all programs except Speccy and let it run for 15 minutes or so and the whole time the average CPU temp was jumping around between high 50 - low 70 celsius.

I shut the PC off, disconnected all the cables, opened up the case, hooked it back up and rebooted. Opened Speccy, let it run again, and it was still fluctuating in the same range for a good while. I got a desk fan and aimed it at the innards of my PC and after about ten minutes of operation, the temp finally began to go down to low to mid 50 degrees celsius, where it's remained to this moment. I've since shut the fan off (about 20 minutes ago) and the temp hasn't gone back up, nor have I tried play Reckoning again for fear that it'll ramp up once more. No changes were made to the system for the last few weeks to my knowledge, and I don't allow anyone whom I share the PC with to make any changes or updates without my express permission and supervision.

So, any insight? Thanks again for reading this, I look forward to reading the replies!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation