HP Pavilion Elite m9340f not able to start (819 Views)
Tutor
vitamina
Message 1 of 8 (819 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Pavilion Elite m9340f not able to start

Hello,

My HP Pavilion Elite m9340f is not able to start, just keeps on running (lights flashing), but shows only an arrow on a black background and occasionally some movement.

It has Windows 7, 64-bit.

Thanks

Intern
Technowolf
Message 2 of 8 (802 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Elite m9340f not able to start

Hello,

This looks like the system is unable to find a boot device. you will have to check is the HDD is detected in BIOS. and Hard Disk Drive (HDD) is set has first boot device. To do so folllow these steps:

First, use the following steps to determine if the hard drive is being detected in the BIOS:
  1. Before you begin, remove everything from the computer (such as USB drives, and CD and DVD discs) and connect only the original mouse, monitor and keyboard.
  2. Turn on the computer and press the F10 key repeatedly at the first screen to enter the BIOS Setup utility.
  3. Verify that a hard drive name is listed from the general screen

for screenshots and details follow this below link.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00899280&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

If Detected go to boot tab on the top by navigating using Arrow keys and make the HDD the first boot device.

The above link will also provide you with aditional steps.

Regards,

Technowolf.

an HP employee expressing his own opinion.

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.

Tutor
vitamina
Message 3 of 8 (796 Views)

Hello,

The F10 key doesn't show the boot screen but the setup screen where I see 2 hard drives.

Tutor
vitamina
Message 4 of 8 (794 Views)

Hello,

I have tried 2 solutions:

1. Press F10, go to Boot tab, choose HD as the drive to boot from. Save and Exit.

a) Start Windows normally

b) Start in Safe mode

2. Press F10, go to Boot tab, insert the first Recovery System disk, choose CD-ROM as the drive to boot from. Save and Exit.

a) Start Windows normally

b) Start in Safe mode

None works.

In option a) the computer seems active, reacts to the keyboard, lights flashing occasionally.

In option b) the arrow is frozen and the lights are on but stable (not flashing).

Intern
Technowolf
Message 5 of 8 (790 Views)

Hello,

It looks like windows start is corrupted,

Tap F8 key during boot

Choose start up repair,

you will get System Recovery Options window

choose Startup repair.

Startup Repair window opens and automatically scans for startup problems

See if this helps

an HP employee expressing his own opinion.

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.

Tutor
vitamina
Message 6 of 8 (784 Views)

Hello,

I had to choose English (USA) (although in a French window) as the language. Otherwise, my password was not recognized as good.

I chose repair the starting system, the scan is finished and no problems were detected.

I chose restart, let the computer work the process by itself, and now it shows again the black background, blue light flashing, arrow reacts to the mouse.

Do I leave it like this for a while?

N.B. In a previous attempt, I had chosen CD-ROM as the boot drive and did not change it since. Also, there is the first recovery disc on the CD-ROM drive, but it does not seem to be working from it.

Tutor
vitamina
Message 7 of 8 (758 Views)

Hello,

Please someone see my message above and tell me if it is normal that nothing new is happening since more than 3 hours...

Thanks

Tutor
vitamina
Message 8 of 8 (730 Views)

Hello,

Finally, after many hours while the computer was not able to start, although it was trying and running, I did the following:

1. Shut it down (pressing the button).

2. Put it on again.

3. Press F8 immediately.

4. Went through the identification procedures.

5. Selected Restore the system to a previous state.

6. Selected the latest date when the system was working correctly.

7. Followed the prompts.

This process was successfully completed and the computer is now able to start again correctly by itself (no Recovery disk necessary).

I wish to thank HP support for their initial help with this problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation