Question

Honor Student
itsonlytheis
Message 1 of 5 (939 Views)

HP Pavilion Slimline s3707c does not load past hp screen

loads to hp screen, gives the following choices:

<F10=setup>                          <F11=System Recovery

<Esc=Boot Menu>                 <F9=Diagnostics>

if i choose setup or boot menu it tries to load but does not. the other two do not give me a message.

i tried to load bios screen by using every "f" key, one at a time, each on their own. i even tried del and esc. none loaded bios, just brought me to the hp screen where it never loads.

i made a copy of windows vista recovery disc and tried to boot from it. same issues as before, nothing loads. i opened the case and the processor cooler was very hot to the touch. i used a box fan to see if i could keep it cool but nothing worked. im guessing the processor shifted or is just getting to hot? perhaps i need a new fan?

some things i tried:

ubuntu 10.10 install cd does not read.

windows xp w/sp2 install cd does not read.

vista recovery cd does not read.

so cd's dont read lol

shut off for couple hours to cool off processor and used a box fan to give more cool air through the heat sync. same problem as before.

any ideas? i was told to check the ram one at a time but i dont have the time to pull the heat sync off, then the disc drive to unplug one ram stick.

Honor Student
itsonlytheis
Message 2 of 5 (929 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Slimline s3707c does not load past hp screen

also, im using windows vista. no additional hardware, factory installed. if any of that helps.

Student
kkmb
Message 3 of 5 (848 Views)

Mine is doing this exact too... it was the morning after a thunderstorm, and we lost power. I'm trying to find out if there's a fuse that could have popped. Seems it could be an easy fix, but I'm going to get on the phone later and start asking a few pros some questions.

Honor Student
centerpunch
Message 4 of 5 (794 Views)

I had this exact problem after moving my mother-in-law's computer to a new location.

Computer wouldn't get past start up screen. After opening the computer, checking all connectors, etc., I finally bought recovery discs, installed a new hard drive, and............ nothing. Still wouldn't get past start up screen.

THEN I FOUND THE PROBLEM.

On the front of the computer, there is a connector with two USB inputs separated by a chrome strip. In transit, the center strip had been dislocated, and was shorting out one of the USB jacks.

When I realigned the strip so the USB jacks so weren't shorted, the PC started normally. I put the original Hard drive back in, and everything was back to normal.

Top Student
stayontrack
Message 5 of 5 (707 Views)

yes that was the problem with mine...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation