Question

Student
capone
Message 1 of 2 (4,011 Views)

HP Pavilion a1700n Desktop PC - fan keeps running, system shuts down

Looking for some guidance.  We have a two and a half year old HP Pavilion a1700n Desktop PC, running Windows XP.  Everything was working fine until earlier this evening.  The fan in the CPU started running very loudly and the system shut down.  We are able to get the system to restart, but the fan still runs loudly and the unit shuts down within 2 minutes.  We had no previous errors and never an issue before.  Prior to this, the typical startup was a loud fan, which then went quiet after the system began to load.  Now, this loud fan won't quiet down.  It almost seems like it's overheating.  We can't get the system to stay on for more than a couple of minutes.  Any thoughts as to why this is happening? 

Student
B1uJean51
Message 2 of 2 (3,966 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion a1700n Desktop PC - fan keeps running, system shuts down

Not more than a few weeks ago my HP Pavilion Desktop a335w was doing this same thing & I finally discovered after many hours of troubleshooting & researching that what my major problem was that my computer was so dirty & needed cleaning so bad that all the accumulated dust had built up in the fan around the blades completely to the point of bogging it down & making it struggle to keep turning to try & cool the systen down because it was over-heating evidently! Also, the vents was completely blocked!I I'm really embarrassed to tell you this because I did not realize how fast these computers collect dust; I just had mine in the shop for a good cleaning & to reinstall Windows about 6 months prior & I didn't dream it would have gotten that bad that fast! I am totally shocked it didn't fry my hard drive & destroy my files, which would have devastated me! I couldn't figure it out at first because the fan kept running & the pc would just keep rebooting before it even gave me a chance to even click to get it to safe mode to troubleshoot! I kept trying to get it to boot up till I got worried that I may be doing more harm by just keeping on trying to get it to boot up when it was only clicking right off afterwards; so I decided that the best thing just might be to give it a rest.... I unplugged it for a few minutes hoping it would boot because once before when I couldn't get Windows to boot & called HP they told me to push the power button in & hold it for a good spell for some reason & then just to unplug it & this worked! I was about to think my hard drive was about to fail, though, because even with doing this it fooled me & booted up letting me use it for only about 2 minutes & then started right back in what it was doing! This time I unplugged it for about 30 minutes & in the meantime I got my PC World magazines down & started reading the article about the '10 Worse Windows Nightmares' & there was info about the different things that you might try as a last resort for a failing hard drive to boot up one last time to save your files & what you might try to get Windows to boot up if you feel your hard drive was not the fault! After 30 minutes I tried again & same thing like before....staying on just a lil' longer; so I finally got smart & realized that it was only doing a lil' better each time cause I was letting it cool off! ADUH!!! LOL! My next move was to take the sides off & give it a much needed, thorough cleaning! After this it started right up & never has gave me a problem since! I will never let that happen again & I, also, moved my computer because it was not in a good place where the air could flow freely! I liked to passed out when I saw how clogged up the vents & fans where! I'm truly lucky I gave it a rest & didn't keep over-working that fan that could hardly turn! 

My friend, I've written a book & I hope I haven't put you to sleep, but I do hope this has helped because it sure fixed my problem & it sounds like yours is doing exactly the same as mine was! It makes sense to why the fan would continously run when it is bogged down with dirt & I guess it was so bogged down that it was running too slow to allow Windows to boot up safely! When Windows is up, your fan is running to cool it; I'm supposing! Try it & let me know! Good luck!

CJ 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation