HP Pavilion a1700n freezing from day 1 (2454 Views)
Tutor
4rhelgoe
Message 1 of 27 (2,454 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Pavilion a1700n freezing from day 1

Here is my HP nightmare.

I originally purchased my HP Pavilion a1700n at Fry’s on 4/14/07 for $602.85, since my old PC died after about 7+ years of use. I still had a Dell laptop, but the screen was smaller than my desktop monitor, so that’s why I purchased the a1700n, even though I couldn’t really afford it at the time.

My previous job was computer tech support for Mac’s and PC’s at a large company.  At the time I was going to school full time for computer classes, building Web pages for a Website, and I was tutoring and taught the Cisco students at the Cisco academy at the college. So I was pretty busy, and when I setup the a1700n computer.  The computer would freeze up and if the computer went to sleep, the monitor would go “black” and I couldn’t wake the computer up, and the monitor remained “black”.  I was forced to “reboot” to get the computer going again.

I had all the Microsoft, Cisco and A+ training, so I figured that it must be a minor issue that I could resolve when I had time.  I was busy at the time, so every- once-in-a-while when I had some spare time I would try to troubleshoot the problems. It took a lot of searching the Internet for answers with no luck before I stumble on one fix by the process of elimination myself.

I SEEMED TO SOLVE ONLY THE BLACK SCREEN ISSUE:
When the computer went to sleep, the monitor would go “black” and I couldn’t get the monitor to come back on. (I fixed that problem by changing the screen resolution from 1280x1024 to a lower resolution, like 1024x768. I believe that any screen resolution except the highest resolution would fix the black screen issue.

THE COMPUTER FREEZING CONTINUED:

I purchased an additional 1GB memory and added another CD/DVD writer to the computer.

The computer continued to freeze and lockup, so I just started using my Dell laptop 100% of the time. I should have returned the computer, but I didn’t think that HP sold defective stuff?

At the end of 2009 after not being able to use my computer for over 2 ½ years, I thought that I would try once again to get the computer running right, since Windows 7 was coming out, and maybe it was a Vista issue?

I have added and done the following to my computer from the time I purchased it to now:

-Replaced the original power supply with an “Antec  EarthWatts 750W

-Replace All the original memory with Kingston & Patriot memory (4GB total)

-Added a BFG GeForce GTS 250 1GB video card (replaces on-board video)

-Added Linksys Wireless G PCI card

-Added Pioneer DVR-112D CD/DVD writer

-Microsoft  Intellipoint wireless keyboard/mouse

-Installed (Clean Install) Windows 7 Home Premium (Installed Win 7 drivers also)

After the installation of Windows 7, the computer started running much better, but the computer would still freeze and lockup from time to time.

I believe that the wired mouse and keyboard locks up like the wireless mouse/keyboard, but its been awhile, and I could try using the wired again, but I ultimately want to use the wireless input devices.

I saw on the forum that the a1700n could have problems with the motherboard?

I’ve got way over $1,000.00 into my a1700n and its still not a useable/reliable computer.  If anybody has a clue to why my a1700n locks up I would appreciate the input.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 27 (2,450 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion a1700n freezing from day 1

[ Edited ]

Look in your Event Viewer logs for errors.  Check the NVIDIA web site for the latest video software update.  Are you running bios 5.07?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Tutor
4rhelgoe
Message 3 of 27 (2,426 Views)

I had the same problems with the on-board video, but I have since added a new video card and updated it with the latest driver.

I'm running bios ver 5.04, I tried to update to bios ver. 5.07, but it said that ver. 5.07 was not compatible with my hardware.

Below are some of the errors from Event Viewer that seem to stand out or were reoccurring:

WINDOWS 7 LOGS

APPLICATION
Error:
Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\microsoft\search enhancement pack\search helper\sepsearchhelperie.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files\microsoft\search enhancement pack\search helper\sepsearchhelperie.dll" on line 2. Invalid Xml syntax. 

SECURITY
Audit Failure:
Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid.  The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error. 

File Name:              \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\drivers\uphcleanhlp.sys   

SYSTEM
Error: (Reoccurring Error)
The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition.  Please check for updated firmware for your system.

Critical: (Reoccurring Critical)

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Error: (Reoccurring Error) (Different dates and times for ea. error)
The previous system shutdown at 8:19:45 PM on ‎4/‎21/‎2010 was unexpected.

The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:.

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk5\DR5.

Error:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk6\DR6.

Microsoft Antimalware has encountered an error trying to update signatures.

New Signature Version:

Previous Signature Version: 1.79.1574.0

Update Source: Microsoft Update Server

Update Stage: Download

Source Path: http://www.microsoft.com

Signature Type: AntiVirus

Update Type: Full

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Current Engine Version:

Previous Engine Version: 1.1.5605.0

Error code: 0x80240016

Error description: An unexpected problem occurred while checking for updates. For information on installing or troubleshooting updates, see Help and Support.

APPLICATION AND SERVICES LOGS

MCROSOFT/WINDOWS
Warning: (Reoccurring Error)

Error 0x80070002 occurred while verifying known folder {fdd39ad0-238f-46af-adb4-6c85480369c7} with path 'C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents'.

Tutor
4rhelgoe
Message 4 of 27 (2,337 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have since also uninstalled some programs, disabled MS features, and disconnected USB devices and went back to the stock HP keyboard/mouse, but the freezing continued.

I've spent much time looking at the Event Viewer and Googling each error, warining, etc....and trying to apply fixes for each error/warning. I have resolved most of the errors, and my computer still freezes up sometimes.The freezing seems random? One day the computer could run almost the entire day before it freezes, and other days it could freeze up and would need to be rebooted many times, sometimes quite frequently.

The MS Security Essentials error seems to be the only recent error which is also a reocurring error and it doesn't seem to go away. I had the freezing issue before I installed MSSE and also had the freezing issue with Vista OS which was the way I bought it.

ERROR: Session "Microsoft Security Essentials OOBE" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D

I have already tried to delete "\MSSEOOBE.etl" as mentioned in other forums, but I still get the above error.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Essentials\Support\MSSEOOBE.etl

When "MSSEOOBE.etl" is deleted, a new one is created at startup which fixed some other people's issue, but it didn't work for me.

WARNING: WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.

(I have this WLAN warning, but I dont have a problem connecting to the Internet.  I have Two Netgear routers, one setup as a "Base" and the other as a "Repeater" that works fine)

I've already replaced the power supply, added a Video card, add/replaced all memory, change from Vista to Windows 7 OS (Clean install).
About the only hardward that's left is the hard drive, motherboard and processor(s)

Could the freezing be an HP hardware issue?

Tutor
4rhelgoe
Message 5 of 27 (2,245 Views)

[ Edited ]

I uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials and reinstalled the program, but the errors continue.

I removed the Wireless card and will just use the on-board wired ethernet to see if that would help resolve some of the errors.

Student
SurfinGator
Message 6 of 27 (2,199 Views)

I have the same problem.   10,000 other people have this problem.  Solutions vary, but none of them work for me.  So I troll.

Nvidia video card?  find an old driver ... like 07.   de-clock your ram, seems it errors when running at the set rate on the HPs.  format C.  but did that and reinstall and yet here i am ... trolling.  msconfig .... turn off everything on startup.   all that showed me was that was video related on my box.  swapped cards ... Nvidia to ATI.  new drivers ... two days later?  crash.

this isn't just HP.  seems prevalent on Vista 64/Seven 64 boxes. 

Tutor
4rhelgoe
Message 7 of 27 (2,131 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had the same freezing issue with the the on-board video running both Vista and then Win 7. I have since purchased thee different video cards, and just replacing the video card and trying drivers didn't help. (1st video card was a 4350, which only changed the Windows Experience score from 3.0 to 3.7, and I wanted at least 4.0 or above so Windows Aero Themes would work better. The second card was BFG Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 OC that wasn't compatible with the computer bios, so I returned it to get a BFG Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 OC. Now the "Graphics", and "Gaming Graphics" went up from "3.2" and "3.0" to both now being "6.9". This card seems to work fine, and hooked up to the new power supply.  I replace the stock power supply, which I thought might be bad and causing the crashes. Anyway, I've tried all kinds of different video cards, drivers and added additional power sources for the video, and that by its self didn't stop the freezing/crashing.

You mentioned something about “de-clock your ram”, and I looked in my system bios, and I can’t change anything related to memory.

I have since had other misc. errors in event viewer, which I googled for a possible fix for each. I have uninstalled every program and feature that I did not absolutely need. I don’t remember all the changes/deletions etc.., but I do remember that I DISABLED the “Aero Themes” in the Appearance and Personalization section. I’m not sure if that did the trick, but my computer has been running OK since. I still have the Microsoft Security Essentials error, but it doesn’t seem to be causing issues, and other users have the same MSE error. I also uninstalled anything to do with "Windows Live".

I had made so many changes since the Windows 7 (clean install) to replace the Vista nightmare, which prompted me to make a new Disk image, so I would be able to get the computer back to the state that it is in now.

My computer came with Vista, which was part of the problem, and I’m now wondering if it is a Windows/AMD issue? I never had problems with computers that had Intel? I wonder what the ratio of computers (AMD vs: Intel) that are having these similar issues?

Anyway, I’m hoping that the latest changes/deletions will finally make my computer usable! :smileyhappy:

I know that I must have spent many weeks of my time trying to fix the problem, so I hope this is the end of the HP nightmare, but I’m not going to hold my breath, but I’ve got my fingers crossed. We've got Seven computers in our house and only the HP computer is giving me issues, the best running computer is the 24" IMac, which just works great with no support ever needed. I used to have an old Mac and one of the first power Mac's, and they would always "freeze", since back then the computers didn't have protected memory.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 8 of 27 (2,117 Views)

If your PC is still under warranty then call or contact HP Support.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Touchpad
Tutor
4rhelgoe
Message 9 of 27 (2,110 Views)

Big Dave, Regarding "If your PC is still under warranty then call or contact HP Support."

I purchased my HP Pavilion a1700n at Fry’s on 4/14/07 for $602.85 and it came with a 1 year limited hardware warranty and 90 day software support, so its a little past the warrantee by now.

As I stated on my original post::

"I had all the Microsoft, Cisco and A+ training, so I figured that it must be a minor issue that I could resolve when I had time.  I was busy at the time, so every- once-in-a-while when I had some spare time I would try to troubleshoot the problems."

I guess it was my fault by thinking it was just a minor issue, and I should have contacted tech support to confirm that the computer needed to be returned. I did contact tech support when it was under warrentee to see if they could provide me with a Vista install disk, but they said that they only allow a restore disk. I wanted to do a Clean-Install with Vista to see if that would help, but in hindsight I believe that Vista wasjust a poor OS. Once my computer was out-of-warrantee it pretty much just sat around unused for most of the time, I would try to troubleshoot from time to time.

I preordered Windows 7 and once I did a clean install of Win 7 on my computer, the newer OS seemed to fix the "sleep mode" issues, and it would only freeze some time(s) when I used it. The poor Vista OS seemed to be a big part of my computer problems, and I had to wait until Microsoft came out with a newer OS, Win 7 to try to make my HP computer useable.

Vista seemed to be the bad cousin to the famous OS Win ME.

PS: I recently met a gentleman at fry's that purchased a HP computer about 1 1/2 years ago for about $1,000.00, and he seemed to have similar issues with his computer. He called tech support with no luck. His warrantee eventually ran out and he took his computer in to Best Buy and other repair shops and spent hundreds of dollars and no one could figure out what was wrong. Best buy gave him back his computer with many internal parts removed and placed in a box, and the computer still didn't work. The owner finally found out the his HP computer had BAD MEMORY installed from the factory that was causing crashing/freezing/BSD problems, and once he had all the memory replaced, his computer ran fine. I had replaced all my computer memory more than once, and it didn't fix my computer.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 10 of 27 (2,108 Views)

[ Edited ]

Have you tried to run the PC with the side off to determine if it's a possible heat issue?

Freezing from day 1 is interesting and it's now how many years later?

HP Touchpad
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation