Question

Honor Student
slimline1160
Message 1 of 3 (2,802 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Support Assistant stopped working after HP Network Check Helper was installed

My computer model: HP Pavilion SlimLine s5-1160 desktop with Windows 7 64-bit Media Center

While I was away from my computer this morning HP installed HP Network Check Helper. When I returned there was a message that I needed to restart the computer. Upon restarting I received the same message. After trying several more times I disabled the helper using Manage Add-ons, but the restart computer message keeps appearing. When I tried to open HP Support Assistant it would not open, but instead the restart message popped up. In HP Setup Manager I clicked on Get Assistance, then Launch Support Assistant, and got....the restart message. If I open HP's Windows Help and Support and click on "Contact Support (Get in touch with someone at HP)" I get....the restart message. I re-installed HP Support Assistant with the latest version on the the HP website. Upon restarting the computer I got....the restart message.

So, the computer keeps telling me I need to restart it, HP Support Assistant will not open, and I can't obtain an HP support number to call by clicking on "Contact Support (Get in touch with someone at HP)". Does anyone know a number I can call to "Get in touch with someone at HP"?

Thanks.

Teacher
PC55
Message 2 of 3 (2,796 Views)

Re: HP Support Assistant stopped working after HP Network Check Helper was installed

Sorry you're having the problem with your PC.

If you haven't been able to contact HP yet here is the number:

800-474-6836 (800 HP invent)

My response is my own and not HP's.
If this solves your issue please mark "Accept as Solution."
Click on the white Kudos star to show your appreciation.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 3 of 3 (2,795 Views)

Re: HP Support Assistant stopped working after HP Network Check Helper was installed

It's a bug... a bad one, in my personal opinion.

Sometimes, and I stress SOMETIMES, you can halt the constant "restart" issue if you reinstall the latest version of the HPSA after thoroughly cleansing it from the system.

Use this to get rid of HP Support Assistant:

Fixit -- Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled

• After the HPSA (HP Support Assitant) is removed, Restart / Reboot your system.
  • Check to make sure the error message is gone...

THEN:

If you want to try reinstall the HPSA, then:

HP Support Assistant

• Reboot your computer... see if HPSA works as expected...
  • If HPSA misbehaves, yank it off the computer and leave it off for now.

=====================================================================================

If No Joy:

If you decide to avoid the whole mess right now -- until HP can send out a fix -- you can leave HPSA off of your computer and get HP updates from your computer's own webpage:

Software & Driver Downloads - HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1160 Desktop PC

You are one of the fortunate ones -- if you decide to upgrade to Windows 8, there are Windows 8 drivers for your system at your computer's website.

It is true that should you not be able to use HPSA for your scheduled maintenance (called Tuneup in HPSA), you should still provide for the computer's maintenance by completing the steps manually.

Maintenance may include (and not be limited to):

• Disk defragmentation (for non-SSD disks)
  • Remove Temporary Internet Files
  • Clear the Trash Bin (Recycle Folder)
  • Create a Restore Point

Good Luck!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation