Question

Student
EUEC_Abe
Message 1 of 2 (372 Views)

HP TouchSmart 520-1070 freezes on blue HP bios screen

The other day I went to plug in a usb cable on my hp touchsmart 520-1070 and the computer froze up. The cable was not attached to anything nor did I fully plug it in when the computer froze up. Also, the fan started to blow very hard. This issue has happened a few times in the past with different USB cables and devices.

I then had to shutdown the computer by holding the power button.

When I went to startup the computer again it froze on the HP bios screen. It does not allow me to enter the bios settings either.

To rule out hardware, I tried removing memory cards one at a time and the different memory slots with each memory card, disconnecting the hard drive, disconnecting the cd drive and had the same issue.

If I have the hard drive removed it should at least give an error that there was no OS found. There were no extra usb devices other than the bluetooth dongle for the keyboard. I have also tried other dongles and keyboards on different usb ports.

Any help on the issue would be appreciated.

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 2 of 2 (354 Views)

Re: HP TouchSmart 520-1070 freezes on blue HP bios screen

Hello EUEC_Abe,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you are having issues with your computer freezing when you plug in a USB device and not being able to enter the BIOS. The issue you are describing appears to be a physical issue and I think it would be best if you contacted HP technical support for repair options.

US support link to contact options for HP products purchased in the US.
Outside of US support link to contact options for HP products purchased outside the US.

I would like to thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation