Hard drive failure is imminent (2433 Views)
Student
dolphindreams
Message 1 of 3 (2,433 Views)

Hard drive failure is imminent

I have an all-in-one HP monitor/computer that's about 2 years old. When I turned the computer on I got an HP screen and then it turned into a black screen with white lettering that provides some computer information (copyright, BIOS revision info, chache, installed memory, etc)AND  includes the message "Hard disk failure is imminent. Please back up your had disk and have it replaced."

At the bottom of the page it's supposed to allow me to click F2 to continue, but instead pressing the F2 key causes the hard drive failure message to repeat. It will allow me to get into the set up menu though by pressing F10.

Please let me know what suggestions anyone has--I need to retrieve the info on the hard drive.

Thanks.

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 3 (2,426 Views)

Re: Hard drive failure is imminent

dolphindreams wrote: I have an all-in-one HP monitor/computer that's about 2 years old. When I turned the computer on I got an HP screen and then it turned into a black screen with white lettering that provides some computer information (copyright, BIOS revision info, chache, installed memory, etc)AND  includes the message "Hard disk failure is imminent. Please back up your had disk and have it replaced." At the bottom of the page it's supposed to allow me to click F2 to continue, but instead pressing the F2 key causes the hard drive failure message to repeat. It will allow me to get into the set up menu though by pressing F10. Please let me know what suggestions anyone has--I need to retrieve the info on the hard drive. Thanks.

Hello dolphindreams, It may already be too late to backup you data. Does the screen give an option to perform a Hardware test, perhaps by Pressing the F-9 key? If so, you might try this, but it does appear the hard drive has failed.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 3 of 3 (2,424 Views)

Re: Hard drive failure is imminent

Hi,

It does sound like your Hard Drive has failed and is unable to boot - usually SMART warns you while there is still time to be able to back-up your files, but this does happen

Here is a possible way to try and retrieve your files from a non-booting drive.  Follow the process detailed in the link below.  The Ubuntu operating system CD you create can run from the CD alone ( ie it doesn't have to install on the Hard Drive ) and I've often found it to be successful in retrieving data even from a failing Hard Drive.  When you've created the CD, follow the instructions and see if you can back up your existing files.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windo...

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation