MOUSE MOVES BUT RANDOMLY WON'T SELECT OR HIGHLIGHT (3857 Views)
Tutor
CdnGeo
Message 1 of 5 (3,857 Views)

MOUSE MOVES BUT RANDOMLY WON'T SELECT OR HIGHLIGHT

[ Edited ]

I've been dealing with this issue for almost 6 months on a Slimline s5360f. Regardless what programs open or what mouse is being used, the mouse sporadically will stop responding to select buttons or highlight when I hover over them. Sometimes it will allow me to sect items on all or part of one window but none at all on others. I found that pressing Ctr Alrt Del will immediately get the mouse to respond correctly but that may be sort lived and it will stop again without notice. This may continue over a period of time, and then pc goes back to normal just like that. I tried other mouse, changed the batteries, update the drivers, and ran different virus and malware scans which all came back clean. I ran hardware diagnostics and all is fine, no issues in device manager and nothing show in system logs. I even went as far as performing a complete system recovery a few days ago, as suggested by HP support. And the problem remains. I see a lot of forums with similar issues but no one has a solid solution. It's similar to the issue of the monitor going black for a few seconds. I'm at a complete loss on this one. Anyone else having this problem?

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 5 (3,829 Views)

Re: MOUSE MOVES BUT RANDOMLY WON'T SELECT OR HIGHLIGHT

[ Edited ]

Hello CdnGeo, Something that gets started when the system boots may be causing this issue.

You might try this. Click on the Start orb and in the box enter msconfig and press the enter key. You should get a small Window and look in the Startup Tab and see if there is anything that might be checked to start when the system is booted.

You will see several items, but look for something like Nokia PCSuite ServiceLayer, or another entry much like this. If you find one, just uncheck it and select Apply and close the Window. You will get a message that ask if you want to restart now for these changes to take place or restart later. Choose restart later.

Then when back on the desktop, click on the Start orb and select Log Off ( not reboot ) and just log off. The system will appear to shut down but will return with a screen that has the User Name. Click on this and the desktop should appear.

You may get a small window that has a check box in the lower left corner. If so, just uncheck this box and the Window will no longer apper when the desktop shows.

This may or may not resolve this issue, but just something to try.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Tutor
CdnGeo
Message 3 of 5 (3,775 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I usually keep my startup items to a minimum in msconfig but I checked it to see if that file type was there but it wasn't. Funny thing, my mouse hasn't staopped responding as it was. Now my scroll lags. When I move the wheel, there's a slight pause before the screen scrolls, then pauses again after scrolling maybe half way down a page, the the screen scrolls then pause....really quite annoying. Now this week the mouse nor keyboard will wake the pc. I have to hit the power button for the pc to come out of sleep mode. I didn't change my power settings but I did check them and all are the normal. Hybernate to sleep isn't activated and all settings are set to performance. I should call support becaused I'm also not getting sound again through HDMI but that's another story for another thread. It's such a hassel to call support and takes so long for them to tell me to do everything I already did.

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 4 of 5 (3,772 Views)

Hello CdnGeo, I checked the specifications for your system, and it seems that it has an Nvidia onboard video device, but also could be ordered with an ATI addon video card.

The issue with respect to the screen scrolls, could be related to video device drivers.

You might determine if you have the ATI addon card and go to the ATI web site and locate the latest drivers for your card, or if you have the Nvidia device, go to the Nvidia site and locate the Nvidia drivers for your device.

This may or may not resolve the screen scroll issue.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Tutor
CdnGeo
Message 5 of 5 (3,769 Views)

Thank you for your reply. I updated my Video drivers yesterday from ATI website as well as I updated my sound drivers from Realtek's website. Both updates had no effect on my mouse scrolling issue nor the sound issue ent through device manager to see if any devices were faulty or any settings were off but all are fine and set correctly. I recently did a FULL RECOVERY so I would think that everything would work as though the PC was new off the shelf, especially since it's only 7 months old.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation