Re: Media M8200n freezing up during use and reboot... (1255 Views)
PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 11 of 13 (1,255 Views)

Re: Media M8200n freezing up during use and reboot...

Are you running Vista Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 1

If you're running Service Pack 2, install this and see if it helps

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973208/

Student
wlhilljr
Message 12 of 13 (1,056 Views)

I've had the same problem, found that 8 capacitors on the motherboard were bad. You can pull the side cover off and visably see the tops bulging. Ordered new capacitors from www.badcaps.net for $11.00, will replace them next week. Hopefully I can salvage the motherboard! Good Luck!!

Intern
pkravets
Message 13 of 13 (886 Views)

I have EXACTLY the same problem and have gone through the same diagnostic routine with HP Support and its still did not resolve the problem.  I removed RAM, disconnected HD, Reloaded the OS, tried Windows7.  Nothing helped.  Same results.  Just like you, I have placed this PC in my garage, and its collecting dust there.  I have bought a Dell.  However, reading through some HP threads last year, quite a lot of ppl complaining of the same issues with the same m8200n system.  Even new out of the box.  The thread was quite long.  People tried different things, swapped HDs, RAM, same result.  Reboots and random lockups. 

One thing that caught my eye was some ppl saying that the 100W power supply that these systems come with is unsufficient.  The recomendation was to get a new power supply 250W. 

So thats my plan.  Thats what I will do, It only costs $35, almost nothing.

http://www.911forpcs.com/3beatposu.html

And if you think about it, nothing points to an obvious fault with the hardware, cause all components seem to be working right.

It could be a power supply or motherboard.  But I am willing to swap the cheapest part first and see.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation