Question

Tutor
MANOLO3232
Message 1 of 9 (6,621 Views)

MotherBoard Defect

[ Edited ]

Hello all, My name is Manny. I just wanted to share a defect that i have detected with my HP Desktop a6300f. It appears that HP had been having many many issues with its nvidia / motherboard. The burn out and stop working after a year of us or when updated your Bios... I personally have been a victim of this issue twice.

I bought my Hp DeskJet from best buy on 03/01/2008 with a 1 year warranty. After a 1 year use of this pc, my computers motherboard fried while i was updated my bios with the latest updates. Even though i was out of warranty for 4  months IN  September, I called HP customer service  Dept and filed a complaint with the resolutions case managers department. After speaking with Case Manager Albert, he confirmed that he was received multiple complaints regarding this same issue and would cover the replacement of my motherboard and waive the $300 fee. I informed him that I didn’t want the same motherboard installed and i wanted a non faulty, non defective, upgraded motherboard.  So shipped my pc to HP repair center and had it returned and working with in a week.

Ok, it get WORSE now!

So its been 9 months since i got my pc repaired and now its happened again. My Mother board has died and now my pc is displaying a black screen with no picture or video but the pc tower is on...... I took this my Computer to Best Buy Geek Squad for a diagnosis, paid $45 for review. Per Best Buy Geek Squad, HP repair center installed the SAME FREAKING MOTHER BOARD. ..

I called HP Case managers and requested to speak with Albert. Another representative declined to transfer me over and declined to honor the repair of my pc. She declined to transfer me over to a higher authority manager and stated that her decision to decline my complaint is final. She said that she has the last word since she is her own boss.... Hp has to take responsibility and accept that they have installed faulty nvidia / mother boards on our desktops.

[Text Removed.]

Thank you all and I look forward to hear from you.

Manny Rosales

Student
Janathan
Message 2 of 9 (6,615 Views)

Re: MotherBoard Defect?

MANOLO3232 wrote:

Hello all, My name is Manny. I just wanted to share a defect that i have detected with my HP Desktop a6300f. It appears that HP had been having many many issues with its nvidia / motherboard. The burn out and stop working after a year of us or when updated your Bios... I personally have been a victim of this issue twice.

I bought my Hp DeskJet from best buy on 03/01/2008 with a 1 year warranty. After a 1 year use of this pc, my computers motherboard fried while i was updated my bios with the latest updates. Even though i was out of warranty for 4  months IN  September, I called HP customer service  Dept and filed a complaint with the resolutions case managers department. After speaking with Case Manager Albert, he confirmed that he was received multiple complaints regarding this same issue and would cover the replacement of my motherboard and waive the $300 fee. I informed him that I didn’t want the same motherboard installed and i wanted a non faulty, non defective, upgraded motherboard.  So shipped my pc to HP repair center and had it returned and working with in a week.

Ok, it get WORSE now!

So its been 9 months since i got my pc repaired and now its happened again. My Mother board has died and now my pc is displaying a black screen with no picture or video but the pc tower is on...... I took this my Computer to Best Buy Geek Squad for a diagnosis, paid $45 for review. Per Best Buy Geek Squad, HP repair center installed the SAME FREAKING MOTHER BOARD. ..

I called HP Case managers and requested to speak with Albert. Another representative declined to transfer me over and declined to honor the repair of my pc. She declined to transfer me over to a higher authority manager and stated that her decision to decline my complaint is final. She said that she has the last word since she is her own boss.... Hp has to take responsibility and accept that they have installed faulty nvidia / mother boards on our desktops.

[Text Removed.]

Thank you all and I look forward to hear from you.

Manny Rosales

Manny,

I am an IT contractor who is involved in the warranty field repair of an HP Desktop Pavilion A6750F. Original problem was a bad Seagate Barracuda hard drive 7200, 12. We replaced the hard drive with another Barracuda. Tried to enter setup to see if hard drive was detected but no video. After repeated reboots of computer and monitor we finally got video and was able to verify hard disk was detected. Since customer did not have recovery discs I left without running recovery. Customer purchased recovery discs from HP and tried to run recovery himself. I believe the recovery process started but failed before it could complete. Customer also noticed the intermittent loss of video. I was called out to replace the motherboard and run recovery. I replaced the motherboard, turned on the computer and had no video. After many reboots, and monitor swaps I gave up and left. It is out of HP warranty but it is still in store warranty. I am going out again and will keep you posted.

Tutor
MANOLO3232
Message 3 of 9 (6,446 Views)

Letter to CEO Mark Hurd, regarding the HP Motherboard Defects

07/30/2010

Attention: Mr. Mark Hurd

Hello all, my name is Manny Rosales. I just wanted to share a defect that I have detected with my HP Desktop a6300f. It appears that HP has been having many many issues with its Nvidia / motherboard. The Motherboards burn out and stop working after a year of use or when updating a bios update... I personally have been a victim of this issue not once but  twice with in a 2 year span.

I bought my Hp DeskJet from best buy on 03/01/2008 with a 1 year warranty. After a 1 year use of this pc, my computers motherboard fried while I was installing the Bios software with the latest updates. Even though I was out of warranty for 4 months in the month of   September, I called HP customer service Dept and filed a complaint with the resolutions case managers department. After speaking with Case Manager Albert, he confirmed that he was received multiple complaints regarding this same issue, stated that he is aware that these devices have a “ high risk defect  “ issue with the motherboards and would cover the replacement of my motherboard and waive the $300 fee. I informed him that I didn’t want the same motherboard installed and I wanted a non faulty, non defective, upgraded motherboard.  So I shipped my pc to HP repair center and had it returned and working with in a week.

Ok, it get WORSE now!

So it’s been 9 months since I got my pc repaired and now its happened again. My Mother board has died and now my pc is displaying a black screen with no picture or video but the pc tower is on...... I took this my Computer to Best Buy Geek Squad for a diagnosis, paid $45 for review. Per Best Buy Geek Squad, HP repair center installed the SAME FREAKING MOTHER BOARD. As you can see Mr. Hurd, I am very displeased with you case manager and with your techs for installing the same brand Motherboard.

So again I called HP Case managers and requested to speak with Albert. Another representative declined to transfer my call and declined to honor the repair of my pc. She declined to transfer me over to a higher authority manager and stated that her decision to decline my complaint is final. She said that she has the last word since she is her own boss.... Hp has to take responsibility and accept that they have installed faulty Nvidia / Motherboards on our desktops. If you check your HP forum, you will see that there are numerous of HP owners with the same issue and same results with the Hp case managers. It blows my mind that you and your company has not taken responsibility and issued a recall or decided to repair these devices for free or better yet issue a full refund. Please not that Apple Inc has had a similar issue with there latest apple Iphone 4. The defects and numerous complaints were so massive it damaged the Apple name and reputation.

I write you this letter today, to see if we can come to an understanding, to see if we can get this issue resolved immediately before I contact my local state representatives and current Hp owners to start a Recall against HP.  I have sent a copy of this letter to the Board of directors of Hp as well.

Student
branodonm0825
Message 4 of 9 (6,266 Views)

yes i have the A6750F and i am on my second hard drive and customer service told me it was my problem now and its my fault HP sent me a faulty Hard Drive and i would like this cleared up but im getting no where... I have the Barracuda 7200 and its my second one and it has failed and now my warranty is out and they want over 300$ for the HD and i paid around 1000$ for my PC...They then had the audacity to tell me to buy another one of their computers!! Whats that about talk about bad customer service!!!
Student
pvelasco87
Message 5 of 9 (6,139 Views)

Re: MotherBoard Defect

HP by far is the worst computer I have ever owned and their customer service lacks any sympathy or professionalism towards their customers. I was outright told by their customer service rep. that the second time my motherboard crashed on an hp pavillion dv2000 notebook that had a previous recalled motherboard that it was 'my fault!'

I bought my notebook in June of 2008. Within the first year my notebook stopped working and had the infamous black screen while my hard drive was obviously still hard at work whirring and the status light was blinking. I took it to a friend of mine who fixes computers and said that he found a recall with my notebook and that he said it was the motherboard/fan that had a defect. We contacted Hp and they decided to "fix" my notebook free of charge since it was still under warranty. They also extended my warranty by another year. And in August of 2010 it happened yet again. Here I am thinking they replaced those with a new motherboard that functions correctly, boy I was wrong!! I contacted them online, NO HELP. Told me to contact the number and I did. HE said I was no longer under warranty and it doesn't show any previous services done to my notebook?!? He said it was MY FAULT that it broke this time and that it would cost me roughly $390 to get it fixed. IT would cost me half of another notebook to get their mistake fixed?!?! How is that being fair to your customers HP? That's why nobody in my family or any of my friends buy any of your product anymore. We don't get our money's worth and we get no help from you guys. Refusing to fix your mistake after replacing the defective material with another defective material is not right. That is the last time I count on any of your products for my family or business.

Student
vidas
Message 6 of 9 (5,462 Views)

Manny.....or anyone

The motherboard on my laptop just "fried" two days ago ! I am 5 months out of warranty.  How do you reach the Case Managers to file a complaint, and get HP to waive the charge FOR REPLACING THE DEFECTIVE "MOTHER" ?? Customer service told me that they COULD NOT CONNECT ME !!.....PLEASE HELP !!!

THANKS,

MARK

VENICE, FLA.

Tutor
PEye2000
Message 7 of 9 (5,284 Views)

has anyone tried the bios blind??? i hope this get to all people, I have not tried yet...

AMIBIOS Recovery bootblock:
1. Copy a known working BIOS image for your board to a floppy and rename it to AMIBOOT.ROM.
2. Insert the floppy in your system's floppydrive.
3. Power on the system while holding CTRL+Home keys. Release the keys when you hear a beep and/or see the floppy light coming on.
4 . Just wait until you hear 4 beeps. When 4 beeps are heard the reprogramming of the System Block BIOS went succesfull, so then you may restart your system.

Some alternative keys that can be used to force BIOS update (only the System Block will be updated so it's quite safe):
CTRL+Home= restore missing code into system block and clear CMOS when programming went ok.
CTRL+Page Up= restore missing code into system block and clear CMOS or DMI when programming went ok.
CTRL+Page Down= restore missing code into system block and do not clear CMOS and DMI area when programming went ok
Btw: the alternative keys work only with AMIBIOS 7 or higher (so for example an AMI 6.26 BIOS can be only recovered by using CTRL+Home keys).
Boot Block Recovery for FREE

Read more: How to fix Boot Block | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2185633_fix-boot-block.html#ixzz1Cv3WmmaA

Honor Student
RRIICKK
Message 8 of 9 (5,200 Views)

????  has anyone tried the bios blind??? i hope this get to all people, I have not tried yet... ????

Did you manage to destroy the BIOS with this method?

Honestly, that post on fixya looks about 15 years old -- a WINBOND BIOS ? 

Haven't seen that name in many many years.

Honor Student
computerron
Message 9 of 9 (4,794 Views)

Hey Manny - did you get anywhere with the folks at HP? My motherboard just fried on my desktop Pavilian 6730 - HP tech support charged me $50 for the diagnosis of a bad hard drive. The Geek Squad looked at it once, said "Your motherboard is fried!" I spent the next 4 hours on the phone with HP, finally got them to agree to a refund of everything. Let me know how your quest is going. Ron

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation