Multi-colored bars across screen (2849 Views)
Honor Student
Zach_B
Message 1 of 7 (2,849 Views)

Multi-colored bars across screen

HI,

I recently got a new HP desktop, and have been having a problem. At random times, The screen will freeze, with crazy Sometimes blinking, sometimes steady, multicolored lines. Everything freezes, the speakers just buzz, and no power is sent to the keyboard, or mouse. I've been keeping track of when it happens, to see if there is a pattern, but so far, nothing. Sometimes it'll happen twice in 10 minutes, or sometimes it won't happen for a few hours. I'm utterly confounded, and am starting to get pretty annoyed, having to restart my computer a lot.

Any ideas on what could be causing it?

(I can put up a picture of whats happening if it would help)

Thanks for any help,

Zach B

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 7 (2,845 Views)

Re: Multi-colored bars across screen

Zach_B wrote: HI, I recently got a new HP desktop, and have been having a problem. At random times, The screen will freeze, with crazy Sometimes blinking, sometimes steady, multicolored lines. Everything freezes, the speakers just buzz, and no power is sent to the keyboard, or mouse. I've been keeping track of when it happens, to see if there is a pattern, but so far, nothing. Sometimes it'll happen twice in 10 minutes, or sometimes it won't happen for a few hours. I'm utterly confounded, and am starting to get pretty annoyed, having to restart my computer a lot. Any ideas on what could be causing it. (I can put up a picture of whats happening if it would help) Thanks for any help,  Zach B

Hello Zach_B, Can you advise the Model of your system and the version of the operating system (x86 or x64)?

This may help in seeking an answer for your issue.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Honor Student
Zach_B
Message 3 of 7 (2,838 Views)

t's a p6670t with windows 7 (64- bit)

Intern
labchic2000
Message 4 of 7 (2,829 Views)

Hi Zach

This sounds like what happened to mine when we got it a little over a year ago.  turned out the mothrboard/hard drive needed to be replaced.

You should contact customer support

Teacher
TEDUinManila
Message 5 of 7 (2,817 Views)

Dear Zach B,
Your pc is a CTO (Configure To Order) or customized pc. If the screen will freeze,or will

not display properly,  the first thing to do is to prove that it is not the monitor that is having a problem.To do that,
unplug the digital signal cable  from the monitor itself.The digital cable is the cable coming from the video card or graphics card VGA or VDI connector (whichever you may have) . Turn ON the monitor and If the monitor gives the colors

RED,GREEN,and BLUE test display then the monitor is good.Else, the failure almost

always reside in the video card/graphics card. Your CTO pc has  one of the following options (need to know

which one do you have):
 Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD
 Radeon HD5450 (512 MB)
 Radeon HD5450 (1 GB)
 GeForce 315 (512 MB)
 GeForce 315 (1 GB)
 Radeon HD5570 (1 GB)
 Radeon HD5570 (2 GB)
 Radeon HD 5570 (2 GB)

See this webpage for the configurable

specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02583846&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en...

Introduction date is 27-Oct-2010, introduced in the USA, thus as of this writing (3/19/2011) it is still in warranty.
In the U.S.of A  call Tech SUPPORT at 1-800-474-6836. Be prepared to provide the following information: Serial Number (S/N), product number P/N , model number, and a brief description of the issue (e.g. display abnormalities: freezing,blinking display,with multicolored vertical lines or horizontal lines). To find S/N and P/N, seek the paper stickers

with HP logo on either sides of the tower (sometimes on top or underneath) of the tower.

Best Regards
TEDUinManila

Honor Student
Zach_B
Message 6 of 7 (2,803 Views)

The paper i have that i printed out after i ordered it just say "integrated graphics"

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 7 of 7 (2,779 Views)

[ Edited ]

Zach_B wrote: The paper i have that i printed out after i ordered it just say "integrated graphics"

Hello Zach_B, You might try downloading and installing these latest Intel drivers for the onboard Intel video device.

Here  is the link where these new drivers can be located.

The third item in the page list is the executable package for Windows 7 x64.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation