Question

Student
fddj58
Message 1 of 7 (12,183 Views)

My HP Pavilion 1730 desktop won't turn on

My computer was bought in 2007 so I don't know if things are starting to go, but yesterday it was working fine, and then today I hit the power button and NOTHING.  No noises, no fans..............I am getting nada.  The green light in the back is on when the computer is plugged in.  Does anyone know of anything I can do to try and trouble shoot the problem before I have to bring it in to be looked at?

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 7 (12,178 Views)

Re: My HP Pavilion 1730 desktop won't turn on

First things first would be to unplug it from the wall for 10 minutes or so, press the power button while the computer is off, then pug it back in. After that you need to start removing internal components with the computer off and turning it back on to try and isolate a bad or dirty component. If it was on the whole time, dust may have accumulated to the point of failure. Blow out al the dust bunnies. ... Especially around the power supply vents and internal processor fan.
... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
RBP Student
Student
RBP
Message 3 of 7 (11,740 Views)

My Desktop will not turn on. The power cord seems fine as the green light is on. HELP

Top Student
Tech_Girl
Message 4 of 7 (11,476 Views)

My desktop did the same thing. It was running normally we shut it down to go to bed and the next day nothing. We pushed the button and nothing happened. At first I didn't think it was the power supply because the green light was on. I even used a power supply tester and it tested fine. I put a new power supply in that I had for a different computer that I was collecting parts for to build and the computer started right up. I also put a new battery on the motherboard. Thankfully it was a cheap fix.

Student
coadirector
Message 5 of 7 (10,174 Views)

I unplugged my Pavillion desktop from wall to move it and it will not turn back on.  This is BRAND NEW.

Green light is on on the back

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 6 of 7 (10,119 Views)

Standard procedure should be to remove anything attached that you don't absolutely need like a usb printer, usb flash card, scanner etc. Make sure the power plug is pushed in all the way and your monitor is on and connected. Try it. If it still doesn't turn on, you will need to open the case with the power off and look at the capacitors and make sure none of them are rounded on the top or are leaking a brown substance.  If the caps look good, disconnect the cables (both power and data) from the hard drive, DVD, floppy if any, and try again. If no luck, remove all but one of the memory chips and try them one at a time. If that doesn't work, I would say the power supply should be looked at or the video card.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Top Student
kevin10K
Message 7 of 7 (9,706 Views)

did that fix ur computer completly by any chance?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation