Question

Top Student
lmcgrath1
Message 1 of 5 (2,714 Views)

My computer is slow, freezes, and often locks-up. What to do?

HP Pavilion Elite HPE 

No matter what we do our computer is slow, freezes, and often locks-up.

We use system Mechanic, defraging, and windows security essentials but nothing works.  Please help

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 5 (2,709 Views)

Re: My computer is slow, freezes, and often locks-up. What to do?

At start up you should see F9 for Diagnostics. Tap it and test your hard drive.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 5 (2,706 Views)

The Diagnostics in BIOS may be more reliable for testing the hard drive.Enter BIOS by tapping away at the F10 key immediately after powering on.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00386164&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
jslidat
Message 4 of 5 (2,667 Views)

[ Edited ]

DO not  try to use things like "Double my speed. com". First thing is you didn't state how old you PC is. Have you tried clearing/deleting all history and temp files from ALL user accounts? Next, what type of anti virus do you have? Norton, just about every version is known to slow your PC, but  not to the extent of causing major frustration and they do have a start up manager which allows you to run only certain programs at start up, and will only let them run when requested by you. How much memory do you have? This is always a big factor, you may need to install more memory. I think your problem is in the memory capacity, clear out and delete files/folders not in use and you may also want to delete programs that are rarely used or programs that you may not know are installed in your PC by some download you may have performed. You also might want to look at what process are running (you might have high cpu usage) and disable what is not necessary Hope this helps.

Intern
JerrySNB
Message 5 of 5 (2,642 Views)

1. What version of Windows are you running?
  2. Did this start suddenly, or has it been gradually been getting worse?
  3. When you say it locks up, does the cursor still move?
  4. If the cursor won't move, does the caps lock key turn the indicator light off and on?
  5. Can you switch from one program to another, no matter how slowly? If so, your system isn't locked up; it's preoccupied.
  6. If you hit <ctrl><alt><del>, does the task manager ever come up? Even if it takes a minute or two, your system is still alive.
  7. Is the disk indicator light on? Is it flickering, or steady. If it is flickering, is it flickering at random or is there a pattern to it? If the disk indicator light is on steady, put your ear on the case and see if you can hear any ticking or clicking. (Don't be alarmed if  you can't, today's disk drives are pretty quiet.)

That should be enough questions for now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation