Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all

I have a Compaq CQ5335fr that worked just fine for a few years (3).

Then one day, it went off suddenly and wouldn't boot any more:

When I power it up, fans (CPU and chassis) start spinning for 15 seconds then they stop spinning. Only GPU fan keeps spinning. I have still blue and amber lights in the front of the desktop.

I usually push the power up button until it powers off. Then when I restart, same thing!

I tried the following with NO SUCCESS:

- clean & dust parts

- Reset CMOS

- Bought another PSU

- Played with DIMMS (put one by one, inverted etc.)

- Unplugged all components and replug one by one
- And a couple of other desperate things
- Put the hard drive in another computer to check if data are there: OK (although had "cant' access"  errors in the beginning
Nothing worked.

NOW I NEED YOUR HELP TO LOCATE THE ISSUE IN ORDER TO SOLVE IT!
Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

Just a quick updte on this issue.

I ended up buying another motherboard (non HP) and installed it. But I had problems booting so I reinstalled windows but could not repair startup.

I did a fresh install (kkeping my old files in a Windows.old folder). Now reinstalling any software I really need and everything is working perfectly.

I activated my licencse and it worked! Thjat I was scared about but seems there was nothing to worry about.

So I am going to tag this as SOLVED.

Thanks to all those who helped or read this thread!

Regards

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello Moyiize.  I understand you're unable to get your computer to properly boot.

You've covered a large majority of the normal solutions for no boot problems (replaced power supply, reseated memory, checked the hard drive in another computer, cleared the CMOS).  At this point I think this would have to be an issue with the motherboard.  It will probably need to be replaced.  

Had you noticed any other problems leading up to the point at which it stopped booting?

Do you get anything at all on the screen such as a flashing cursor in the top-left hand corner?

Have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much AttackpfZaq for your reply. Indeed I would definitely lean towards motherboard issue.

To answer your questions:

Had you noticed any other problems leading up to the point at which it stopped booting?

Actually I noticed nothing that could predict a boot failure. This computer has been perfectly stable and reliable throughout!

Do you get anything at all on the screen such as a flashing cursor in the top-left hand corner?

Nothing on the screen during "boot":  video is not even active!

Keyboard and mouse are not active either.

I have very important software installed on this computer and need to get it working asap but since warranty expired long ago. I was just wondering where I can get a compatible motherboard!
Has it got to be the original motherboard or are there any other MicroATX compatible MBs?

Thanks again for helping!

HP Recommended

Hello again Moyiize.

I can't safely say if other motherboards would work or not.  However, you should be able to get the same motherboard through HP.  Here is a link to your computer's HP Part Surfer page.  You should be able to order it there.

If you want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.  I really appreciate it!

I hope you have a great evening.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help.
I followed the link and found the PC board but I don't seem to know where to click to order. No active links (cliquable). Maybe not available in selected country?

Once MB ordered, I will mark the thread as SOLVED.

Cheers

HP Recommended

Hello again!

Sorry about that!  I actually didn't notice that originally.  That means the parts are likely no longer available directly from HP.  However, you can still use the information there to locate one.  The listed part number is 585742-001.  I suggest searching sites such as Amazon or eBay for the part since HP doesn't seem to have any in stock.  

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi

Thank you for the tip. Looks like it's not available on my local Amazon. I've seen searched the web and found some "refurbished" MBs from Ebay and other strange websites that I don't really trust.

Or it is too expensive compared to the price of the computer.  I keep searching but I am a little worried if I cannot get it from HP.

Alternatively, if I don't find a compatible MB, I am also thinking of just ending the HP adventure there and replace both MB and computer case. That would probably be the last resort.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi

Just a quick updte on this issue.

I ended up buying another motherboard (non HP) and installed it. But I had problems booting so I reinstalled windows but could not repair startup.

I did a fresh install (kkeping my old files in a Windows.old folder). Now reinstalling any software I really need and everything is working perfectly.

I activated my licencse and it worked! Thjat I was scared about but seems there was nothing to worry about.

So I am going to tag this as SOLVED.

Thanks to all those who helped or read this thread!

Regards

HP Recommended

It's always the motherboard. HP uses cheap and defective materials.

HP Recommended
Can you please tell me what motherboard you got? And maybe from where you got it ?Thanks.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.