HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
06-08-2011 10:20 AM - edited 06-08-2011 10:33 AM
So here's the meat of the issue:
After the HP auto-update program tried a shadow update of my BIOS which failed, my computer shut itself off. When I tried to turn it back on, all the normal start-up sounds are there (HDD, fan, etc.) but there is no display to the monitor (the monitor light is orange as if the computer were off or the monitor shut down). After about fifteen seconds, the computer makes two short beeps (separated by about 1-2 seconds) and then pauses for about four or five seconds before repeating the process.
Things I have tried:
- Resetting CMOS (both via battery and jumper)
- Testing out different RAM
- Testing the monitor out on a different computer
- Testing a different monitor on the same computer
- Contacting HP customer support (which aggrivated me to no end that it was their program that crippled my computer and they're trying to charge me to fix that... but that's a different issue and less important)
Things I have not tried:
- Recovery disks (One I don't have them, but more importantly I still get no display so I don't see that really mattering.)
- BIOS recovery via floppy / USB (I don't had an installed floppy disk drive and I'm uncertain how to go about setting a USB drive for BIOS recovery
Any tips that can be given would be much appreciated. Perhaps someone has had a similar problem and knows of a solution? Thanks in advance.
Ok, so I've tried seeing what it did with no RAM in the motherboard. It gave me one short and one long beep. It also made me realize that what I thought were two long beeps were in fact two short beeps. Perhaps that narrows it down a bit. Also, I should add that everything in this computer is stock; I have added nothing.
06-08-2011 01:34 PM
I'm having the exact same issue (as of today) with a customers computer. They have a Pavilion p6210f.
I went through and tried all the standard fixes and I'm coming up with the same result.
Oddly enough when I replaced the power supply I get the beeps faster.
I'm just hoping to see if there is any result to this or am I going to have to go with a new motherboard.
06-13-2011 10:44 PM
I just got a p6210f from a friend with the same problem, 2 short beeps, no display. Like the OP, when I pulled out all the RAM, I got 1 short 1 long.
Anyone make any progress?
06-15-2011 10:25 AM
Same thing happened to me on my P6210y. Right after the updates suggested by the HP Advisior tool. System froze and now only two beeps continuously. HP support talked me into a new computer because they said it was probably the motherboard Hmmmmm. Any ideas