Question

Top Student
crashedn8020m
Message 1 of 10 (4,454 Views)

STOP: C000021a{fatal system error}

I'm running vista.  while trying to upgrade a to a newer TV tuner card (Hauppage 1600) I got C000021a fatal system error upon boot.  I've reinstalled the original Hauppauge 1600 tuner card, tried several system restores, tried recovery from backup CD's I made when system was originally purchased, tried recovery from HDD partition and ordered new recovery disks from HP several times.  I end up with the same fatal system error.   windows tries to load but before getting the windows splash screen I get a blue screen with this error...always at the same address.  (the computer was originally non-RAID.  I was running it as RAID1 and I've tried recovery as RAID1, and most recently changed back to non-RAID in BIOS with same result...I don't know if this has any bearing on the problem.)  Any suggestions?
Professor
Mister_Do
Message 2 of 10 (4,405 Views)

Re: STOP: C000021a{fatal system error}

Hi crashedn8020m,

If you are getting past the HP logo screen and it dies just as Windows attempts to load, it makes me think the problem is device or system driver related. Can you boot into Windows Safe Mode? If you can, try going to Device Manager and uninstalling the TV Tuner.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Top Student
crashedn8020m
Message 3 of 10 (4,400 Views)

Unfortunately I don't get the screen with the option to boot in safe mode.  Should there be a BIOS setting that forces windows to boot in safe mode?  I'll try booting without the TV tuner card physically installed...but doubt that will help.... 
Professor
Mister_Do
Message 4 of 10 (4,398 Views)

I think that's a good idea.

Let us know if it helps.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Top Student
crashedn8020m
Message 5 of 10 (4,396 Views)

One more question.  The original TV tuner card has a 10pin power connector (male) connected to a 10pin (female) connector form the PC.  The new version of the TV tuner card had a 13 pin(male) connector.  Based on advice from Hauppauge I plugged the 10pin PC connector into one side of the 13pin connector  (leaving 3 pins exposed).  Could this have screwed something up?   The original TV tuner card is now physically installed.  I'll repost after I try it out with the tuner card removed....later today.  thanks for your help..  
Top Student
crashedn8020m
Message 6 of 10 (4,378 Views)

Physically removing the TV tuner card results in the same error.  There is no option to startup in windows safe mode when starting up from the recovery disk.  When trying to boot from the HDD there is the screen for safe mode option but it doesn't work..I hit return to try to start in safe mode but it immediately goes back to the same window. 
Professor
Mister_Do
Message 7 of 10 (4,351 Views)

That is odd. I'm not a Hauppauge expert, but I've never heard of connectors being left exposed. Generally there is some kind of an adapter for such things.
Professor
Mister_Do
Message 8 of 10 (4,350 Views)

Try reverting to a time before installing the card using Windows System Restore. Here is an HP Support document with steps on how to run System Restore when Vista won't start.

Let us know how it goes.

Top Student
crashedn8020m
Message 9 of 10 (4,187 Views)

I already tried system restore several times from several restore points.  It doesn't work.
Student
dezsii
Message 10 of 10 (2,429 Views)

My 2004 hp office laptop is showing the same error, right before the login page comes up. I had some IT people it my university look at it, the said I most likely need a new driver, what would that be? & how could I be sure.

my laptop was fine the night before, and then i turned it on the next morning & that problem came up. I just fixed my laptop $300 for a new motherboard, I cannot afford a new laptop, and can't put anymore money into it... it there a quick fix?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation