Question

Honor Student
DannyG1234
Message 1 of 3 (745 Views)

Sick of my HP computer's problems! Help anyone?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, and would really appreciate any help from any one with my HP Pavillion Computer T3510, Windows Xp Serv pack 3.

So here are my problems:

1) When I run software, ie. Itunes, the computer slows down every so often. So even with just ITunes running, playing an mp3 it randomly slows down playback. this happens when watching videos as well.

2) Computer also tends to die without warning, no blue screen just everything turns off.

3) I find that the fan is really loud too - i also own a Dell computer and it is much, much quieter when running.

4) Sometimes the computer just doesn't boot up. So I will press the on button, I will here the fan running etc but nothing comes on the screen (in fact it says no input signal). Eventually if I pulling the plug out and putting it in again somehow it triggers it to work.

If anyone has any answers to these problems it would be much appreciated. Or if anyone is having similar issues it would be interesting to here

thanks in advance.

DG

Intern
Arkaign
Message 2 of 3 (725 Views)

Re: Sick of my HP computer's problems! Help anyone?

Hi,

There are a lot of possibilities here. My best intuition with this unit is that the power supply may be failing, which often combines itself with feeding inconsistent power to the mobo, resulting in bulged caps / board damage. The other thing that seems possible here is that your processor may be overheating, intitiating the clock-throttling technology in the processor to reduce clock frequency and voltage to reduce heat. 

With that particular model, you may well have one of the dreaded 'Bestec' power supplies, so that's something to check for. You can also look at the top of each capacitor on the mainboard to look for any bulging/leakage. The mobo uses an Nvidia chipset which performs pretty well, but also throws out a decent amount of heat, and the OEM in this case only put a small heatsink on the northbridge, with nothing at all on the southbridge. 

In any case, I'd back up your data ASAP, and prepare for the possibility that you may need to at minimum replace the PSU and mobo, and if you're not comfortable performing those kinds of steps to possibly replace the entire unit.  Before any of that though, you can run some freeware/trial system cleaners such as Spybot and Panda or Avira. Another great thing to try is the free trial of Sisoft Sandra, which will analyze your system pretty thoroughly and give detailed reports. 

Honor Student
DannyG1234
Message 3 of 3 (706 Views)

Re: Sick of my HP computer's problems! Help anyone?

Hi Arkaign,

Thank you for your advice. I will try the system analysis software and see what's going on. The strange thing is that when I restart my computer (having eventually got it to turn on) everything is fine. But if I turn the computer off and then go to turn it on later then it simply won't start up properly - again the light is on, the fan is running but 'no input signal'. 

I'll be honest i know little about computers, but I'd like to know how to set-up the software that stops over-clocking, Thanks again.

DG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation